Today in the Spider Room?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I hope so for you too but mine has not. Although to be honest I pre kill for all my baby's as I feed morio n meal worms , even my big girls get headless . I never used too but after crix hatched in my pulchra enclosure as he was moulting it frightened me, the crix was in there only over night! He was fine non hurt him but it could of been a different story so I stopped getting crix n started taking the head off anything that goes in my t's viv . Rather be safe then sorry so headless morio/meal worms it is...nothing is having baby's if I pull its head off first 🤷🏻‍♀️
I only leave adult male crix overnight. Females go to the tanks (genic, ihrengi, GBB) that won’t allow them to last more than 3 minutes in their enclosure. I now also put a lid of moist dirt in the cricket bin so they can lay their eggs there should they so desire (because of your experience). If I get free, baby crix in my cricket bin, w00h00!

In other news, last seen out on 3/27/24, I came home to this lovely sight. My freshly molted female irminia stayed out for about 1/2 hr after I got home and did not seal up her burrow when she retired!
IMG_2692.jpeg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
I only leave adult male crix overnight. Females go to the tanks (genic, ihrengi, GBB) that won’t allow them to last more than 3 minutes in their enclosure. I now also put a lid of moist dirt in the cricket bin so they can lay their eggs there should they so desire (because of your experience). If I get free, baby crix in my cricket bin, w00h00!

In other news, last seen out on 3/27/24, I came home to this lovely sight. My freshly molted female irminia stayed out for about 1/2 hr after I got home and did not seal up her burrow when she retired!
View attachment 476127
Was my pulchra I didn't expect the cricket to be there by the morning 😆 he is my dustbin never refuses food one time he said no 🤣 and never even occurred to me that the cricket would lay eggs in the viv. Never again lol 😆
Tbh I have bought crickets twice since but they ended up as pets after the first feed off, still got 1 she's been going 6 months now n was already adult when I housed her , yes she has her own viv 🤣 there was her n a male that never shut up but he died last week, they were Larry n Loretta Loudmouth 😂 she did lay eggs in the moss though so you never know 🤷🏻‍♀️ fingers crossed you get free baby crix too 😊

Beautiful girl! My Amaterasu just moulted about 2 weeks ago too but hasn't showed her full beauty yet, your so lucky to see your gorgeous Lady 🥰

The Spider House

Arachnolord
View attachment 474333
View attachment 474334
View attachment 474335
Fourth eggsack of the year, this is another Phormingochilus sp Akcaya and it's a big one lol. This'll likely put me north of 600 animals produced so far in 2024.

In other news, one of my other Akcaya's is on her second eggsack this year....
Congratulations with your breeding this year. I have also been blessed with 2 x versi, 2 x Pamphobeteus (mascara and machalla) and currently have an Acic Kwitara and T. Kahlenbergi with sacs.

The one thing I wanted to ask from your post was the comment about 2nd sac of the year. Did your female moult between 2nd sac? I have always taken the approach not to breed my females again until a moult so they are back in condition etc.. I know some species can double clutch, but is it actually possible to have two separate pairings within a single moult cycle? If that's what happened with yours obviously ha ha

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Congratulations with your breeding this year. I have also been blessed with 2 x versi, 2 x Pamphobeteus (mascara and machalla) and currently have an Acic Kwitara and T. Kahlenbergi with sacs.

The one thing I wanted to ask from your post was the comment about 2nd sac of the year. Did your female moult between 2nd sac? I have always taken the approach not to breed my females again until a moult so they are back in condition etc.. I know some species can double clutch, but is it actually possible to have two separate pairings within a single moult cycle? If that's what happened with yours obviously ha ha
Thanks, and likewise congratulations on your own breeding projects this year. As far as the female Akcaya on her second eggsack, she wasn't paired a second time. I have no intentions of pairing this other female Akcaya fresh off the eggsack either. I have the male still so the option is there, but I personally think it's too much of a risk for the male and I'm afraid of deliberately overtaxing the female. After I pull the eggsack, I just continue feeding them heavy until they're next molt to get them back up to weight. Some species will double clutch for me during this period, and it seemingly coincides with when they were paired in their molt cycles, with the earlier being the more likely for a double.

The Spider House

Arachnolord
Thanks, and likewise congratulations on your own breeding projects this year. As far as the female Akcaya on her second eggsack, she wasn't paired a second time. I have no intentions of pairing this other female Akcaya fresh off the eggsack either. I have the male still so the option is there, but I personally think it's too much of a risk for the male and I'm afraid of deliberately overtaxing the female. After I pull the eggsack, I just continue feeding them heavy until they're next molt to get them back up to weight. Some species will double clutch for me during this period, and it seemingly coincides with when they were paired in their molt cycles, with the earlier being the more likely for a double.
Thanks for those insights 👍

CalicoGremlin

Arachnopeon
Anybody else have a pseudhapalopus sp Blue that wants to Explore the Great Outdoors? My girl Mouse is forever trying to get out and roam around. No skittish bolting, only slow deliberate exploration. I've learned to keep a catch cup handy when feeding. Turned around to get her a mealworm, turned back, and there she was on the table!
IMG_20240621_181444.jpg

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Anybody else have a pseudhapalopus sp Blue that wants to Explore the Great Outdoors? My girl Mouse is forever trying to get out and roam around. No skittish bolting, only slow deliberate exploration. I've learned to keep a catch cup handy when feeding. Turned around to get her a mealworm, turned back, and there she was on the table!
View attachment 476329
Lmao yes. Mine went from spending 99% of the day in her burrow and getting spooked by fruit flies to spending at least half of the day out and lazily making a break for it whenever I open the enclosure. Can’t take my eyes off this one 😄

