Regarding recent Phoneutria for sale in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hate to tell you this isnt europe !!!!!! Its the USA, we dont want to be Spain or what ever, go back there and buy all the permits you want.
:? Some people need to chill out a bit and be more polite when writing about other posters' experiences. I know it's easy to be rude when you can't see the other person's face and they're just a name on a message board but you are meant to come from a civilised society, so please act like it.

Fran and I were simply pointing out that Europe does not have the free for all situation on keeping dangerous invertebrates that had been implied in several previous posts.

PS - I am actually IN Europe at the moment so don't need to go anywhere as such,..

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
still the same ol arguments and the same results...really nothing but thump thump
so they are here and as Oscar said lets see some care posts and safety measures......really man :cool:
Check the sticky in this subforum.

Hate to tell you this isnt europe !!!!!! Its the USA, we dont want to be Spain or what ever, go back there and buy all the permits you want.
Your contribution to this thread so far has been zero. Why do you even bother?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No comprendo, seÑor.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:? Some people need to chill out a bit and be more polite when writing about other posters' experiences. I know it's easy to be rude when you can't see the other person's face and they're just a name on a message board but you are meant to come from a civilised society, so please act like it.

Fran and I were simply pointing out that Europe does not have the free for all situation on keeping dangerous invertebrates that had been implied in several previous posts.

PS - I am actually IN Europe at the moment so don't need to go anywhere as such,..
Dont even bother man, dont eeeeeeven bo-ther ;)
Like talking to a rock.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I would like to leave this thead saying there will always be things people don't like being sold and purchased in the open market. I had a chance to buy one of these spiders in 2005 and although I was like OOOoooo when will I get a another chance tp buy one again??? I didn't buy it. I didn't think I really needed one. Regulated or unregulated, legally imported or brown-boxed, legal or illegal substances, they are all available if you know where to go. Making them legal produces taxes or fees to fund public programs, making them illegal makes them no less available but denies society the chance to tax and use proceeds for public use. Just make your choice.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
look, I'm not going to read all of these 20+ pages, so this has probably been brought up previously in which case I'll just restate in my own words...

I read the wiki page about this species, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

Down in the toxicity section it mentions priapism... as a bite symptom. ok.... ok. there is no reason that I need a spider that can give me any form of erectile dysfunction. thats all you man, I don't need that. :embarrassed:

SDiego

Arachnosquire
Ultimately this thread was informative. If people have the knowledge and the wherewithal, they should be allowed to purchase and keep this species.

Would I keep one? No way in hell. I've seen how fast they are, I couldn't believe it -- even sprinting on bare glass, they are stunningly quick. You have to see their agility and speed firsthand to understand it. I know I am not the person to keep one of these. I wouldn't want to live with the guilt, regret, or liability if it escaped and bit someone.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I've noticed a funny thing reading up to page eight (or so)... so I'm not sure if this has been brought up since I haven't read the entire thread. We've got some of the most experienced members on this board saying that they aren't ready to keep these spiders because they aren't experienced enough. WHO IS? I've had some interaction with huntsmen and honestly I don't think anybody is physically capable of keeping up with something that moves that fast and with that much variability.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We've got some of the most experienced members on this board saying that they aren't ready to keep these spiders because they aren't experienced enough. WHO IS?
Exactly the point they are making.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Well Moltar actually makes a good point though (as I slowly make my way through the thread):

For example, your 65 year old man reference; reflexes have less than you think to do with containing a fast venomous animal like a "Pho". If you have to throw a cup over a Pho that is running across your table you are at a significant risk of a bite already. The trick is to not let it go for a run in the first place through proper enclosure design and manipulation of the animals natural behaviors.
Even so, I'd never buy one.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Another good point:

In general I agree, but remember the member who thought letting a gravid huntsman escape through his makeshift saran wrap lid wasn't his fault? And then proceeded to get Sicarius very soon after? There are new members entering the hobby every day, and not all of them have as much common sense as we would all like. I for one, would really prefer members like this could not purchase Phoneutria, and it's pretty hard to regulate if widely available.
I lived in Germany for a couple years and can say from experience, comparing the Germans' (and most other Europeans') success, i.e. lack of mortalities, with a potentially deadly species is a weak argument. Americans are not Europeans! Their society is not nearly as impulsive and is (I hate to say it) much more educated overall (.0015% or .15%? :p).

So what's the answer? I've seen it too often... punish the capable for the shortfalls of the weak, undiscerning, foolish, and inexperienced. It sucks, but it's sometimes the best thing. If I knew giving up my entire collection would keep one person's child from dying, I'd do it in a heartbeat... what is a hobby, compared to someone's pride and joy?

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am Not gonna fall 4 Banana Spiders in the Tail-Pipe!

Dont even bother man, dont eeeeeeven bo-ther ;)
Like talking to a rock.
I resent that....I have a "Pet-Rock" :p And it is Not so Hard-headed :D

Down in the toxicity section it mentions priapism... as a bite symptom. ok.... ok. there is no reason that I need a spider that can give me any form of erectile dysfunction. thats all you man, I don't need that. :embarrassed:
I love Bugs 2......But not enough to risk that either :cool:

Hey Campj: Wolfy is doin' great...and MM Rose has gotten sexy last night.....

I played in the background Semi-Pro's theme, sung by Wil Ferrel:
"I wannado somethin' freaky 2 U, said: I wanna do somethin' FREAKY to UUuu!
When I say Love - baby, U say Sexy.....Love - Sexy! LUV - SEXY!" :p

A year later.....We will be coming up w/ Funny names.....;) - Jason

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does the production of antiv make it safer to keep these species? "While venom from this spider can be deadly to children and the infirm, since the development of an antivenin in 1996, no human deaths from their bites have been recorded." http://www.spiderzrule.com/bites.htm

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
antivenom usually runs in the ~$1000 per dose neighborhood, only lasts a year or so, and is not in the USA afaik. even if there is some AV in the USA what are the odds you will be even remotely close to it? so there is another expense. and usually you need more than one dose of AV

so a serious bite would easily be in the $20,000+ starting point, if you needed AV

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing to worry about.
Lets order some.

[YOUTUBE]dVxTQd50M24&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zOMgx7GQreY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]xIwtGKE0AyQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
I keep Phoneutria species for about 3 years now and I can say: in right hands they are NO monsters!!

Keep them with respect, and they will never harm you.

The only being in the world who loves to damage an other being is a species called "Homo sapiens"...

LG Björni

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well of course, still you are subject to accidents.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
antivenom usually runs in the ~$1000 per dose neighborhood, only lasts a year or so, and is not in the USA afaik. even if there is some AV in the USA what are the odds you will be even remotely close to it? so there is another expense. and usually you need more than one dose of AV

so a serious bite would easily be in the $20,000+ starting point, if you needed AV
Maybe I should start selling anti-venom? :?

Mvskokee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live in Tulsa and I think they came to the conclusion that its not actually a brazilian wandering spider but something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.