Today in the Spider Room?

jennywallace

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Got back from 6 days holiday, checked on the inverts and everyone is looking good. Moults from my juvenile female Thrixopelma ockerti and my bigger juvenile Psalmopoeus irminia.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Collecting molts is easy. Collecting eggsacks is a greater challenge ;) .
View attachment 477674
They look like they were all healthy sacs..
Your living my actual dream.
Yeah felt like I should make at least one thing more clear. The process of venting 600,800 sling pots. I've seen one device out in Europe anyways that had my brain going and I'm confident I could make a version of my own. That's about the only task I feel for me would be the worst.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
They look like they were all healthy sacs..
Your living my actual dream.
Yeah felt like I should make at least one thing more clear. The process of venting 600,800 sling pots. I've seen one device out in Europe anyways that had my brain going and I'm confident I could make a version of my own. That's about the only task I feel for me would be the worst.
Think one was a phantom irminia, but it's a wash as I've tossed atleast one eggsack that had a few EWL's smeared on the inside from playing tug of war with the female.

As far as enclosure prep, I to have my own designs and plans for efficiency there. Got a two step system designed on paper to go from blank 5.5oz deli fresh from the sleeve to a completed enclosure with starter burrow in 4 seconds. I just need to prioritize acquiring a computer capable of CAD, as I have a 3D printer designed for prototyping and I know of a relatively cheap service for one-off metal 3D prints.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Think one was a phantom irminia, but it's a wash as I've tossed atleast one eggsack that had a few EWL's smeared on the inside from playing tug of war with the female.

As far as enclosure prep, I to have my own designs and plans for efficiency there. Got a two step system designed on paper to go from blank 5.5oz deli fresh from the sleeve to a completed enclosure with starter burrow in 4 seconds. I just need to prioritize acquiring a computer capable of CAD, as I have a 3D printer designed for prototyping and I know of a relatively cheap service for one-off metal 3D prints.
Believe me I had no doubt something like that wasn't already in the works.
What I seen was a device that just poked a series of tiny holes in sling pots,and they admitted that only a certain shape/type would work. These had the square bottom but round top. It was also capable of cutting the holes for insert able vents of different sizes.

I've already got a tool that I use to cut a port in kick drums for mic placement etc etc I can get it to work the same if I needed something like that.

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
Exactly 150 Caribena versicolor slings have been housed.

I still have to build 4 more shelves and do some slight rearranging in the spider room, to make room for these turds who are just now darkening. Thank goodness it's my "weekend"
PXL_20240708_140347169.jpg
T verdezi, 65 days post sac drop

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
What is the meaning of this??? The internet said I'd have days, not a day

Cute as hell though, so I can't be mad
PXL_20240709_130549166.jpg

T verdezi 66 days post sac drop

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Last night’s adventures in T keeping.. First rehouse of a fossorial (other than a sling). My thoughts were. 1) Put rehouse bottle over hole. 2) Gently poke other side with end of paintbrush.
Expected Result: E murinus comes out of hole and into said rehouse bottle. Slide the bottom on and Badda-bing-badda- boom T ready to go in new home.
I’ll give those of you that are experienced with rehousing fossorials a minute to recover from your laughing fit.
What actually happened: E murinus flies out of hole into the bottle, makes three chaotic rounds and disappears back down the hole.. all in about a second and a half.
After digging out part of the soil and removing the plant, I finally ended up using the bag method, dumping out an unhappy spider with the remainder of the soil. Hoping she gets settled in her new home soon and we retain our feeding practice where I open the lid, she runs down her hole, turns around and sticks her feet out, like a kid sitting at the dinner table with a fork and spoon in hand.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Last night’s adventures in T keeping.. First rehouse of a fossorial (other than a sling). My thoughts were. 1) Put rehouse bottle over hole. 2) Gently poke other side with end of paintbrush.
Expected Result: E murinus comes out of hole and into said rehouse bottle. Slide the bottom on and Badda-bing-badda- boom T ready to go in new home.
I’ll give those of you that are experienced with rehousing fossorials a minute to recover from your laughing fit.
What actually happened: E murinus flies out of hole into the bottle, makes three chaotic rounds and disappears back down the hole.. all in about a second and a half.
After digging out part of the soil and removing the plant, I finally ended up using the bag method, dumping out an unhappy spider with the remainder of the soil. Hoping she gets settled in her new home soon and we retain our feeding practice where I open the lid, she runs down her hole, turns around and sticks her feet out, like a kid sitting at the dinner table with a fork and spoon in hand.
A lot of mine are fossorial species, and rehousings are always entertaining! For feeding, I've made holes in the lid of their enclosures that are big enough to drop an appropriately sized cricket/roach/mealworm through. This allows me to feed them without having to remove the lids, and they will usually come all the way out of the burrow to snatch their prey - some even come all the way to the lid to help me get the feeder through. 😆 I actually do this with almost all my T's that aren't slings, just so I don't have to disturb them as much at feeding time. Might be something for you to try...

