Best dwarf tarantula

cold blood

Staff member
I'm taking my time looking at options. Currently thinking about a larger gold kneed chaco.
Hold on, you ask specifically about dwarves, and are now leaning toward a 7+" bulky terrestrial? Lol, that's a great species, but the choice makes no sense if you want a dwarf.
Are they still available in the hobby? I've never found them for sale. Most people that have one got it long ago.
They're actually more available now than ever (still not exactly common though)....importers seem to have reacted to the desires of the hobby.

Leaning towards Avicularia minatrix -- I'll set everything up and see if that's still my favorite. I know they don't stay out that much, but so cute!
Now that's a cool dwarf...that's one I wish I could find at a decent price.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

bunnyhugger

Arachnopeon
Hold on, you ask specifically about dwarves, and are now leaning toward a 7+" bulky terrestrial? Lol, that's a great species, but the choice makes no sense if you want a dwarf.
They're actually more available now than ever (still not exactly common though)....importers seem to have reacted to the desires of the hobby.

Now that's a cool dwarf...that's one I wish I could find at a decent price.
Yes a chaco would be a big change in direction, but I don't really have any restrictions and this is the last pet I will be adding to the collection for at least a few years.

I saw some small A minatrix going for about $75

So many beautiful options!

Last edited by a moderator:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Green bottle blue is a beautiful T and easy to keep. Webs a bunch and is one you get to see out a lot.
Absolutely second this recommendation! GBB’s are gorgeous T’s and mine is usually out and about where I can see them. :) My Pumpkin Patch became quite reclusive once she matured.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I looked at D. diamantinensis slings and they were like 1/8" and I shied away from them because of how small and spindly they were, I didn't want the responsibility of keeping something that tiny alive since I've never had a sling that small. I guess care for it like any other sling? I still want one but I hope I can find one that's a little bigger. How has people's experiences with super small dwarf slings been? Were they any different from 0.5" slings?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Weird. I've never seen them for sale. I guess it's possible that the online dealers don't sell them but that other people do at local expos and shows.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Absolutely second this recommendation! GBB’s are gorgeous T’s and mine is usually out and about where I can see them. :).
Especially with a first T. Mine is always out except when she was molting. She has webbed a bit and is fun to watch eat. For a first T I think she was perfect for me.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I looked at D. diamantinensis slings and they were like 1/8" and I shied away from them because of how small and spindly they were, I didn't want the responsibility of keeping something that tiny alive since I've never had a sling that small. I guess care for it like any other sling? I still want one but I hope I can find one that's a little bigger. How has people's experiences with super small dwarf slings been? Were they any different from 0.5" slings?
I can't speak for all of them, but mine and the ones that my friends have kept have all been absolutely monsters when it comes to food. Mine was literally the size of a wad of belly button lint, and it was taking live prey like a demon from day one.

After watching it eat, I was never nervous about it ever again XD. So go get you that Dd and experience the joy!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I love the little Dolichothele diamantinensis known commonly as the Brazilian Blue Dwarf Beauty. These little guys are just so amazing cool, but they are incredibly fast. They're not teleporting fast, but they faster than Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens....maybe an order of magnitude faster....

The shear speed that these little guys possess can be pretty intimidating for a hobbyist that is fairley new to keeping tarantulas....little 8 legged rockets.

I love the Dolichothele diamantinensis, but I would never recommend them as a good beginner species.

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Green bottle blue is a beautiful T and easy to keep. Webs a bunch and is one you get to see out a lot.
One of my absolute favorites, I received 5 back in early October. The slings are growing nicely, everyone, but one has moulted and is putting on size.

Keep the substrate bone dry and they will be fine.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really like this species, it offers a lot to the beginner. But I cannot find slings, for sale, that are greater than 1/4" or 1/3". Raising a sling that is essentially just a speck in the enclosure can be a bit daunting for a beginner.

That being said, I love this species and I hope that the breeders keep this species a live in our hobby.
And you “never” will, that is the size they are sold as.

Leaning towards Avicularia minatrix -- I'll set everything up and see if that's still my favorite. I know they don't stay out that much, but so cute!

I’ve owned numerous dwarfs.

The “ E sp Red” very hard to find since Chile’s borders closed. Also they aren’t the easiest to breed.

Easy to find and overlooked- N incei!!!!

Plus- they don’t have urticating setae.

Are they still available in the hobby? I've never found them for sale. Most people that have one got it long ago.
They are- but rarely esp in the USA.

I'm taking my time looking at options. Currently thinking about a larger gold kneed chaco, or a nest of ornate harvestman.
The Chaco is a gorgeous relatively docile large T. Not as docile as T cyan., but close.

My AF female never threat poses, but highly curious- be careful don’t get too comfy they are wild animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

bunnyhugger

Arachnopeon
Okay I think I have narrowed it down to the minatrix or the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens -- Fear Not T has both of them.

miarachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I disagree with cold blood. They are easy to keep, hardy, and fun. They are a baboons,but they are not as aggressive as many of the baboons.
They make massive webs.... rehousing is easy.....

cold blood

Staff member
I disagree with cold blood. They are easy to keep, hardy, and fun. They are a baboons,but they are not as aggressive as many of the baboons.
They make massive webs.... rehousing is easy.....
Really, you think a communal of old world speedsters is appropriate for a first time t owner? I dont see that.