Who molted today?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
After only 4 weeks or so in my care Seraphina one of my H.chiliensis slings has moulted. Everything seems to have gone well n we had ousted the moult right to the other side of the viv to so it was easy for me to collect (such a good girl🤞), shame the moult is so small because its perfect but at 3mm I am not even going to attempt putting it under the lens 😆 20230831_081236.jpg
20230831_081621(0).jpg Pics aren't the best but we are probably only 3.1mm now so my phone still doesn't want to focus 😆.
Well done Seraphina 😊 👏🥳

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Forgot to post this yesterday, but one of my Ornithoctoninae sp. "Haribon" slings and one of my Taksinus babus slings molted yesterday, while one of my P. victori juveniles molted some days ago.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
0.1 Davus sp. Panama, 2.5" DLS.

She was flipped this morning before I left for work:
Poippin’ colors! Still anxiously waiting on mine (only about 3/4”). She’s tucked herself into what reminds me of my H pulchripes turret-style burrow (copying her neighbor), except the back side of it is completely open. She’s special. ;-)

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Poecilotheria regalis, 4.5" now!!!
Male!!
I need to rehouse him, but I am wondering if I should try not to go too large to keep him alive longer?? Is it something that works? What do you people think?
No, after a MM has his ultimate molt, the counter starts ticking down on his lifespan. The size of the enclosure has no effect on his remaining time so you better find him that girlfriend soon!

Kigoma DCF in it's shiny new shell
20230831_204509.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I need to rehouse him, but I am wondering if I should try not to go too large to keep him alive longer?? Is it something that works? What do you people think?
No, after a MM has his ultimate molt, the counter starts ticking down on his lifespan. The size of the enclosure has no effect on his remaining time so you better find him that girlfriend soon!
While it's true that a mature male is destined for death, it is common practice to keep them in relatively smaller enclosures - MM's roam looking for a mate all night and sometimes all day, so if you keep them in smaller enclosures they aren't able to cover as much ground. Less wandering = less energy spent = longer lifespan. It's also easier to feed them in smaller enclosures - if they can't miss the prey and stumble upon it, they're a little more likely to eat it. MM's are not interested in hunting, so in a larger enclosure where prey can hide away, they'll eat less often. More eating = longer lifespan. Regardless of enclosure size, make sure there's always a full water dish!

While I'm here, I had molts from:
0.0.1 Euthycaelus amandae
0.0.1 Euthycaelus sp. Cesar
0.1 Ornithoctoninae sp. koh Phangan, 3.5" young female

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Nice tips on extending the remaining lifespan. I was under the impression they expired in a certain amount of time but it just clicked that they all expire within a general range of time depending on various metabolic and health factors.

One question about smaller enclosure sizes. Since they wander a lot, do they wander the same amount in a smaller space as in a larger enclosure? (In terms of distance measured by T steps)

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Some pretty nice molts today:
- Cyriopagopus hainanus juvenile
- Ornithoctoninae sp. "Haribon" sling (this sling had been missing two legs at acquisition, but has regenerated them since, and this molt brings it back to proper shape)
- Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sling (one of 3)
- Psalmopoeus irminia sling
- Sinopoda koreana sling (1 of 2)

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
The other Omothymus species I have molted the 30th. I got home from work yesterday and seen it had tossed the molt out. That's a is also it's second molt since I got them back in June. No doubt the fastest growing tarantula I've ever kept.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Nice tips on extending the remaining lifespan. I was under the impression they expired in a certain amount of time but it just clicked that they all expire within a general range of time depending on various metabolic and health factors.

One question about smaller enclosure sizes. Since they wander a lot, do they wander the same amount in a smaller space as in a larger enclosure? (In terms of distance measured by T steps)
No, generally speaking they wander less, and if kept in small enough enclosures, they sometimes won't wander at all. I have an MM now that can almost touch all sides of the enclosure he's in, and he is basically stationary except for a few turns each day. He eats very well, too. If you're not concerned about extending their lifespan or saving their energy for mating, then there's no issue putting them in a larger enclosure. It all depends on what you want to do with them once they mature.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
3 more molts today:

0.0.1 Homoeomma sp. Uruguay, 0.5" DLS (getting big, lol):
20230901_174636.jpg

0.0.1 Cyriocosmus ritae, less than 0.5" DLS (still tiny):
20230901_174545.jpg

0.0.1 Ornithoctoninae sp. Ho Chi Minh, 2" DLS:
20230901_174458.jpg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
3 more molts today:

0.0.1 Homoeomma sp. Uruguay, 0.5" DLS (getting big, lol):
View attachment 454452

0.0.1 Cyriocosmus ritae, less than 0.5" DLS (still tiny):
View attachment 454453

0.0.1 Ornithoctoninae sp. Ho Chi Minh, 2" DLS:
View attachment 454454
Look at that little stripey butt 😆 so cute !

My second t I ever got moulted last night , Alicia my Grammostola rosea moulted, (yes I know about the name thing but I got her as rosea so am keeping her as rosea,) she's had np and smashed it as always , and is looking extremely floofy 🥰 pretty sure she hit the 3.5/4 inches mark too, so will be getting a bigger viv very soon 😊 20230902_092740.jpg
In her burrow with the moult luckily she left me a huge window 😊
20230902_093923.jpg
Stretched out infront of her burrow 2 minutes after I put her viv back 😆 looked like she was telling me off for disturbing her 🤣

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Just missed this Kigoma OBT molt!
20230903_011728.jpg

So fresh it's still colorless, I didn't pop the lid to avoid disturbing it.
20230903_011752.jpg

This is the one that molted the other day for comparison.
20230903_011909.jpg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
Grace, Brachypelma klassi grown on sling/ young juvenile female, must have moulted early hours of this morning. Looks like it all went well from what I can see, been growing this girl up since she was 0.5 cm and its took about 18 months but hopefully she will have hit the 2.5 inch mark now 🤞. I will find out once she leaves or chucks the moult . Well done Grace 😊🥰😊 20230903_104601.jpg

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Two much-anticipated molts today: The largest of my three Chilobrachys sp. "Electric Blue" (which actually became electric blue with its last molt and is even more so now), and the last of my Phormictopus sp. "Gold Caparax" slings.

I have a number of Ts and even two scorpions in premolt at the moment, which is just as well as the colder, dryer fall and winter conditions are just around the corner.

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
Psalmopoeus pulcher molted a few hours ago.
2023-09-03 16.52.16.jpg
Also my Psalmopoeus victori threw out its molt. And Pseudhapalopus sp. blue is spinning a molting mat right now.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
The procession of molts continues...

0.0.1 Augacephalus ezendami sling, about 1.75" DLS:
P9020007.JPG

0.0.1 Avicularia variegata sling, 1.5" DLS:
P9020002.JPG

Another of my trio of O. sp. Ranong blue slings molted, too (no pics though).