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
FIRST BLOOD
PXL_20240709_235932935.jpg

About half of them didn't eat, so they got 2 prekilled baby crickets. Took me about 5 hours to feed 150. Am I doing it right? Haven't sat in one spot this long since medic school 🤣

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
A lot of mine are fossorial species, and rehousings are always entertaining! For feeding, I've made holes in the lid of their enclosures that are big enough to drop an appropriately sized cricket/roach/mealworm through. This allows me to feed them without having to remove the lids, and they will usually come all the way out of the burrow to snatch their prey - some even come all the way to the lid to help me get the feeder through. 😆 I actually do this with almost all my T's that aren't slings, just so I don't have to disturb them as much at feeding time. Might be something for you to try...
I wholeheartedly agree. I equip all my Amac boxes with portholes (size and location based on species). The bigger ones gets holes in the acrylic lid with plugs in them. I was fortunate that my E murinus sat out most the time, but ran down to do the dinner call when I started to open the porthole. Adorable. Poor thing did this when I opened it to move her. I had to say, sorry honey, you’re not getting fed. Here’s her old lid.
IMG_2871.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
FIRST BLOOD
View attachment 477940

About half of them didn't eat, so they got 2 prekilled baby crickets. Took me about 5 hours to feed 150. Am I doing it right? Haven't sat in one spot this long since medic school 🤣
You ever played the game at the arcade where you try to get as many ping pong balls in the cups as you can in 30 seconds? I can see something like that working here - just line up all the cops with lids off on a table, then grab handfuls off crickets and just start spraying them around! 😁

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You'll figure out ways to gain efficiency and improve your processes as you go (unless you're a masochist lol).

My own system has me averaging between 15 and 18 minutes per shelf of 42 slings, but that's after years of optimization and experience.

TLSizzle

Arachnobaron
Wow. What a crazy past few days.
Hurricane Beryl blew thru early Monday morning and we had no power from 4:30Am 7/8- 7:30Pm 7/11.

Was definitely too close for comfort! See that blue dot? I AM that blue dot! 😭

1000009366.jpg

The T room got a bit warm at 86 degrees with 80% humidity for days. But they all did fine.
Fed and thoroughly checked on everyone today in the light (woohoo) and got some fun snaps!

Handsome G rosea RCF
1000009616.jpg

D panama
1000009622.jpg

Wolf spider drinking
1000009638.jpg

Freshly molted curly lady
1000009650.jpg

AFS munching
1000009651.jpg

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 478227
Prepping for a rehouse day tomorrow. Going to try and get 25 specimens upgraded.
I wish i had those problems. And the setting that would allow such a problem.

on another note, Carmen is out. Ever since her molt, she has been the shyest N color. Just staying in her ever growing burrow. She was sold to me as an unsexed 2”. I doubt she was that small. She is over 3”, and a proud female. The pink glows.
6B9D3105-381E-49EB-800E-B21FE7461EE9.jpeg

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Got two rehouses done yesterday 😁
Melinoe (C. elegans) got quite the upgrade:
20240712_195616.jpg
Took about 15 seconds in the new home to poop in the water dish 😆. The starter burrow was quickly located and the excavation has begun. Can't wait to see what she does with all this dirt. She made a pretty impressive web fortress in the last enclosure:
20240615_172642.jpg
Mochi (Pseudhapalopus sp blue) has officially graduated from vial to cube 👏 👏👏
New to the concept of corners, Mochi has been studying them intently:
20240712_214850.jpg
I always feel kinda bad ruining their old homes but getting to watch them explore and decorate their new spaces more than makes up for it 😊