Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Regarding recent Phoneutria for sale in USA

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by syndicate, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaika

Chaika Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    :? Some people need to chill out a bit and be more polite when writing about other posters' experiences. I know it's easy to be rude when you can't see the other person's face and they're just a name on a message board but you are meant to come from a civilised society, so please act like it.

Fran and I were simply pointing out that Europe does not have the free for all situation on keeping dangerous invertebrates that had been implied in several previous posts.

PS - I am actually IN Europe at the moment so don't need to go anywhere as such,..

2. xhexdx

xhexdx ArachnoGod Old Timer

Check the sticky in this subforum.

Your contribution to this thread so far has been zero. Why do you even bother?

3. Fran

Fran Arachnoprince

No comprendo, seÑor.

4. Fran

Fran Arachnoprince

Dont even bother man, dont eeeeeeven bo-ther ;)
    Like talking to a rock.

5. fantasticp

fantasticp Arachnocompulsive Old Timer

I would like to leave this thead saying there will always be things people don't like being sold and purchased in the open market. I had a chance to buy one of these spiders in 2005 and although I was like OOOoooo when will I get a another chance tp buy one again??? I didn't buy it. I didn't think I really needed one. Regulated or unregulated, legally imported or brown-boxed, legal or illegal substances, they are all available if you know where to go. Making them legal produces taxes or fees to fund public programs, making them illegal makes them no less available but denies society the chance to tax and use proceeds for public use. Just make your choice.

6. arachi american

arachi american Arachnopeon

just when i think people can't get any more ridiculous....

7. ilovebugs

ilovebugs Arachnobaron Old Timer

look, I'm not going to read all of these 20+ pages, so this has probably been brought up previously in which case I'll just restate in my own words...

I read the wiki page about this species, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

Down in the toxicity section it mentions priapism... as a bite symptom. ok.... ok. there is no reason that I need a spider that can give me any form of erectile dysfunction. thats all you man, I don't need that. :shame:

8. SDiego

SDiego Arachnosquire

Ultimately this thread was informative. If people have the knowledge and the wherewithal, they should be allowed to purchase and keep this species.

Would I keep one? No way in hell. I've seen how fast they are, I couldn't believe it -- even sprinting on bare glass, they are stunningly quick. You have to see their agility and speed firsthand to understand it. I know I am not the person to keep one of these. I wouldn't want to live with the guilt, regret, or liability if it escaped and bit someone.

9. campj

campj Arachnoknight Old Timer

ID
    I've noticed a funny thing reading up to page eight (or so)... so I'm not sure if this has been brought up since I haven't read the entire thread. We've got some of the most experienced members on this board saying that they aren't ready to keep these spiders because they aren't experienced enough. WHO IS? I've had some interaction with huntsmen and honestly I don't think anybody is physically capable of keeping up with something that moves that fast and with that much variability.

10. What

What Arachnoprince

Exactly the point they are making.

11. campj

ID
    Well Moltar actually makes a good point though (as I slowly make my way through the thread):

Even so, I'd never buy one.

12. campj

ID
    Another good point:

I lived in Germany for a couple years and can say from experience, comparing the Germans' (and most other Europeans') success, i.e. lack of mortalities, with a potentially deadly species is a weak argument. Americans are not Europeans! Their society is not nearly as impulsive and is (I hate to say it) much more educated overall (.0015% or .15%? :p).

So what's the answer? I've seen it too often... punish the capable for the shortfalls of the weak, undiscerning, foolish, and inexperienced. It sucks, but it's sometimes the best thing. If I knew giving up my entire collection would keep one person's child from dying, I'd do it in a heartbeat... what is a hobby, compared to someone's pride and joy?

13. I am Not gonna fall 4 Banana Spiders in the Tail-Pipe!

I resent that....I have a "Pet-Rock" :p And it is Not so Hard-headed :D

I love Bugs 2......But not enough to risk that either :cool:

Hey Campj: Wolfy is doin' great...and MM Rose has gotten sexy last night.....

I played in the background Semi-Pro's theme, sung by Wil Ferrel:
    "I wannado somethin' freaky 2 U, said: I wanna do somethin' FREAKY to UUuu!
    When I say Love - baby, U say Sexy.....Love - Sexy! LUV - SEXY!" :p

A year later.....We will be coming up w/ Funny names.....;) - Jason

14. fangsalot

fangsalot Arachnobaron Old Timer

does the production of antiv make it safer to keep these species? "While venom from this spider can be deadly to children and the infirm, since the development of an antivenin in 1996, no human deaths from their bites have been recorded." http://www.spiderzrule.com/bites.htm

15. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

antivenom usually runs in the ~$1000 per dose neighborhood, only lasts a year or so, and is not in the USA afaik. even if there is some AV in the USA what are the odds you will be even remotely close to it? so there is another expense. and usually you need more than one dose of AV

so a serious bite would easily be in the $20,000+ starting point, if you needed AV

16. Fran

Fran Arachnoprince

Nothing to worry about.
    Lets order some.

[YOUTUBE]dVxTQd50M24&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zOMgx7GQreY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]xIwtGKE0AyQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

17. Bjoern Elksnat

Bjoern Elksnat Arachnosquire

I keep Phoneutria species for about 3 years now and I can say: in right hands they are NO monsters!!

Keep them with respect, and they will never harm you.

The only being in the world who loves to damage an other being is a species called "Homo sapiens"...

LG Björni

18. Fran

Fran Arachnoprince

Well of course, still you are subject to accidents.

19. JC

JC Arachnoprince Old Timer

USA
    Maybe I should start selling anti-venom? :?

20. Mvskokee

Mvskokee Arachnobaron Old Timer

I live in Tulsa and I think they came to the conclusion that its not actually a brazilian wandering spider but something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.