What is your most visually appealing Tarantula?

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I've seen threads on AB asking for most defensive, favorite sp, etc. All good threads that I've enjoyed reading through. What got me into the hobby was how beautiful T's are.

It can be from your own personal collection or a Tarantula on your wishlist.

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats a tough one. Top three?
Grammostola Pulchra (that deep black velvet)
Pamphobeteus c.f. insignis
Avicularia purpurea

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Thats a tough one. Top three?
Grammostola Pulchra (that deep black velvet)
Pamphobeteus c.f. insignis
Avicularia purpurea
My G pulchra just molted. You're not kidding. I can't even imagine what she's gonna look like 5 years down the road

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
The three current queens of my collection size-wise have to take the title in terms of visual impact:

However, there are a bunch of other contenders for the title in terms of overall looks, like Ampha (my AF C. lividus) and Aranya (AF C. natanicharum). And that’s before you get into the fact I have a number of Ts that are still growing up that could easily take over from them once they fully colour up.

Anihan (SAF Ornithoctoninae sp. “Haribon”) was quite the stunner while she was alive.

Last edited:

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
The three current queens of my collection size-wise have to take the title in terms of visual impact:

However, there are a bunch of other contenders for the title in terms of overall looks, like Ampha (my AF C. lividus) and Aranya (AF C. natanicharum). And that’s before you get into the fact I have a number of Ts that are still growing up that could easily take over from them once they fully colour up.

Anihan (SAF Ornithoctoninae sp. “Haribon”) was quite the stunner while she was alive.
Stunners. As cliche as it may be. I have to say P metallica for me lol. Poeciletheria in general blows me away

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
This girl, with her glorious toes.
PXL_20240819_010354453.jpg
1000015020.jpg

And also, this girl, both in her adorable baby stripes and her grown-up purple.
PXL_20240813_102405085.jpg
PXL_20220930_232034550.jpg

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
20240331103220_IMG_4815~3.JPG 20240721193602_IMG_5066~3.JPG
Rufous, P rufilata, before and after he matured. He always looks so photogenic.

20240721193430_IMG_5065~2.JPG
Laranja, OBT - RCF, most beautiful MF I own, IMO. Colour is wild and those patterns make my brain 🐏.

20240623144751_IMG_5039~2.JPG
Felipe - T sp. Cuzco, Peruvian Royalty T. That has to be one of my favourite common names, and their appearance certainly calls for it. Mine just molted a day or two ago and is bright blue with coppery bits.

20240607222622_IMG_4938~3.JPG
Splendor, H pulchripes. Need I say more?

These are all 1.5" or smaller so I don't have many pics.
Phormingochilus sp. Rufus
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
Ornithoctonus costalis - deceased
Omothymus schioedtei
Omothymus violaceopes
O sp. Hati Hati

On my list:
O sp. Hon Sej
O sp. Vietnam silver
O sp. Ho Chi Minh
O sp. Phan Cay Red

As you can see, there is a loose theme...

The Spider House

Arachnolord
Those who read my lyrical waxings will know what's coming.....

Acanthoscurria geniculata and especially my queen, 'Genie' who sadly passed away a couple of years ago now. 20+ years she was with me and she was just simply the best. 🖤🤍
genie.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
How about this. Is there 1 T in your collection or (was) that motivated you to expand your collection?
Lol it's probably easier to try and answer your first question. Most first specimens from a genus prompt me to get more species from said genus lol.

Fortunately, I have a lot of different flavors of eye candy in my collection.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Like everyone else, I don't really think I could pick a top 3. There are a few that stand out, though...

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I've seen threads on AB asking for most defensive, favorite sp, etc. All good threads that I've enjoyed reading through. What got me into the hobby was how beautiful T's are.

It can be from your own personal collection or a Tarantula on your wishlist.
I would say, psalmopoeus pulcher.
Edit… psalmopoeus sp. black has now moved into 1st spot, pulcher will be second.
IMG_6466.jpeg

Last edited: