What is owning a theraphosa like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, guess what Rosie (My G. rosea.), just did! She tapped on her lid, asked me to get her out, lay on the bed, & cuddle with her...

I think our relationship just made the move to the next level!

How awesome is that?!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Oh, guess what Rosie (My G. rosea.), just did! She tapped on her lid, asked me to get her out, lay on the bed, & cuddle with her...

How awesome is that?!
Dont turn this into a crossbreeding thread Tommy! {D

salsalover

Arachnopeon
I just read blah blah blah. Really. Nothing else. No proof , no source, no facts behind the chating.

kind of funny considering you didn't name a source once in this entire conversation all you did was put on an elitist charade and tell everyone they were wrong without any points to support your claim

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

All I got from that was that now you are making us follow rules that denounce the use of scientific data simply because someone came along and offered a silly personal experience that really doesn't prove anything (other than my point).

--Dan
well what i got from that sentence is that you have some reading comprehension problems because you missed the main idea of the personal experience explained

P.s. i don't have to use periods if i don't want to because im not writing an essay right now

salsalover

Arachnopeon
I didn't say it couldn't be intelligent simply because it was an animal. I don't need someone else to put words into my mouth, I am fully capable of that myself...thanks anyways. There is a difference between memory/intelligence and developing tendencies based on surrounding conditions. "Being able to differentiate pheromone levels,soundwaves,vibrations" is instinct. It does not demonstrate intelligence. It is true that they are incredible creatures, but this has nothing to do with mental capacity...because there isn't any. As far as my post being close minded, I really don't see how.

--Dan
first off if it was truly instinct then that would mean 100% of all animals had the ability and they actually don't different animals have different ways of differentiating the person who cares for them from another person which is the thing you fail to consider not only that but it's closed minded in the way that you describe the tarantula as a drone simply because it has a unique system and different aspects of intelligence and you interpret those unique aspects as drone like behavior when in all actuality even psycologists will tell you part of having appropriate cognitive function is having an active memory and in this case differentiating one individual from another without sight is an impressive feat for an instect then you have the fact that in order for any creature to have intelligence there has to be a level of cognitive function because it requires analyzing certain features of a person or a thing and storing them in long term memory

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

It would help us understand you much better. This is also the responce i would hear from a 5 y/o.
and that's a comeback i would hear from a five year old and the way you spelled the word RESPONSE is definitely infantile come to think of it your entire argumentation tactic is infantile it's no different than social rape in the way that you feel the need to not only act elitist but it parallels child like behavior in the way that you refuse to accept the fact that my point of view will never be the same as yours as a result you began using ad homs as a way to try and change my mind not only that but at this point what you're doing is harassment because i've asked you to stop and yet you continue ruining my thread

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I cant read your sentances without punctuation. Its almost painful, and i think others will agree with that.

salsalover

Arachnopeon
I cant read your sentances without punctuation. Its almost painful, and i think others will agree with that.
i feel the same way about your spelling and your argumentation tactic so yeah im going to take the harsh road now and tell you to shut up since asking you nicely to leave me alone isn't working

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Ok its a debate, he proved nothing. Now i will prove nothing as well and you tell me who is more logical..

I have a 5.5" F H. lividum that gives me anything from a huge threat (stridulation and biting the ground).. To sitting normal stance not moving a muscle. Even when touched with a paint brush she doesnt move. Is she inviting me for play time since she isnt threatening me? NO! IMO Its her instincts telling her not to move so she can avoid a confrontation with a preditior. Its also my opinion her instinct tells her to show preditors how big and scary she is. Eventually when put in a hopeless situation she calms down.(when i am in control of her life while holding her.) Why bite when i might bite back? That is my logic on her behavior. Does that sound so rediculous?

They are built for the wild, not a cage with someone to interact with. They could care less the different chemical signal of a preditor. Anything other than a mate is a threat to her existance!

