Dream insect/invertebrate/arthropod?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Giant water bug
I really want some of these, but I can't find anyone selling them (currently). I want some bad enough that I waded through a marsh up to my waist with a headlamp and dip net at 2:00 am. All I caught was a fishing spider that I later released. I know they're in my area because I found one frozen in ice in a nearby pond awhile back.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
I really want some of these, but I can't find anyone selling them (currently). I want some bad enough that I waded through a marsh up to my waist with a headlamp and dip net at 2:00 am. All I caught was a fishing spider that I later released. I know they're in my area because I found one frozen in ice in a nearby pond awhile back.
keep on going! i'm sure you'll find one eventually!

Sheldon13

Arachnopeon
Oooh I would LOVE some giant African land snails!

Also just about any pill millipede.

And red phase Armadillidium klughi

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Let's reboot this awesome thread. I've got some things to add.

So recently I discovered beetles, specifically cetoiines. No, not your standard Gymnetis and Cotinis, but rather the likes of Cetonischema speciosa jousselini, and Cetonischema speciosa cyanochlora. In fact, anything from the genera Eudicella, Mecynorrhina, Dicronorhina (more photos), Panchnoda (Amaurodes passerini linnei is another amazing species) are now on my wish list, with lots of others I'm not mentioning. Oh, and of course Prionotheca coronata coronata.

I'll be back to add others ;).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Let's reboot this awesome thread. I've got some things to add.

So recently I discovered beetles, specifically cetoiines. No, not your standard Gymnetis and Cotinis, but rather the likes of Cetonischema speciosa jousselini, and Cetonischema speciosa cyanochlora. In fact, anything from the genera Eudicella, Mecynorrhina, Dicronorhina (more photos), Panchnoda (Amaurodes passerini linnei is another amazing species) is now on my wish list, with lots of others I'm not mentioning. Oh, and of course Prionotheca coronata coronata.

I'll be back to add others ;).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Why do you torture yourself and others in the US (especially me), knowing we can't get them here? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Seriously, those are amazing :D

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Why do you torture yourself and others in the US (especially me), knowing we can't get them here? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Seriously, those are amazing :D
These species may not be that inaccessible. I am having the conversation with the USDA about lessening the permit requirement on some beetles. It may not result in anything, but I am learning that containment facilities may not be as complicated as we have thought.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
These species may not be that inaccessible. I am having the conversation with the USDA about lessening the permit requirement on some beetles.
Appreciate all you're doing, good luck. If you need anything like testimonials, petitions signed, etc. you can count me in.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@SonsofArachne, I am currently pursuing the permits along with @The Mantis Menagerie to keep these. As he said above, it may not be as complicated or difficult as previously thought to have an acceptable containment facility. For now, all I can do is hope that it works out. If it does, maybe more enthusiasts will pursue the necessary permits and exotic species can finally come to the US...legally.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
@SonsofArachne, I am currently pursuing the permits along with @The Mantis Menagerie to keep these. As he said above, it may not be as complicated or difficult as previously thought to have an acceptable containment facility. For now, all I can do is hope that it works out. If it does, maybe more enthusiasts will pursue the necessary permits and exotic species can finally come to the US...legally.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
As I said above, appreciate it and if I can be of help in my time-limited way (don't have a lot spare time now, less in the near future) let me know. I've already noticed non-native stags being sold out of the US on ebay, so at some point (unless there's a crackdown) they may end up like phasmids - illegal and no one seems to care. But I personally would rather see them just be flat-out legal, better for everyone in the long run.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Appreciate all you're doing, good luck. If you need anything like testimonials, petitions signed, etc. you can count me in.
I am hoping that I can find enough evidence to show that there is no reason to regulate a number of species in the first place. At the very least, I hope to persuade the officials to consider removing the containment requirement from many of the exotics in the hobby. I do not anticipate either of these needing a show of support from the hobby, but I appreciate the offer. If you know of any reputable resources (looking for scientific papers and things outside of the hobby) that describe the diets of exotic insects, particularly beetles, then that would be helpful.
I've already noticed non-native stags being sold out of the US on ebay
Unfortunately, I anticipate this discouraging hobbyists from trying to comply with USDA regulations. As the number of exotics available illegally increases, there is less of an incentive to try and acquire the proper permits.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Someone is living in the optimistic past
And yet the person selling them has been on ebay at least a year and it doesn't seem like anyone's shutting him down. So I'm just looking at the evidence (admittedly limited).

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
And yet the person selling them has been on ebay at least a year and it doesn't seem like anyone's shutting him down. So I'm just looking at the evidence (admittedly limited).
You are not wrong. The last few Repticons have had vendors openly selling phasmids. There is another vendor there who also works for the USDA, so the vendors bringing phasmids have been warned. No one does anything about it, though, and I expect to see more for sale at the upcoming show.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
You are not wrong. The last few Repticons have had vendors openly selling phasmids. There is another vendor there who also works for the USDA, so the vendors bringing phasmids have been warned. No one does anything about it, though, and I expect to see more for sale at the upcoming show.
Underground Reptiles commonly sells phasmids on their website and they're pretty easy to find on FB too. I doubt if they're going any where soon.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yes; I hear about it regularly. I don't use Instagram but I get updates from friends and it seems that Instagram is a hotbed for the less-than-legal side of the hobby. It is massively frustrating to see how people so blatantly flaunt the laws to the point where brown boxing is becoming a norm, and not just for exotic insects. I understand picking up some captive bred specimens from a local breeder, but to import WC species from outside the US illegally just puts a bad name to the hobby (I've come a long way from my original opinions on this matter).
As for reptile shows, even government agencies such as USFWS set up a few tables down from vendors selling illegal insects. Granted they don't regulate exotic insects, at least not the kinds we are interested in, but you'd think they'd still pass on info to the USDA/APHIS.

Underground Reptiles should not be supported by any respectable enthusiast to my understanding (F rating from the Better Business Bureau), although if I am wrong someone please correct me.

Anyway, let's hope we can be examples for other hobbyists in our conduct on this matter.
It would be interesting to see a group of enthusiasts committed to the legal importation and rearing of exotic species come together and form a group, like we're doing now but in a more serious setting.

Many thanks,

Arthroverts

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I don't use Instagram but I get updates from friends and it seems that Instagram is a hotbed for the less-than-legal side of the hobby.
These illegal species make for some pretty pictures!
It would be interesting to see a group of enthusiasts committed to the legal importation and rearing of exotic species come together and form a group, like we're doing now but in a more serious setting.
Museums have been doing this legally for years, so maybe we could persuade museums to allow permitted hobbyists to join in their shipments more frequently and place orders of our own through their networks.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Underground Reptiles should not be supported by any respectable enthusiast to my understanding (F rating from the Better Business Bureau), although if I am wrong someone please correct me.
You are correct about them. I only mentioned them to make the point that they do have a large online business yet have no problem selling phasmids, so they must not feel there isn't any chance of it hurting them to do. I do NOT endorse them in any way.