Species Lasiodora parahybana

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I’ve seen large boas brought into the animal hospital I use to work at with missing eyes or infected bites from mice. It’s a pointless risk when you can pre-kill.

white mouse are very calm and death stoped (scream a little) but no more of that...
Don’t assume those “white mice” are always calm. Most pet shops get feeder rodents from Harlan and/or Tek-lad. Those “white mice” are usually unqualified Balb/C strains that failed PCR typing so they don’t pass research standards. They can very well be cross bred with more aggressive strains. You’re getting a genetic mix bag every time (which is fine for feeders).

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’ve seen large boas brought into the animal hospital I use to work at with missing eyes or infected bites from mice. It’s a pointless risk when you can pre-kill.

Don’t assume those “white mice” are always calm. Most pet shops get feeder rodents from Harlan and/or Tek-lad. Those “white mice” are usually unqualified Balb/C strains that failed PCR typing so they don’t pass research standards. They can very well be cross bred with more aggressive strains. You’re getting a genetic mix bag every time (which is fine for feeders).

I don't buy my mices, I create they my self, no problems with drugs... hehehe

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't buy my mices, I create they my self, no problems with drugs... hehehe
LoL! :cool:

I assume everyone that participates in this forum loves and respects Ts. I also assume if you feel this way you would feel very guilty if something bad happened that is avoidable.

Enough of the soapbox speech from me... :D

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, reality time...

This is a hobby for the keeping of predatious animals. The tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes etc. that we all love survive by killing and devouring other animals--and that means anything they can catch and kill. Wimpering about "it's cruel, you should use crix because they feel no pain... yakety schmakety" is out of place here. These are equal-opportunity predators, killing all sorts of things in the wild: bugs, lizards, amphibians, snakes, and mammals. If killing bothers you, GO HUG A TREE!

Personally, I enjoy watching a T capture large prey. Maybe it's a guy thing, but I like watching the hunting / devouring of small, helpless animals (especially vile rodents--I despise rodents) by an enormous and voracious tarantula. If the carnage of a mammalian prey item bothers you, then you should stick to crickets and invertebrate prey. I don't have a problem with that, but I DO have a problem with these squemish people telling ME what prey items to use! If you'd rather not use them for reasons of sympathy/ weak stomach, then that is your preference to which you are entitled. But if I choose to use them because it does not bother me, then you have no right to dictate your preferences to me!

As for whether it is advisable, well, there is the risk of the rodent injuring the T. It isn't a huge risk ( the T can usually handle itself pretty well against a mouse ), but it is there still. If that risk bothers you, then don't take it. But if I find it an acceptable risk, then I am only risking MY animals and it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!

And don't take the position that: "Well if you put your animals in that risk, then you are an unworthy and disgusting keeper because you aren't putting your animals' safety first." The animals I keep exist for my pleasure. I keep them because I enjoy them. If eating my tarantulas gives me enjoyment, then I have the right to do that; and if feeding my T's mammalian prey gives me enjoyment, then I have the right to do that as well.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But if I find it an acceptable risk, then I am only risking MY animals and it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!
It becomes “our” business when you bring it up in a public forum. If you don’t want other opinions on the subject then keep it private or to those that strictly agree with you.

BTW I’m far from some tree hugging hippy! :evil:

I also I have to add, the images that TheDarkness originally posted are not of an adult mouse. It’s very young (I would guess around 21 days old) which would reduce risks even more.

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also I have to add, the images that TheDarkness originally posted are not of an adult mouse. It’s very young (I would guess around 21 days old) which would reduce risks even more.
you are right, 3 weeks old...

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I always find it strange when I see threads like this because in the UK the feeding of live vertebrates is banned unless the animal is starving.

Yet we seem to get on OK and without risking our animals.:D

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always find it strange when I see threads like this because in the UK the feeding of live vertebrates is banned unless the animal is starving.

Yet we seem to get on OK and without risking our animals.:D
REALLY??

I think some day all alive food will banned too...

we can only feed T's with pizza, cakes, pies, creams, perhaps ration for T ...

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
REALLY??

I think some day all alive food will banned too...

we can only feed T's with pizza, cakes, pies, creams, perhaps ration for T ...
No, that's for us to kill ourselves with.

For the record, I don't so much care about the 'risk' regarding sharp rodent teeth; it's just that a mouse, as a bird, as any vertebrate, must have a much more complex brain and nervous system than an ancient invertebrate such as the bird spider. (Which implies ability to feel pain, among other things; and no, I don't think fish does that as well)
And vocal chords.

Scott C.

ArachnoScott
Old Timer
....... then you have no right to dictate your preferences to me!......
Sure people do.... It's just a bunch of holier-than-thou, redundant, nonsense though....
I think it's useless to feed large live prey because I don't get a kick out of it, I don't want a dead T, and it is a needless waste. I do use appropriately sized live prey. My t's are healthy as far as I know. I think the conclusions drawn about people in these threads are funny as hell.....
Happy feeding, whatever it may be.

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To put a little of light in this discussion

Extracted text from Keeper's guide page 145
The Peculiar Case of the Mouse
Rats or mice, however, have good reasonfor avoiding T's. Rodents, it wold seem, are abnomally sensitive to T venom, and therefore are notoriously unreliable as predictors of toxicity in humans. Or, stated the other way, the venom of many T seems to be intended specifically for killing rodents (Baerg 1922,1925, 1929, 1939b and 1958).
This causes us to reflect on a peculiar aspect of T biology. Over evolutionary time, what might have been one of the T most fearsom enemies?
The answear is "Any predator that is quicker, fiercer, and smarter than a T, and that could easily enter the T lair and do battle with it in the confines of its own borrow."
Small rodents fit that bill almost exactly. Perhaps the T venom is not terribly useful for subduing insects or other small prey because fangs alone are more than adequate. Perhaps their venom evolved as a means of defending them agains their real archenemies, the rodents.

this is all purely conjecture, of course, but very interesting conjecture indeed.
OK. this text can be use for both sides, the venom is effective against mouse.
It can be used as defensive only or can be use to kill and eat the mouse.

I believe in the second hipothesys. why? because the mouse NEED to know that T have this weapon to avoid them, but I dont think the mouse know that :D :D
I believe it is used to kill them...

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think all this discussion is totally unnecessary...

aew dark esfrega na kra deles q as kranga realmente comem roedores!!!

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's funny how just about every vertebrate prey thread I read in the tarantula forums has one of these arguments in it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ahaha!

that's great. i love when they get into goofy position to charge

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats he dreaming about? Makes you wonder! LOL Waiting for a cowgirl tarantula to come ride him? LOLOL

Nice pics! You gonna send him out?