This whole debate is rediculous to me. How does every other wild and aggressive animal act tward humans? H. lividum is not docile and has no time to "understand how" to survive or interact other than threaten, mate or eat. (as stated so well by Danny) Alot of times its in that order.

all you did was rant about how tarantulas have different personalities it doesn't mean that they can't tell who their owner is all it means is they some are more defensive than others

P.s. you making random generalizations is whats really ridiculous and if you truly thought this debate was ridiculous you wouldn't be participating in it

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/period.htm

Article said:
Use a period [ . ] at the end of a sentence that makes a statement. There is no space between the last letter and the period. Use one space between the period and the first letter of the next sentence. This goes against the grain for people using the typography instilled by generations of old-fashioned typewriter users, but modern word-processors nicely accommodate the spacing after a period, and double-spacing after a period can only serve to discombobulate the good intentions of one's software.

See Quotation Marks and Parentheses for special placement considerations with those marks.

Use a period at the end of a command.

Hand in the poster essays no later than noon on Friday.
In case of tremors, leave the building immediately.
Use a period at the end of an indirect question.

The teacher asked why Maria had left out the easy exercises.
My father used to wonder why Egbert's ears were so big.
Use a period with abbreviations:

Dr. Espinoza arrived from Washington, D.C., at 6 p.m.
Notice that when the period ending the abbreviation comes at the end of a sentence, it will also suffice to end the sentence. On the other hand, when an abbreviation ends a question or exclamation, it is appropriate to add a question mark or exclamation mark after the abbreviation-ending period:

Did you enjoy living in Washington, D.C.?
Occasionally, a statement will end with a question. When that happens, it is appropriate to end the sentence with a question mark.

We can get to Boston quicker, can't we, if we take the interstate?
His question was, can we end this statement with a question mark?
She ended her remarks with a resounding why not?

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theraphosa's are as others have said, itchy!

I used to come up in hundreds of tiny blisters that would leak when squeezed (they would be more raised if I scratched and the urge to not scratch is almost impossible) and I'd wake up at 3-4 am with insanely itchy fingers and have to run to the bathroom to scorch them under a hot tap.

Behaviour is more irratable than defensive, they will kick if the hiss and raising postures are not enough.

The hairs from this species made me sensitive to lesser urticating hairs from more docile T's.

They are interesting to watch because of their size and power.
The chelicerae are huge and the proportions are thick and chunky, but they act just like larger new worlds.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I used to come up in hundreds of tiny blisters that would leak when squeezed (they would be more raised if I scratched and the urge to not scratch is almost impossible) and I'd wake up at 3-4 am with insanely itchy fingers and have to run to the bathroom to scorch them under a hot tap.

Behaviour is more irratable than defensive, they will kick if the hiss and raising postures are not enough.

The hairs from this species made me sensitive to lesser urticating hairs from more docile T's.

The chelicerae are huge and the proportions are thick and chunky, but they act just like larger new worlds.
Mine grew to around 10.5-11'' and still remains the largest T I have owned, i'm hoping I can bring my Salmon Pink sling to a similar size.

salsalover

Arachnopeon

lol i didn't know owning a T could be such a task do you ever have to wear gloves or a mask when you walk into the same room as your T's if so do they help prevent the itching? :confused:

SpidSquid

Arachnopeon
Thank you Scolopeon for that information! I'm really considering a T. blondi sometime, so it was nice to see some good info come out of this thread. :]

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
phoenixxavierre: Theraphosids are extremly primitive animals and havent evolved for thousands of years. Dont give them to much credit for being intelligent:) I would also like to have the names of those "excellent" taxonomists you spoke of.

Titandan

Arachnopeon
I've read through this thread and I'm kinda shocked at how rude some of you are. Why can't you just answer the question without being condescending?

I don't own a Theraphosa so I can't answer the question. But some of you seem to want to correct people and display your wisdom and knowledge like you're some type of T. expert. I think most of you all can agree that our hobby is at its beginning stage and has yet to really take off. Due to this and other issues, people don't have a wealth of experience with T's. Theraphosas are rather expensive and higher maintenance. Why not just answer the question in a friendly way instead of drilling him because of his ignorance?

