ATTN: Poecilotheria owner, breeder or dealer.

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
There are four days left to comment. Currently there are just over 120 comments, most of which I believe were generated by the USARK sharing. Please take a second to comment, even if it's to say "Please allow for interstate sales should these species be ESA listed."
Created a comment, for some reason I do not see the options to make my comment anonymous, any help would be much appreciated..

Never mind

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For such a large devoted hobby, the response has certainly been lukewarm.

If you've commented, Good on ya!, ...now you should get all your tarantula buds to comment.

I'm a more than a little surprised at the, apparent, lack of response from the people who have the most to lose with a listing: the commercial breeders and vendors.

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
For such a large devoted hobby, the response has certainly been lukewarm.

If you've commented, Good on ya!, ...now you should get all your tarantula buds to comment.

I'm a more than a little surprised at the, apparent, lack of response from the people who have the most to lose with a listing: the commercial breeders and vendors.
Agreed, I do not even own one let alone breed them and I commented. I would like the opportunity to own one or more someday, however the chances seem slim considering like you said the lukewarm response of the hobby...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well looks like I'll be getting a P. metallica a bit sooner than I expected...

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well being in Minnesota, with the strong breeding group, even if the worst comes to pass you'll still have access ClosetCollector.

I've seen the request shared on hundreds of facebook pages, but as of right now there are only 162 comments. Pitiful.

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
Well being in Minnesota, with the strong breeding group, even if the worst comes to pass you'll still have access ClosetCollector.

I've seen the request shared on hundreds of facebook pages, but as of right now there are only 162 comments. Pitiful.
I hope so, I went on and commented... I did my best to advocate, I picked up a couple pokies today to get my collection started....

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Of 25 comments made to this petition, one (1) lists the suggested information,the rest is mindless prattle and opinion. This is sad, there are so many passionate hobbyists, breeders and keepers out there! Does the privileged of keeping this beautiful species mean so little that there are only 25 comments on a petition that could effect all of us? Complaining, arguing and pointing fingers about who did what and why or how, will do absolutely nothing.
If you breed them do the same^ do you know a breeder, let them know, ask them to make a comment. All comments may be made anonymously, and are much needed. They need to understand the numbers of these species survive due to captive breeding programs and the hobby is effectively ensuring the existence of these beautiful creatures, not depleting it.

Heck, I don't even own one and I will comment what facts I can provide.... (hoping to have the ability to keep one someday)
It warms my heart to see that there are sensible people here. Is the comment period over? I regret not leaving a comment, I had refrained due to never keeping any members of the genus but now I wish I had at least posted something about the scarcity of WC individuals in the hobby..

---------- Post added 02-09-2014 at 08:50 PM ----------

Maybe fewer people actually own or have owned this species than is being supposed? I've always wanted one, as I am sure many have, but they are simply too expensive for me. They are also way less common; I've been to dozens of reptile expos and seen hundreds of T's, but can count less than a dozen Pokies that I have actually seen in person, some were probably the same animals being brought to shows over and over again as display specimens.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first comment period is over. Between all the facebook and forums, the requests had to have easily reached 10k views. The comments are up for viewing, and most of them do credit to the hobby, if only there were more. I suspect things will move along quickly, and this might come to fruition yet this year.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
With any luck, the comments will be enough to influence the decision to at least allow interstate trade of CB specimens.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow when did this happen?? Will it happen?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Graham Jones

Arachnopeon
I have a gorgeous 7 legged! P. metallica sling about 2cm in length and I got her from a breeder here in the UK. She was a minute 1cm sling when she came to me maybe 6 weeks ago but love and good food has brought her on in leaps and bounds. I trust the man I got my slings and adults from completely. He will only sell captive bred specimens because they live longer and he has more control over who gets them. He is based like me in the UK. I only buy bred specimens and hate the idea of over hunting wild ones.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Any updates on this legislation?
They had the public commented on it and are probably working out whether or not it's worth passing. It will take several years before the law becomes close to completion and now election season is coming up it will probably not get much attention for the time being.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Well, four of the five remaining large constrictors were added to the Lacey Act. What's important to note is they flat out admitted there eas no evidence the species were injurious - they were added because they "felt" they could become injurious.

I'm sure everyone who dismised what I and PBL and others said months ago will dismiss it again, but today proves that they don't *care* what is fact or true. They *will* take away access to animals as they see fit. Take the initiative and get out ahead of this now.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
I've never heard of zoologists wanting animals to go extinct, but that's what is gonna happen if this passes.

Okay, this is basic logic, let me break it down for you IUCN!

1. Gooties and others are ALREADY threatened by extinction in the wild. We cannot threaten them further, but we CAN help them.

2. Just because you don't personally approve of the T hobby's Captive Breeding Programs, doesn't mean they don't work. If baby endangered animals are being made in sufficient quantity and often, this could save these species.

3. If they're already in the pet trade, and they're already breeding in the pet trade, why on Earth would you endanger them further by making people STOP owning and breeding them.

4. Spider egg sacks can have hundreds of eggs. This is basic math: the more viable eggs, the higher the chance of restoring populations in the wild. Hobbyists don't just hoard Gooties and other endangered species just to do it. They have the potential of saving the species. Kind of like how zoos breed elephants and giant pandas?

Just my thoughts.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
I agree with closet collector. Maybe we can come together (pokie owners/breeders) and show them how much we care about the population of our beloved pokie species and breed them to repopulate them in their natural habitat, releasing captive bred babies into the wild so they can grow, repopulate themselves and naturally thrive in the wild. I believe it would be much more difficult to do this with captive born/captive raised adults because they have conformed to captive care. Thus, leading to one problem: stopping the destruction of their natural habitat.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
Speaking of: I am currently working on breeding two P. vittata females now (males are in both terrariums as we speak) and have a highly possible gravid P. subfusca "highland" form (courtesy of breeding going to Austin S.+) or should it just be P. subfusca or P. highland? I've heard so many different opinions on what this particular species should be/are/is called. The P. subfusca "lowland" is the bara, correct? I just don't want to mislead or misinform anyone that may be new. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!