Today in the Spider Room?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
2 months ago my beautiful girl Dani Calafornia moved into this viv, I tried hard to make it look pretty for her n she dug out her burrow but left the decor. I can live with that.
Last 3 days she's decided to trash the lot, why have a pretty viv when u can have a tub of dirt..... good thing she's pretty 😂
20240616_094303.jpg
She looks so proud of herself now she's " decorated ". Gotta love sericopelma 😆

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
I did a lazy count. Each tally is 50. No losses so far. I need more cups
View attachment 475633
View attachment 475634

As @l4nsky warned, the work hasn't started yet, but I did take my last vacation for the foreseeable future, and bought my last tarantulas for a while 🤣

T verdezi
That’s awesome :cool: T Verdezi is an awesome T not that often seen available here in the UK. I hope mine is a female, it’s nice to see breeding of this genus-species :D

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
N fasciaaurinigra has become afraid of live feeders since her last molt. Little 1-2 week old crix she grabbed before the molt, she now runs from (Two different attempts). She gladly grabs prekilled mealworms. Scared the crap out of me when I tried to remove the scary, baby cricket by bolting in a circle at the lid instead of retreating to her burrow (I mean the cricket had been there.) Crisis was averted, but another big reminder to be prepared for the unexpected. This little one won’t get live again until after her next rehouse.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
N fasciaaurinigra has become afraid of live feeders since her last molt. Little 1-2 week old crix she grabbed before the molt, she now runs from (Two different attempts). She gladly grabs prekilled mealworms. Scared the crap out of me when I tried to remove the scary, baby cricket by bolting in a circle at the lid instead of retreating to her burrow (I mean the cricket had been there.) Crisis was averted, but another big reminder to be prepared for the unexpected. This little one won’t get live again until after her next rehouse.
Funny enough mine isn't a fan of live either. I have to leave her pre killed at the burrow entrance, the pray needs to be much smaller then what I would normally feed a t of her size too, I wonder if it's a trate of this sp 🤔

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Funny enough mine isn't a fan of live either. I have to leave her pre killed at the burrow entrance, the pray needs to be much smaller then what I would normally feed a t of her size too, I wonder if it's a trate of this sp 🤔
Could be. I always gave her prey that was pretty small for her size and she grabbed them, now that she’s bigger, they are scary. Not doing that fiasco again.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Could be. I always gave her prey that was pretty small for her size and she grabbed them, now that she’s bigger, they are scary. Not doing that fiasco again.
My girl did the same would take a headless morio before she moulted then moulted now she won't touch morio at all, I have to give her headless mealworms instead.
I tried putting a cricket in once n she put up a web curtain on her burrow entrances over night so it wouldn't go near her 😂 I took it out the next day n offered her a meal worm the day after left it on her curtain n she took it within 10 mins 😆 they are a strange little sp for sure 😊

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
My girl did the same would take a headless morio before she moulted then moulted now she won't touch morio at all, I have to give her headless mealworms instead.
I tried putting a cricket in once n she put up a web curtain on her burrow entrances over night so it wouldn't go near her 😂 I took it out the next day n offered her a meal worm the day after left it on her curtain n she took it within 10 mins 😆 they are a strange little sp for sure 😊
Funny you say this as mine now has a few web strands barring her front entrance. Her emergency exit is already well hidden.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Funny you say this as mine now has a few web strands barring her front entrance. Her emergency exit is already well hidden.
Interesting that they have the same defence idea .... at least we can compare to make sure it isnt just our spood being weird 😆.

Kinda cool that they are on opposite sides of the world and are at different stages in their lives but are still doing the same thing at the same time for the same reason.

My girls emergency exit is a second entrance same size as the main one literally 1 inch apart , she isn't the brightest of sparks 😂

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting that they have the same defence idea .... at least we can compare to make sure it isnt just our spood being weird 😆.

Kinda cool that they are on opposite sides of the world and are at different stages in their lives but are still doing the same thing at the same time for the same reason.

My girls emergency exit is a second entrance same size as the main one literally 1 inch apart , she isn't the brightest of sparks 😂
That is really cool. How big is yours now? I think mine is nearing the 1.5”/3.75cm mark now. Her emergency exit is around an inch away, too, though she’s only in a 9oz condiment cup. Her main entrance is formed off her hide like a whirlpool and the other is hidden under the piece of fake plant that she webbed up. Kinda neat.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
That is really cool. How big is yours now? I think mine is nearing the 1.5”/3.75cm mark now. Her emergency exit is around an inch away, too, though she’s only in a 9oz condiment cup. Her main entrance is formed off her hide like a whirlpool and the other is hidden under the piece of fake plant that she webbed up. Kinda neat.
My girls about 3inches now I think, she never brought up the moult after she moulted n because of her making the mud walls I can't even see where the moult is to try n pull it .
I set her viv up differently from normal though I put in lots of decor she could make tunnels in-between pretty sure I read they come from rocky areas were they would excavate between rocks n make tunnels that come off the burrow wedged in the rocks, so I tried to replicate that not with rocks obviously way to heavy but with seed pods n cork bark . She dug down in-between the pod n bark with in 24 hours used the dig up mud to line the web and within a week she had made 2 entrances and decorated them with moss n leafs 😊 She seems to have settled extremely well with the setup.

