ATTN: Poecilotheria owner, breeder or dealer.

Brad Smith

Arachnopeon
Do any of you think that they will really stop us from keeping our beloved pokies?....I hope not as they are my favorite genus

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
According to this https://tomsbigspiders.com/2018/08/...e-ruling-on-sri-lankan-poecilotheria-species/
it is still legal to ship Sri Lankan Poecilotheria across state lines as long as no money is exchanging hands.

We should set up a breeding program, where hobbyists trade their mature animals to ensure that they're still being bred in captivity. The interstate commerce ban means that the future of these species in the hobby is at risk. It would be really unfortunate to see them disappear, but if hobbyists are willing to trade their animals to ensure they're bred, and are even willing to give away slings to ensure they're being kept by qualified keepers, I think we can make it work.

I'd volunteer to help start such a group, but I'm just now getting back into the hobby and don't even have any Poecilotheria in my collection yet.

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
We should set up a breeding program, where hobbyists trade their mature animals to ensure that they're still being bred in captivity.
A breeding program is a great idea. I suggest starting off with a google doc of Pokie inventory in the US, for those who are interested in a breeding program. It should have the following minimum entry: timestamp, name and or username, species, amount, age of each female and male... etc. Perhaps there already is one

I'm still new to the hobby and would welcome anyone to add their suggestions

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
If that document gets made, it might also be worth mentioning who hatched each T, so you could make at least a vague estimate of how closely related two individuals might be based on where they came from.

Russell Gault

Arachnopeon
According to this https://tomsbigspiders.com/2018/08/...e-ruling-on-sri-lankan-poecilotheria-species/
it is still legal to ship Sri Lankan Poecilotheria across state lines as long as no money is exchanging hands.

We should set up a breeding program, where hobbyists trade their mature animals to ensure that they're still being bred in captivity. The interstate commerce ban means that the future of these species in the hobby is at risk. It would be really unfortunate to see them disappear, but if hobbyists are willing to trade their animals to ensure they're bred, and are even willing to give away slings to ensure they're being kept by qualified keepers, I think we can make it work.

I'd volunteer to help start such a group, but I'm just now getting back into the hobby and don't even have any Poecilotheria in my collection yet.
Thanks for the info

mrmatheny

Arachnopeon
It could be like a buyers club. Everyone pays a membership fee, or something like that, then has access to the trade.

Alongcameapider

Arachnopeon
I’ve been reading a majority of this thread from the beginning, and I’m confused, this thread goes back to 2014 so there’s a lot of changed information. I’ve just started keeping Tarantulas a couple years ago. What is this all exactly about? To my understanding it’s trade? Can anyone provide any updated links as far as bill information? I definitely want to stay up to date as there’s a couple other bills I’ve been following for other animals that are trying to be banned as well where I live.

Matt Man

Arachnobaron
the same thing happened with Brachypelmas. You used to be able to get wild caught adult females for $30. So many were being taken it became a threat to the wild populations. So they clamp down on the trade, and the only ones you can get are captive bred and more expensive.Sri Lankans work 6 days a week and average about $1500 a year. Catching Pokies and selling them for $25 each is good money so you can imagine the same thing happening there, that happened in Mexico. Prices are going up, and if they mess with the trade of captive bred, it will get worse