All of us were ignorant in many ways at one point or another. You can say the same thing but being gracious in your treatment of others can go a long way.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys, yesterday I walked in my room and my rose hair realized it was me and pulled out it's tennis ball to play fetch. It's awesome, it use to think of me as an owner, but now I think we are on a friend level.

It amazes me what people say about tarantulas.

Oh and Phoenix, your psychology major has just about as much to do with tarantulas as what Frans major was.

Anyway, +1 to Fran and dannyboypede.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Lol. Yeah we're the ones OVER thinking alright. {D
Chris, if you'd like to refute my statements, at least provide something to refute it with, instead of your mindless drivel, seeking a laugh.

Psychology deals with human AND animal behavior, so actually it has a great deal more to do with intelligence of various life forms than does geology or geography.

And I will repeat myself, intelligence is measurable in PLANTS as well as animals. What do you think is smarter? Your rhododendron or your tarantula?

It's funny you mention what you do about your tarantula, even though it's in jest as an attempt to make me appear unintelligent. This morning, MY G. rosea, a red color morph, WAS playing with a ball of peat, rolling it around, pulling it to himself, using it as something to prop his feet on for a while and eventually discarding it. His tank has a mixture of desert sand and peat, and he chooses to sit upon the sand. However, he does APPEAR to enjoy moving this ball of peat around, probably half the size of his abdomen, and does so on random (or seemingly random) occasion. I guess he's either hungry, wanting to run away but instead clutches in terror at the peat ball, or maybe he's thinking about eating it. It's likely something instinctual, right? Like maybe he thinks he's a female and is envisioning when he'll be a mother, gender confusion. Hmmm... :D

salsalover

Arachnopeon
Chris, if you'd like to refute my statements, at least provide something to refute it with, instead of your mindless drivel, seeking a laugh.

Psychology deals with human AND animal behavior, so actually it has a great deal more to do with intelligence of various life forms than does geology or geography.

And I will repeat myself, intelligence is measurable in PLANTS as well as animals. What do you think is smarter? Your rhododendron or your tarantula?

It's funny you mention what you do about your tarantula, even though it's in jest as an attempt to make me appear unintelligent. This morning, MY G. rosea, a red color morph, WAS playing with a ball of peat, rolling it around, pulling it to himself, using it as something to prop his feet on for a while and eventually discarding it. His tank has a mixture of desert sand and peat, and he chooses to sit upon the sand. However, he does APPEAR to enjoy moving this ball of peat around, probably half the size of his abdomen, and does so on random (or seemingly random) occasion. I guess he's either hungry, wanting to run away but instead clutches in terror at the peat ball, or maybe he's thinking about eating it. It's likely something instinctual, right? Like maybe he thinks he's a female and is envisioning when he'll be a mother, gender confusion. Hmmm...

AWWWWWW!!!!!!!! that's the most adorable thing i've ever heard offfffffffff {D lol awww (not be littling the experience at all i truly do think that's the cutest thing i've ever heard of

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
AWWWWWW!!!!!!!! that's the most adorable thing i've ever heard offfffffffff {D lol awww (not be littling the experience at all i truly do think that's the cutest thing i've ever heard of
Really? Because that is the most ridiculous that I have ever heard of. My P. cancerides did the same thing when burrowing. Calling burrowing "playing," doesn't make it playing. When my T's eat crickets, I can call it cuddling, but it doesn't make it cuddling. I think I am going to abandon this thread and spend the rest of eternity crying in a dark hole somewhere...

--Dan

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas are part of the animal kingdom, however, they are not the animal kingdom. What more is there than threat, food, and mate? You have yet to convince me that they have a sliver of intelligence. Simply saying that there is more to them than we think, is not a very convincing argument. Again, what more it there?

