What is owning a theraphosa like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOLOLOLOL no hun you guys are actually OFF TOPIC because the thread question i was asking was "whats owning a T like" not "are they smart?" if i wanted to start a debate about that i wouldve posted "are tarantulas smart or not?"
And the answer you would have gotten is no they are not smart.

My snakes have more of a brain than my tarantulas and they aren't capable of love either.

salsalover

Arachnopeon
you are talking circles. once again, bring some scientific proof like the numerous people here have kindly (and not so kindly) asked for to the table instead of falling back trying to claim offtopic where your thread has gone.

why should i when my thread initially had nothing to do with this topic in the first place?better yet why don't you bring me some evidence?lol and why should i even attempt to find evidence when there are people here that have provided you with objective observations?and more importantly what is the reason for you determining they're not intelligent we've stated our reasons and now it's only fair that you state yours

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

And the answer you would have gotten is no they are not smart.

My snakes have more of a brain than my tarantulas and they aren't capable of love either.
and that's YOUR OPINION

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and that's YOUR OPINION
No, it is fact and science. If I am not mistaken tarantulas don't even technically have a brain, it is just a very primitive nervous system. If they do have a brain then it is very very primitive. Do you think an ant is capable of love towards a human being? No of course not, that would be dumb. Once again, my snakes have a larger brain than a tarantula, yet they don't feel love either. How of my sixteen years of keeping snakes I have never seen one try and love me or have affection towards me.

salsalover

Arachnopeon
Nobody's forcing anything on you. All I'm doing is trying to understand your perspective, which is why I am asking you for evidence (personal experiences are NOT evidence; experiences are SUBJECTIVE and OPEN TO INTERPRETATION) to support your view on intelligence in tarantulas.

Me, avoiding your questions? I think you will find I addressed all of them. I am still waiting for answers from yo
trying to understand my perspective? lmaorofl no no youre not and i can tell your not you know how because if you were you wouldn't be calling my perspective absurd or stupid not only that but i've explained my position to you several times and since you want to know my perspective so bad let me sum it up for you: instead of lecturing me about what the majority believes and why i should believe it just respect my opinion

there that's my perspective lol i think its funny that you THINK you answered my questions when all you really did was use ad hominems to avoid them and demand evidence from me even thoughy ou never provided any not only that but why should i apologize for having an opinion you're not going to change my mind and i've explained that to you before

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

No, it is fact and science. If I am not mistaken tarantulas don't even technically have a brain, it is just a very primitive nervous system. If they do have a brain then it is very very primitive. Do you think an ant is capable of love towards a human being? No of course not, that would be dumb. Once again, my snakes have a larger brain than a tarantula, yet they don't feel love either. How of my sixteen years of keeping snakes I have never seen one try and love me or have affection towards me.

oh yeah because thats an affective way to learn things: dismiss things just because they don't sound like something a scientist would say dont even try to reason with the person and acknowledge that theyre a human with a view dehumanize them and treat them like an object to be manipulated and insulted

once again IT'S YOUR OPINION just because the majority says something is right doesn't mean it is and scientists are flawed too which means as hard for you as it is to believe THEY DO MAKE MISTAKES and im sure there are other scientists who have been able to prove the opposition true

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Like i said before i not changing my opinion so everyone needs to just stop im starting to get irritated this thread is now about what it's like to own a t i will not be answering anymore questions i will not be engaging in anymore of the offtopic conversation that was started by a troll

what is owning a t like?

salsalover

Arachnopeon
It's much like owning a rock that requires very basic needs and will never show any appreciation for anything you do.

Do you know what a period is?
do you know what staying on topic and not being condescending is? it's people like you that are no longer welcome to this thread im sick and tired of you guys now i see what maudua meant and i agree with her 100 percent

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I totaly agrees with Fran, Chris.

To be ontopic how its like to own a Theraphosa spp.:

It is just the same as owning other Theraphosinae from rainforrest areas.

And lastly Salsa:barf::?:wall:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
do you know what staying on topic and not being condescending is? it's people like you that are no longer welcome to this thread im sick and tired of you guys now i see what maudua meant and i agree with her 100 percent
You asked, I answered. Problem?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have a strong opinion which goes against conventional wisdom and what is accepted in the scientific community to be true, and when people try to convince you of the truth you just go on and on with your very weak philosophical arguments such as "just because the majority of scientists say this is so, doesn't mean it is!!". You are incredible. Are you saying you are correct while the many biologists and entomologists out there are wrong? Those are people who have studied tarantulas and other arthropods for years; written their thesis on, say, invertebrate neurology; dissected their study animals to look at their brains and neural systems and whatnot; and yet, you with your naive conclusions about tarantulas based purely on emotion and anthropomorphism are correct whilst they all are wrong?

Wow.

salsalover

Arachnopeon
And lastly Salsa:barf::?:wall:

right back at you,fran,chris and dan for not only going off topic but being rude and refusing to respect my opinion

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

You have a strong opinion which goes against conventional wisdom and what is accepted in the scientific community to be true, and when people try to convince you of the truth you just go on and on with your very weak philosophical arguments such as "just because the majority of scientists say this is so, doesn't mean it is!!". You are incredible. Are you saying you are correct while the many biologists and entomologists out there are wrong? Those are people who have studied tarantulas and other arthropods for years; written their thesis on, say, invertebrate neurology; dissected their study animals to look at their brains and neural systems and whatnot; and yet, you with your naive conclusions about tarantulas based purely on emotion and anthropomorphism are correct whilst they all are wrong?

Wow.

actually no i never at any point in the conversation said 100 percent of all scientists were wrong but im not going to even engage in this conversation maybe you should have read back to the post where i said this offtopic discussion is over for every scientist that has proved something there are other scientists that have proved otherwise your assumptions are your personal problem

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

thread closed if anyone is interested in actually answering the question in the title of the thread please pm me because i cannot take this anymore people are continuing to make random assumptions about everything i say and only 2 people out of the entire thread respect my opinion so yeah thread closed

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This thread isn't closed just because you say so.

Just sayin'. {D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not attacking you, but just because we do not agree with your opinion doesn't mean everyone here is belittling you. a fair majority have not resorted to name calling and have simply refuted your viewpoint, possibly in the hopes you might look at scientific proof on the limited capacity of tarantulas before making baseless arguments against it using incredible subjective "evidence". your opinion is your own, correct. that does not make it right, just that it is yours.

so cute being so bossy with your thread and acting like a mod and "closing it". also love the huge font, btw.

okay that last part was sort of attacking you, but good grief, you've had a horrible attitude the entirety of this thread and your level of anthropomorphism of these creatures is ... :barf: is right.

Last edited:

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it is contradictory because the whole point of being a scientists is making the public aware of an observation inspired by a hypothesis and at this point i have to say it does feel like a personal attack because i've asked you guys once to stop and stick to the topic and if you know my opinion wont change why do you keep persisting why don't you just stop?since there's clearly no changing my mind and you can clearly see that you're starting to upset me and at this point it feels like im being nagged and forced into an opinion just because the majority says its right not everyone is going to go with the majority
You're right, you've got a mindset that nobody's going to be able to change.
Sorry to "upset" you, I'm done here(though I will continue to enjoy reading through).

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Moderator Note

Hello Salsalover,

To answer your question, its like owning any other pet. They have basic needs that must be met to assure survival. I can also assure you, any intelligence or "signs of affection" are just assumptions, as they are pure instinct with little little to no capacity to learn or care.

And welcome to AB. As a kindly heads up, use some punctuation. Reading your posts is tiring because I need to figure out just where the hell the commas and periods should be.

Oh, yea, thread closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.