Today in the Spider Room?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I opened the hatch in the critter keeper to tidy up Primrose's enclosure and reached inside with a long pair of metal tongs. As I pulled the tongs out I saw some hairy pink legs frantically reach up through the hatch trying to grab onto the tongs. It made me laugh uncontrollably because it looked so ridiculous.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
0F2B26D0-108A-41F1-9A20-C827DACDAE86.jpeg I guess i always knew. It was not so much denial, as it was bewitching, but Gypsie is going to be a mature male one day.

I do not know if it is how i knew he would be male from the start, or the denial from whom i got it from that pissed me off.. or the hope they gave me i would surely be wrong.

But today, it was obvious to me, Gypsie had his path cut out for him.

After everyone who had to molt did, i looked at him.

I blamed the fan, but he knew what he was doing. He just had to show those penile setae.

now the guessing game is on. Will Gypsie outlive my AF B Emilia.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
1000026532.jpg
Those are BOTH pedipalps that used to be attached to one of my 2 large Ornithoctoninae sp. Da Mi slings. They became unattached when she decided to run out of her dram vial after I opened it to feed her, and I put the catch cup down on them... She just popped them off in the blink of an eye. Then I put her back in her vial (after much negotiation), and she proceeded to eat a fat mealworm. The pedipalps were still twitching on the table. Argh.

I guess I need to prioritize the rehouse for those 2. 😕

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
'Tis the season. My AF Kochiana brunnipes kindly opened her burrow a bit after 8 months. Not that she would venture out so soon, not yet.
2024-08-08 22.12.30.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well, it's been awhile, so I grabbed the phone and ye ole torch to see who was feeling photogenic tonight.

20240808_212326.jpg
First up is a young, unsexed Avicularia variegata just starting to get that fabulous adult coloration. Have quite a few growouts and some sexed specimens in the facility, so hopefully I can successfully cross these off my project list in the next few years.

20240808_212029.jpg
Next was a mature female Aphonopelma sp Dragoons out and about. This is a project thats very high on my priority list after last year's learning experience. There is a MM in the facility, so fingers crossed for the future.

20240808_212534.jpg
Out of all the species of tarantulas I'm currently keeping, this is the species that keeps me on my toes the most. This is my male Chilobrachys sp South Thailand Blue and he is as equally fascinating as terrifying. I just received a female today and these are slated to be a project in the next year or so as well. Not quite sure how I'll feel about separating that eggsack, but it's a long way until I get a chance to cross that bridge lol.

20240808_211711.jpg
Ending tonight's photo shoot, this girl FINALLY made an appearance after months of waiting. This is a 0.1 Chilobrachys natanicharum, who came in a few months back in heavy premolt. She was webbed away for so long that I checked to see if maybe she was on an eggsack...... twice! These aren't really a target species for me to breed at present, however I've wanted this species for years and couldn't pass on acquiring a female for the collection.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I rehoused my 2 young female Ornithoctoninae sp. Da Mi yesterday, one of which lost both pedipalps in a feeding/catch cup incident the other day (posted above). This is her:
1000026585.jpg
And her sister, with pedipalps still attached:
1000026633.jpg

Also, I had paired my big female Phormingochilus everetti several months ago, but she molted out. The male is still in good shape, so I paired them again last night and it looks like things went well (sorry for all the short clips):
View attachment 1000026659.mp4
View attachment 1000026660.mp4
View attachment 1000026661.mp4
That last clip is the female freaking out, which is pretty typical behavior for them after a successful insertion. Hoping I'll get a sac soon! 🤞

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 480136
Those are BOTH pedipalps that used to be attached to one of my 2 large Ornithoctoninae sp. Da Mi slings. They became unattached when she decided to run out of her dram vial after I opened it to feed her, and I put the catch cup down on them... She just popped them off in the blink of an eye. Then I put her back in her vial (after much negotiation), and she proceeded to eat a fat mealworm. The pedipalps were still twitching on the table. Argh.

I guess I need to prioritize the rehouse for those 2. 😕
Still feeding without pedipalps? Interesting and valuable experience.

A guy

Arachnobaron
A bad photo but I didn't want to in anyway disturb her. She ate 15 of the biggest superworms I could find in my tub, almost a week ago.

Mated Theraphosa apophysis
1000010291.jpg

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Well, it's been awhile, so I grabbed the phone and ye ole torch to see who was feeling photogenic tonight.

View attachment 480203
First up is a young, unsexed Avicularia variegata just starting to get that fabulous adult coloration. Have quite a few growouts and some sexed specimens in the facility, so hopefully I can successfully cross these off my project list in the next few years.

View attachment 480205
Next was a mature female Aphonopelma sp Dragoons out and about. This is a project thats very high on my priority list after last year's learning experience. There is a MM in the facility, so fingers crossed for the future.

View attachment 480204
Out of all the species of tarantulas I'm currently keeping, this is the species that keeps me on my toes the most. This is my male Chilobrachys sp South Thailand Blue and he is as equally fascinating as terrifying. I just received a female today and these are slated to be a project in the next year or so as well. Not quite sure how I'll feel about separating that eggsack, but it's a long way until I get a chance to cross that bridge lol.

View attachment 480206
Ending tonight's photo shoot, this girl FINALLY made an appearance after months of waiting. This is a 0.1 Chilobrachys natanicharum, who came in a few months back in heavy premolt. She was webbed away for so long that I checked to see if maybe she was on an eggsack...... twice! These aren't really a target species for me to breed at present, however I've wanted this species for years and couldn't pass on acquiring a female for the collection.
Your natanicharum stayed hidden for months? My female basically always shows up outside of premolt the moment a feeder is added.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Your natanicharum stayed hidden for months? My female basically always shows up outside of premolt the moment a feeder is added.
IME, Selenocosmiinae take a long time to settle in properly, especially WC ones.

Today I actually GOT a spider room after moving, no more hallway cabinets.
Congratulations! My best advice is plan it in advance and standardize. Allowing it to grow organically makes maintenance a nightmare in the future.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
IME, Selenocosmiinae take a long time to settle in properly, especially WC ones.
This has been my experience with Birupes (RIP, died about a month back out of nowhere after doing just fine for over a year and starting to get its coloration), but all my experiences with Chilobrachys has been that they’re insanely fast to settle in.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Managed to vent-sex one of the two Ornithoctoninae sp. “Phan Cay Blue” I entered the hobby with as a probable female now that she(?) is showing herself more thanks to being in the new spider room. Whether I have a female of this species has been a running concern for two years so glad to see that likely come to an end.

As a bonus, the larger of my two Ornithoctoninae sp. “Vietnam Silver” is likely also female.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Paired my Caribena versicolor today. It went swimmingly and I witnessed multiple good insertions.
1000027166.jpg
1000027167.jpg
1000027168.jpg

They repositioned a couple times and were very gentle with each other.

The entire encounter lasted less than 10 minutes.

This little guy has been very patient waiting for my female to get into condition after her last molt, but he has rubbed all the hair off his carapace and legs. 😆
1000027184.jpg

You done good little buddy!

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
Yesterday i rehoused my subadult P. cambridgei ....Girl got nervous but we managed!
In the end no biting or escapes so a win in my book.
Treated myself with a good night of raving..
So in the end maybee i escaped...

1000005933.jpg 1000005934.png