--Dan
Humans are the primary animals upon which research is done as far as intelligence goes, so naturally, when people think "intelligence" they think of how we use that word in terms of human intelligence. HOWEVER, much research is done on animals in regard to intelligence, particularly cognitive ability. Mental abilities are studied within species and also in a comparative sense, between species. Included are studies of problem solving, mathematics, and language abilities. Do we discard the idea that an animal is intelligent merely because they are illiterate? After all, literacy is one measure of intelligence in human beings. No we don't. Instead, we compare mental ability across species. While it's true that we generally and primarily think of particular animals (aside from ourselves) as being intelligent, such as apes, chimps, dolphins, elephants, parrots, and ravens, there is no way to accurately measure such a thing. Without any accurate measurement, who's to say?

There is a great deal of research on intelligence in cephalopods. They exhibit characteristics of significant intelligence, yet it's hard for anyone to fathom that since their nervous systems are so different from our own. Tarantulas aren't much different in this way. Just because something's nervous system is dramatically different than a mammal's or a bird's doesn't automatically bar them from possessing traits of intelligence.

Some scientists argue that plants possess intelligence, merely because they can sense their environment and adjust themselves accordingly.

I'm amazed at the opposition I'm hearing to the idea of intelligence in tarantulas, especially from people who spend hours observing their behaviors. I've seen multiple problem solving behaviors in tarantulas, haven't you?

Have you never seen a tarantula remembering where their burrow once was, even following destruction of that burrow? Have you never seen a tarantula try more than one way to move a large piece of dirt out of their way? Have you never seen a tarantula who grows accustomed to the keeper's rituals, such as spraying or feeding, react to stimuli which is indicative that they are to be watered or fed, which suggests a certain amount of memory?

Tarantulas are amazingly mammal-like in some of their behavior. They care tenderly for their young, the spiderlings sharing food amongst themselves in a cooperative manner (this is fairly unique to arachnids), and this has been seen to occur in colonies where spiderlings even crawled onto another female tarantula that wasn't their mother in order to eat from the food she had captured, and she allowed them to. Some mother tarantulas will go without food to ensure that their young eat. They are also able to rapidly adapt to varying ecological challenges. In some species, males are able to peacefully cohabit with females without being cannibalized. And then there's the pokies who don't seem to mind living with one another. And the courtship ritual between males and females.

There is undoubtedly a certain amount of awareness that tarantulas possess. And we, as hobbyists, have noticed that they all have their individual quirks. This difference in response to stimuli suggests there is more than merely instinct going on in their behavior. Tarantulas have been known to actually sort multi-colored fish gravel into piles with one color per pile. I personally have observed tarantulas when they're trying to explore beyond their captive environment, unscrewing their lids (if loosely tightened), or pushing up on their aquarium lids.

I once had a L. parahybana who escaped her tank and made rounds of the large apartment I was living in at the time. I followed her trail of web throughout the entire upper floor, and amazingly it led back to her tank (which was set up on a water heater). I thought she had escaped but in actuality she had taken a stroll and returned to her tank while I was gone from the apartment!

And what about personality? Individual behavior responses. We know that different tarantulas of the same species react differently to being handled.

Again, I'm surprised that people interested in tarantulas can easily neglect to at least consider these unusual behaviors and chalk them up to fight or flight, eat, breed, etc. The behaviors strike me as being far more complicated than that.

Ever had a stubborn tarantula? One that no matter how hard you try to get it to go in a particular direction, it's absolutely determined that it wants to go where you don't want it to?

How about tarantulas that become accustomed to being handled or fed? They may at first react as if you're a threat but eventually they "learn" that you're a source of food or water. Eventually they may sit still despite all the commotion and noise one makes opening the tank and tossing in a cricket. They "learn" (for those who use clips to feed with) that the metal utensil contains food and ISN'T a threat. I use to feed my A. avics from my fingers. They would grab hold of my fingers and delicately pluck the cricket or fly from my fingers without biting me.

