Dream insect/invertebrate/arthropod?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Made a thread like this in the "True spiders" section and thought, why not make one here. My dream insect would be Cyclommatus metallifer finae. This is a stag beetle with large mandibles and a cool metallic coloration. What is your dream insect that you would want in your collection?

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Phyllium giganteum and Choeradodis rhomboidea are up there.

Totally unrealistic, but Macrotermes bellicosus is one of my favorite insects overall and if it were possible to display the inner workings of their nest (which it isn't, because they cover everything with mud) I would consider it to be the most amazing insect exhibit possible. If that could be done it would be more suited to a zoo than anyone's private collection of course.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
giant african tiger beetles(manchicoras)spelling,and anthias aswell............ahhh someday.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Atta, Dorylus wilverthi, and Mystrium, not that any of those are remotely practical. In terms of non-insects, I would love a colony of onychophora one day, and also a large, long-lived crab. If I could keep a nudibranch alive that would also be lovely, as would a very large predatory snail (e.g., triton or horse conch).

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve always thought about this one.

Greta oto (Glasswinged butterfly)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would love to keep exotic phasmids - both stick and leaf insects - particularly Diapherodes gigantea, Extatosoma tiaratum, and Phyllium sp. - but between the federal restrictions on importing and keeping phasmids and our temperate climate in Southern California, that's never going to happen. Even if the federal restrictions were miraculously overturned, I'm sure the state of California would not allow them.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Atta, Dorylus wilverthi, and Mystrium, not that any of those are remotely practical. In terms of non-insects, I would love a colony of onychophora one day, and also a large, long-lived crab. If I could keep a nudibranch alive that would also be lovely, as would a very large predatory snail (e.g., triton or horse conch).
Atta sp may not be as unrealistic as you think

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
My dream species would be, diacama, odontomachus, and Camponotus Gigas. All unfortunately
Not native to Kansas.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
theres another really cool one on acromyrmex versicolor which is a similar fungus grower that is supposed to be alot harder to keep then atta sp. me personally id love a colony of leptomyrmex but due to the fact that theyre only found in australia, no one to my knowledge has attempted to keep them or documented at least and i remember reading something about queens looking exactly the same as worker but have another set of eyes and dont have wings.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
The largest round/pill millipede that can be kept and bred in captivity -- I don't know the species name, no sense researching it since no millipede imports into the U.S. :bigtears:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
theres another really cool one on acromyrmex versicolor which is a similar fungus grower that is supposed to be alot harder to keep then atta sp. me personally id love a colony of leptomyrmex but due to the fact that theyre only found in australia, no one to my knowledge has attempted to keep them or documented at least and i remember reading something about queens looking exactly the same as worker but have another set of eyes and dont have wings.
There are also leptomyrmex on other nearby islands, but you still wouldn't be able to import them legally to the U.S. without a permit. Acromyrmex I personally am lest interested in just because I find them less interesting looking.
The log you posted was very interesting, but it is worth noting that by the end he has only reached a single major. It's a long way from there to a six million worker colony. Not that it can't be done, but it's pretty tough and takes a huge amount of space.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I also forgot Pheidologeton, which actually would be feasible if I moved to another country (looks more promising every day :p)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
A giant colony of Psytalla horrida (or a giant colony of Phyllocrania paradoxa)

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
from what i read, acromyrmex versicolor are more or less easier to take care of. the only thing i remember is that their colonies dont grow as large as most atta colonies