Species Lasiodora parahybana

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I still think that the mouse was a thad too big for the spider. I understand all your aguments for the rest. I like them to display agility and fierceness, but I had the same thrills watching my Avic catch a moth in midair. The blood is not the kick!
== Watching arboreals catch something out of the air is more fun. To me, feeding big slow terrestrials large cockroaches is interesting enough. And, come to think of it, fish.

Dumaw

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is nothing wrong with feeding T’s an adult mouse. Not to attack anyone, but killing crickets and pinkies is just as “inhumane” as an adult mouse.
yes, thats it

what if we were crickets lovers, and every thread of a T eating a cricket, or a roach, we get pissed about it?

its all a matter of personal opinion

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
There is nothing wrong with feeding T’s an adult mouse. Not to attack anyone, but killing crickets and pinkies is just as “inhumane” as an adult mouse.
well...blondi, you've been here long enough I'm sure you've seen the threads about the differences between invertebrates nervous systems and vertebrates (and other "higher" life forms) nervous systems. Inverts do not feel pain...they sense something is wrong...but not pain. So I have to disagree, there is a large difference between killing crickets and killing a live mouse.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Personally, I see no reason to risk your spider's life over a silly mouse. Can a spider be killed by a mouse? Sure. Does it always happen? Of course not.

Once you have the spider in a cage, "natural" pretty much goes out the window. Your responsibility at that point is to take care of the organism that you're keeping in captivity. Risking its life over a $2.00 mouse isn't in the "responsible" column. :)

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well...blondi, you've been here long enough I'm sure you've seen the threads about the differences between invertebrates nervous systems and vertebrates (and other "higher" life forms) nervous systems. Inverts do not feel pain...they sense something is wrong...but not pain. So I have to disagree, there is a large difference between killing crickets and killing a live mouse.
Scientific referenses or articles to back this information up please. Do you really belive that tarantulas don't feel pain? Shultz & Shultz for one strongly disagree in The Tarantula Keepers Guide, and I do too.

You know what? Even if you did have up to date scientific evidence for this I'd still disbelive it. Paradigm shift after paradigm shift puts us on our asses time and again. It's not even funny any more.

I hope you don't see this post as an attack, it's not intended that way.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
for this I'd still disbelive it. Paradigm shift after paradigm shift puts us on our asses time and again.

So you don't think there's a possibility you could be "put on your ass" regarding your disbelief that they don't feel pain?

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So you don't think there's a possibility you could be "put on your ass" regarding your disbelief that they don't feel pain?
Oh yes indeed. And hopefully so. But...It'll take some convincing for that. 40 years ago we still operated on infants without anaesthetics, and were clubbing psych patients, that's how brilliant we are regarding our own kind, so when it comes to invertabrates that can't even communicate with us in the first place....well...

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
5 years to get to 7"? :? when did it last molt? Mine hit 6" about 2 months ago and is a little over a year and a half old...

Either way, very nice tarantula! Can't wait til mine is full grown...I'd say she is probably the one T I can honestly say I'm attached to :) The rest of em...if they died, sure i'd be sad but not like I would be with Pinky.
Good to hear! I've got 5 LP's, and I got them as nymphs this summer. I'm going insane waiting for them to grow :wall: Years and years and years would be pain, haha..

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're nice beasts :)

I like how they sometimes 'hobby-dig', i.e start excavationwork after excavationwork, but abandon them before they ever become much of anything :)

Alas, I can't honestly say I miss my adult female though. She underwent these 'periods' when she did nothing but try her best to escape, no matter what terrarium I put her in. Is yours showing any escapistic tendencies at all?

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Vys,

Mine has just started to roam the cage a lot in the past few weeks. But I dont think its trying to escape it just seems to be webbing the heck out of the whole enclosure now. Guess shes sure its all hers now and spreading out the territory ;)

She has pretty much maxed out her burrow, hit the bottom of the tank and mostly to both sides. She only excavates now b4 a molt, guess makin more room to stretch out inside. The cork bark is 12"x11" with 6" of bedding beneath. I just started a depression under the edge she dig all the rest.

Heres a pic from today.
SPB-Cage.jpg
SPB-Cage-2.jpg

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
nice setup there! I'm going to Home Depot today...some of my littler ones need new substrate, maybe i'll be creative lol

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A fast kill is humane. A slow one is not.

My problem with feeding a bigger mouse is that you increase the chances that the spider grabs it in a non vital area and then it suffers. A pinkie will have its head or ribcage almost always punctured and damaged by at least one fang, so it dies quicker. With a bigger mouse, you have more chance that the T bites its butt, then it could easily turn over and bite back ,or keep feeling the pain for long since the fangs will be far from any vital part.

Even when my LP was only 3 inches, it would leave no left over from a pinkie. Adult mices almost always end up in a mess. If I am to feed adult mice someday, it will be to T's over 9'' (and mostly OW ones, so King Baboon, P, rufilata and S crassipes would be the ones) and frankly, I doubt I'll ever do it. Perhaps a juvenile mouse, but a big fat one... probably not!!!

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I offered young mouse to various sp...

Grammostola sp.
Grammostola grossa
Lasiodora parahybana
Acanthoscurria gomesiana

I see no problems food they with young rodents... white mouse are very calm and death stoped (scream a little) but no more of that...

I will continue with the process... I heared from friends, that lose T to Tenebrio and Gryllus, I never lost 1 T to the food... :D

thanks by good words, and thanks by advisors too...

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Scientific referenses or articles to back this information up please. Do you really belive that tarantulas don't feel pain? Shultz & Shultz for one strongly disagree in The Tarantula Keepers Guide, and I do too.

You know what? Even if you did have up to date scientific evidence for this I'd still disbelive it. Paradigm shift after paradigm shift puts us on our asses time and again. It's not even funny any more.
thanks, i won't waste my time providing information to those that won't listen. You are basically saying that you prefer to form your opinions based solely on your personal views without any regard for more educated and informed studies. :rolleyes:

I hope you don't see this post as an attack, it's not intended that way.
nope...not in any way, i see it as a post that shows blatant ignorance though :D