I've seen tarantulas learn to avoid being stung by a bee or wasp, or bitten by a mouse. Once the prey (that they were initially unfamiliar with) attempted to defend itself, the tarantula "remembered" this and when the prey was introduced again, the tarantula would grasp the bee, turn its stinger AWAY from itself and sink its fangs into the upper body. Same with mice. The tarantula "learned" from previous prey and would grasp the mouse and turn it's face to where it could crush the skull.

Learning to recognize what IS a threat and what ISN'T is also a sign of intelligence. Countless times I've been cleaning up a tank or doing this or that, and the tarantula would touch me with its feet, leaving them there for a bit, trying to determine what I was. Eventually, they became accustomed to my intrusions, some even getting in the habit of climbing up on me rather than staying in the tank. My very first tarantula was a mature male Aphonopelma, Rio Grande Gold, and he would spend hours trying to get out of his tank. I'd remove him and he'd sit peacefully on my hand, arm or chest for hours while I walked around the house. He actually PREFERRED to be out than to be in it's tank. But I suppose that's just instinct as well.

And again, Phyllis, my cobalt blue female learned the sound of my voice and perceived me as a threat but was able to distinguish between my voice and other people's voices, and made no threat displays toward anyone but me (following that incident of dropping the lid on her feet).

Why is it that people are reluctant to attribute intelligence to tarantulas? Because of their size? The size of their ganglion? Seems to me that it's taking the tarantula for granted, and much more so of the nature surrounding them.

Personally, I think tarantula intelligence is an interesting area that has received very little research, and deserves much more!

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

What fact. Do you know what a fact is?
Please, tell me where did you find that written, point out to me where is the source.

Please lets educate ourselves a bit before posting about a science related debate.
Tarantulas recognize CHEMICAL SIGNATURES. Their senses are that finely attuned to their surroundings. Humans possess DIFFERENT CHEMICAL SIGNATURES, on their hands. Tarantulas can likely recognize when there is a familiar or unfamiliar CHEMICAL SIGNATURE, thereby differentiating between two different people. And this isn't even going into the sound wave vibrational recognition they possess. Why is that hard for you to understand? Just wondering.

Anyone can MAKE a fact. I can say the sky is purple. Guess what? The sky is purple, that's a fact, until someone comes along and says, No, the sky is blue. A fact can be something that's said to be true or something that's said to have happened. Scientific facts are a bit different, but not a lot. Scientific observation, which can be done outside of a lab, such as in the field, or even in one's own home, can be considered FACT as well. Had to add that after reading salsalovers comment on Facts and Science.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

When was this proven with science? Where is the scientific paper from and when was it published? :? {D {D

Edit: You should try these out, they are free of charge. . ,
It's a known scientific FACT that tarantulas can distinguish between different CHEMICAL SIGNATURES. How else would they recognize road kill as being something that's edible?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I didn't say it couldn't be intelligent simply because it was an animal. I don't need someone else to put words into my mouth, I am fully capable of that myself...thanks anyways;). There is a difference between memory/intelligence and developing tendencies based on surrounding conditions. "Being able to differentiate pheromone levels,soundwaves,vibrations" is instinct. It does not demonstrate intelligence. It is true that they are incredible creatures, but this has nothing to do with mental capacity...because there isn't any. As far as my post being close minded, I really don't see how.

--Dan
Memory is an aspect of intelligence, in particular, one which assists in problem solving ability.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I think we have picked an argument with the wrong person.... because I can't understand where your sentences end and others begin. No punctuation, and no capitalization.
Hmmm.... Must be an intelligence issue. I didn't have any problem reading and understanding what was written. :D

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

All I can say is: USE PERIODS

All I got from that was that now you are making us follow rules that denounce the use of scientific data simply because someone came along and offered a silly personal experience that really doesn't prove anything (other than my point).

--Dan

p.s. the thing after the sentence that lets the reader know that the next sentence is coming, is called a period;)
Perhaps you should learn some basic logic. Salsa's talking about logic's use within debate. Science wasn't being denounced at all.

If only you knew how some of the GREATEST scientists in history came up with their ideas, ideas which changed the course of human history!