FatBadBay

Arachnosquire
Today sucked. I found my 8 year old b. Klaasi in a death curl. I had raised him from a tiny sling. RIP little guy.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused this spicy P sp Dominican purple who was not bolty at all, but terrified like every other sling being moved. Here she is 3 hours later finally touching the ground. She tap, tap, taps a leg on each step before she takes it, testing it out. Hoping she’ll finally settle with more space, as she never seemed to in her prior home.
IMG_2706.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Rehousings in the last 2 days:

0.0.1 Neischnocolus iquitos, 1.125" DLS:
1000024362.jpg

0.0.1 Theraphosidae sp. yasumi, 1.375" DLS:
1000024473.jpg
1000024455.jpg

0.1 Theraphosidae sp. Colombia, 1.625" DLS:
1000024479.jpg
1000024512.jpg

Also, this little female Davus ruficeps made an appearance after spending the last 3 months buried - almost twice as big as last time I saw her!
1000024356.jpg

Finally, my AF Psalmopoeus victori gave me an up close view of her freshly-inseminated epigastric furrow (🤞)...
1000024376.jpg

jennywallace

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Fed and watered all my small slings and rehoused my newest addition, female B. emilia, as she came in an arboreal tank!

FatBadBay

Arachnosquire
Buried my male b. Klaasi in the garden today. After that I needed a distraction so I rehoused my m. Balfouri and checked on the others.

20240623_131641.jpg
20240623_114435.jpg
I'm always happy to see my h. Pulchripes and c. Darlingi hanging out in the open.
20240623_131734.jpg
20240623_114606.jpg

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Preparing for a few rehousings two which hadn't really been expected and everything needs to be set up and ready before the day of that ordeal. Lots of pics and details coming soon.

Lots of molts I've not even updated my thread about. One of my Omothymus recently molted and is still growing crazy fast. It was sitting fully out ready to eat. Stayed steady when I opened the enclosure and let me drop it a headless juicy mealworm two actually. It's fully at the five inch mark dls,so we are getting close to what I've read being avg size.

I think I seen Cold blood say his biggest was 7"? For Omothymus.s. I feel like I've went through this a couple times before with two species of Phormingochilis and they ended up being males. Just really fast growth rates compared to others.

And to update on the S.cal a few of you may have seen my post about.
The plan was to get a water dish in and not even over fill it. Period that's it get her other enclosure ready and get it over with.
Wasn't even going to feed her in that nasty enclosure, trust me she's fine, she's not starving. Well a mature beetle I caught wondering around changed that.

Trying to do regular maintenance with the way she's housed now is not safe for either of us.
And that beetle being that big and in there that long just gives an idea how bad it is.
So I tossed her a big cricket and she took it as food and backed up and was content enough to let me get that stupid beetle out.
She's coming up for a molt. Soon id say how soon I've no clue but she's lost almost all of the incandescent colors on her toes so I'm going with won't be long. So im going to get her out and rehoused asap.

New additions on the way<<<<these were planned. Some I've not ever kept before and few I have already.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20240624_143420.jpg
Double clutch Akcaya eggsack.

20240624_143817.jpg
All good and fertile, even without a second pairing. Her first eggsack produced 140 2i slings. Her second eggsack counts out to 123 EWL's. This fecundity is just insane.

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
Caribena versicolor - 1.0 "Alpha centauri" x 0.1 "Quasar"

PXL_20240625_160700711.jpg

My first tarantula ever is a father. I really hope I don't screw this up; he changed my life and I want a part of him in my collection forever ❤ unsolicited and solicited advice is welcome 🙏. I have them all together in one cup, but since I'm having so much success with my T verdezi setup (2 cups in a durable clear shoe box), I'm going to add a cup of water in an attempt to duplicate their parameters.

Mom fought hard. And won 3-4 times by pulling the sac from me and taking it to the bottom of her chambers. I think the opening of the sac was more traumatic on the slings. Shes currently taking out her aggression on a cricket.

There were a few raisins about 5, I pulled the ones I could. Looks like I've got 1st instars.

Unofficial breeding report (I won't consider this a success until we reach 2nd instar)

Paired 09 May

Sac made 19 May TEN DAYS

Sac pulled 25 June -1st instar

PXL_20240625_154511558.jpg

I really owe this to @NMTs as I would not have attempted a pairing had it not been for his female making a rogue sac while we both happened to be waiting for a molt. From the bottom of my heart, thank you ❤❤❤❤❤❤

Edit: pray me y'all; based on this picture they are going to beat the T verdezi to 2i

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Caribena versicolor - 1.0 "Alpha centauri" x 0.1 "Quasar"

View attachment 476666

My first tarantula ever is a father. I really hope I don't screw this up; he changed my life and I want a part of him in my collection forever ❤ unsolicited and solicited advice is welcome 🙏. I have them all together in one cup, but since I'm having so much success with my T verdezi setup (2 cups in a durable clear shoe box), I'm going to add a cup of water in an attempt to duplicate their parameters.

Mom fought hard. And won 3-4 times by pulling the sac from me and taking it to the bottom of her chambers. I think the opening of the sac was more traumatic on the slings. Shes currently taking out her aggression on a cricket.

There were a few raisins about 5, I pulled the ones I could. Looks like I've got 1st instars.

Unofficial breeding report (I won't consider this a success until we reach 2nd instar)

Paired 09 May

Sac made 19 May TEN DAYS

Sac pulled 25 June
June -1st instar

View attachment 476667

I really owe this to @NMTs as I would not have attempted a pairing had it not been for his female making a rogue sac while we both happened to be waiting for a molt. From the bottom of my heart, thank you ❤❤❤❤❤❤
Congratulations! Now you REALLY need to start melting holes lol.