Derby Beetles

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Have our current population emerging from pupation, and this really nice blue and cream colored male just emerged, thought I'd share.

Derby.jpg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's absolutely beautiful! What are these, and whence do they come?

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
It's a Dicronorrhina derbyana male; they're a sub-saharan flower beetle (Cetoniinae). They're a great beetle, hugely colorful and pretty easy to raise. Normally they're green, but sometimes they come out with a really nice red, or in this case, violet/blue.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Beautiful beetles! If you get a chance, send some down my way *wink wink* :D.

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Had a few more nice ones come out. Breeding pair and a nice male. Can't get enough of these guys! :D Derbys 2.jpg Derbys.jpg

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oh man, oh man...

I thought I could live without beetles in my collection...how rapidly am I finding that is not true...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Were these deregulated by the usda? I know for sure that goliathus was...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@mantisfan101, I don't believe so, but I believe @MasterOogway is the overseer of some sort of entomological display or department at a zoo or university, and that is why he has access to all these amazing species.

I really wish they were though. I'm thinking it may be time for me to try and get that permit, not just for these but also Cetonischema speciosa cyanochlora and Cetonischema speciosa jousselini.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Oh man, oh man...

I thought I could live without beetles in my collection...how rapidly am I finding that is not true...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah, me too :D Since I started here at the insect zoo I've definitely gone head over heels for beetles. I've kept tarantulas for the past...12? 15? years, and beetles grabbed me in a way they never did. They're just so fun.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Do you keep any other cetoiines? They are grabbing my attention like other beetles haven't insofar, so if you do I'd love to see some more photos (if you don't mind of course).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
We've got Pachnoda sinuata flaviventris, Gymnetis caseyi, and Eudicella smithi for our cetoniids. I'll post some pictures when I get back into work. The Pachnodas we breed by the 1000's, lol, same with the Gymnetis which look similar. The Eudicella are new for us, and are stubbornly not pupating yet despite being 3rd instar. I'm gonna have to start whispering sweet nothings to them or something soon.....lol. Cetoniids are fun though, definitely a great group of beetles and right now mainly what we keep. Trying to get us going on some other groups as well, but it's slow going.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That is awesome! I'm gonna have to try and check out your insect zoo when I'm up your way again.

Have you looked into Priontheca coronata coronata? I don't know if your permit(s) allow you to import, but they are a pretty easy and large species that seem like they would make a great display.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I haven't checked those out before; they look like a tenebridae variety to me tho, neat looking! Amending our permit is pretty easy to do, so I'm always on the lookout for cool new species. Caveat though is sometimes it's actually harder for zoos to obtain specimens than for private individuals because we are bogged down with sometimes tremendous amounts of paperwork. We do maintain colonies of Asbolus verrucosus and Eleodes sp. as well, and have some Dynastes granti grubs at l3 right now. I'm trying to get in some Chalcosoma atlas before too much longer and maybe some other rhino beetles; and then we'll start trying to take the dive in Lucanids in the next year or three.

And for sure, if you make it up the Portland direction give me a shout, I'd be glad to show you around my little slice of invert heaven!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That makes sense. That's one reason I'm glad my zoo is entirely "private", ha ha. No paperwork whatsoever.
I'm starting to seriously look into getting the permit (I've decided I've just got to get it so I can have all these awesome inverts), so if it all turns out I'll hopefully be able to speak more from experience rather than hearsay on these amazing creatures.

Will do! I've got family in southern Oregon, so hopefully I'll be able to make it up there sometime in the near future.

Thanks,

Arthroverts