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I think a lot of the disagreement here is based on nothing but nit picking of terminology, at least I hope so. :rolleyes:

While I look at it as rather obvious a T has no concept of the terms 'ownership' or 'who', it also seems obvious that they can correlate a set of sensory parameters and equate/remember a given group or sequence of such with a 'good' or 'bad' outcome ('food' or 'smashed toes'). I further find it likely that a T could correlate a set of those parameters to equate them to the presence of a specific person, they certainly have the sensory 'hardware' necessary to do so. I doubt they perceive this set of correlations into a mental picture of a human but relatively speaking it's easiest for us to look at it this way for purposes of conversation.

I know many claim T's are scientifically proven to be incapable of 'learning' or 'thinking'( doing mazes and such), that they can only be 'conditioned' to exhibit a particular behavior and 'respond' to the particular stimuli. More nit picking, as far as these types of casual discussions are concerned the terms are more or less interchangeable, it's not like this is an academic conference...

I mostly will give someone the benefit of doubt when they say they're T 'knows' them and responds a certain way to them specifically, that they realize it's not 'knowing' in a human sense but 'knowing' relative to how a T would 'know' and that it's just been 'conditioned' to responding to a set of stimuli in the way it's instinct has it wired to do. When some get all ruffled about 'intelligence' applying or not to T's, it's really all about whether the term is being used in a strict scientific definition or as a relative term to place the T somewhere on a scale between a cat and a nematode as far as interpreting stimuli goes.

I see T 'learning/conditioning' all the time, for an easy example many T's are picky about types of food. When I throw in pretty much anything that moves the majority of hungry T's used to getting what they like will give an immediate feeding response, regardless of the type of prey. As soon as they realize it's, say, a type of roach they don't like, they quickly loose interest.
If I keep giving them the undesirables, it doesn't take long before they stop responding. When I then throw in the preferred type of (roach, cricket, worm, whatever), at first I see the same lack of response, but after a small number of times they 'figure out' it's now 'the good stuff' again and go back to the immediate response. After many months/years of this they seem to get better at determining the desirability of what is tossed in on a more or less immediate basis (and act accordingly), rather than the old extremes of 'pounce now, figure out what it is later' or 'ignore it even if it crawls on me'.

I tend to think of this as 'learning', but I guess *technically* it's 'conditioning' and guaranteed someone will jump all over me for using one term but not the other, even though it's pretty clear I mean the same thing either way. So be mindful of how those questions and observations are worded or be ready for the nit pickers...

Bill
Excellently put!

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

How awesome is that?!
Wow! Congratulations! But I'd watch yourself, you could end up with a bigger child support bill than even Bill Gates could handle! :D

Let's see, what's $500 monthly times 300? OUCH

Thank GOD roseas don't usually throw double or triple sacs!

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

That's interesting, the same thing happened with me. Following the horrible itching resulting from blondi hairs, I became extremely "allergic" to B. boehmei hairs. Prior to that I hadn't had a problem.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

phoenixxavierre: Theraphosids are extremly primitive animals and havent evolved for thousands of years. Dont give them to much credit for being intelligent:) I would also like to have the names of those "excellent" taxonomists you spoke of.
I'm certainly not saying they are geniuses. I sent you a PM.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I've kept many of these from spiderlings to adults, captive bred to wild caught, and I have to say that they're one of the funnest species to keep. Not hard to spot, enjoyable to watch, handle-able if conditioned to be handled (of course, that depends on the individual personality of the t, or should I say reaction, or instinct, I know better than to say "intelligence" or IQ). My boy used to love seeing these big "monsters", of course to him anything with 8 legs (back then) was a "spider"!

I highly recommend these "bird-eaters" due to their sheer bulk, "hissing" ability, and growth rate, as well as their voracious appetite and willingness to eat just about anything you put in front of them!

Of course, I like to keep these big ladies/gents in anything from a ten gallon to a 30 gallon container, the bigger the better in my opinion, when adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.