Front view
20240618_051811.jpg
Back view
20240618_051900.jpg
Close up of the burrow, you can just see where she has lined the walls with the sub she dug up 20240618_051823.jpg
2nd entrance 20240618_051827.jpg
Main entrance 20240618_055442.jpg
As far as I can see its all lined with sub like that, she also pulled all that moss up with the leaf litter and decorated the outside. She has trip wires you can just see too they go over the top of where she decorated and were added after she decorated so I assume they are trip wires not support threads.
It will be interesting for me to see if your little one does the same thing. I did ask viper n he said his never lined walls with sub or decorated the web, it will be nice to see if my girl is just strange like her mum or if it's something they all do n it's just that no one has noticed yet 🤷🏻‍♀️

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
My girls about 3inches now I think, she never brought up the moult after she moulted n because of her making the mud walls I can't even see where the moult is to try n pull it .
I set her viv up differently from normal though I put in lots of decor she could make tunnels in-between pretty sure I read they come from rocky areas were they would excavate between rocks n make tunnels that come off the burrow wedged in the rocks, so I tried to replicate that not with rocks obviously way to heavy but with seed pods n cork bark . She dug down in-between the pod n bark with in 24 hours used the dig up mud to line the web and within a week she had made 2 entrances and decorated them with moss n leafs 😊 She seems to have settled extremely well with the setup.

Front view
View attachment 475864
Back view
View attachment 475865
Close up of the burrow, you can just see where she has lined the walls with the sub she dug up View attachment 475867
2nd entrance View attachment 475868
Main entrance View attachment 475869
As far as I can see its all lined with sub like that, she also pulled all that moss up with the leaf litter and decorated the outside. She has trip wires you can just see too they go over the top of where she decorated and were added after she decorated so I assume they are trip wires not support threads.
It will be interesting for me to see if your little one does the same thing. I did ask viper n he said his never lined walls with sub or decorated the web, it will be nice to see if my girl is just strange like her mum or if it's something they all do n it's just that no one has noticed yet 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think it looks really great and she’s made the spot her home. Mine is still small, so I didn’t give her a lot, just a hide and piece of fake plant to web on. Here’s what she’s done so far.
Feets sticking out of the main entrance and arrow pointing to emergency exit under the plant.
IMG_2672.jpeg
Emergency exit side view (and the first water dish, now buried)
IMG_2670.jpeg
She hasn’t thrown her last molt out either, but I’ll grab them when I rehouse her. Loving this little one (aside from still needing to prekill for her, but she’ll grow out of that.)

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I think it looks really great and she’s made the spot her home. Mine is still small, so I didn’t give her a lot, just a hide and piece of fake plant to web on. Here’s what she’s done so far.
Feets sticking out of the main entrance and arrow pointing to emergency exit under the plant.
View attachment 475881
Emergency exit side view (and the first water dish, now buried)
View attachment 475882
She hasn’t thrown her last molt out either, but I’ll grab them when I rehouse her. Loving this little one (aside from still needing to prekill for her, but she’ll grow out of that.)
Yours has webbed much more then mine for sure 😍 fingers crossed yours will carry on that beautiful web mase in the new viv 🤞

Lmao still prekilling for mine so gl with that 🤣

I like what my girl did but could have done without the mud walls so I could at least see silhouettes 😆 can see nothing with those walls 😂

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
My H. devamatha sling built a side exit from his main turret and now sits in a place where I can actually see her body.
Before:
IMG_4281.jpg
After:
IMG_4299.jpg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Yours has webbed much more then mine for sure 😍 fingers crossed yours will carry on that beautiful web mase in the new viv 🤞

Lmao still prekilling for mine so gl with that 🤣

I like what my girl did but could have done without the mud walls so I could at least see silhouettes 😆 can see nothing with those walls 😂
To be fair that’s like a 2.5-3” diameter, so not a lot of space to fill with webbing. I realllly hope she grows out of fear of live food. I’ll have to see how she does in her next enclosure.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
To be fair that’s like a 2.5-3” diameter, so not a lot of space to fill with webbing. I realllly hope she grows out of fear of live food. I’ll have to see how she does in her next enclosure.
I hope so for you too but mine has not. Although to be honest I pre kill for all my baby's as I feed morio n meal worms , even my big girls get headless . I never used too but after crix hatched in my pulchra enclosure as he was moulting it frightened me, the crix was in there only over night! He was fine non hurt him but it could of been a different story so I stopped getting crix n started taking the head off anything that goes in my t's viv . Rather be safe then sorry so headless morio/meal worms it is...nothing is having baby's if I pull its head off first 🤷🏻‍♀️