Today in the Spider Room?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20240714_140728.jpg
20 rehouses completed today. The remaining 5 will be done on Tuesday ;) .

The following got their upgrades today:
  • 0.0.3 Avicularia variegata
  • 0.0.2 Avicularia avicularia M2 (ex A. braunshauseni)
  • 0.0.5 Avicularia geroldi
  • 0.0.3 Aphonopelma marxi
  • 0.0.3 Aphonopelma mooreae
  • 0.1 Aphonopelma sp Dragoons
  • 0.0.1 Chilobrachys sp Orange
  • 0.0.2 Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
My Hogna maderiana sling unfortunately passed today. She was somewhat dehydrated a few days ago (likely due to the heat wave here) but then had a big drink and seemed to recover. Sadly, she didn't make it.

A guy

Arachnobaron
Sexed out a bunch of specimens(slings):

0.3 Brachypelma baumgarteni
0.1 Brachypelma smithi
2.1 Poecilotheria metallica
2.1 Selenocosmiinae sp. romblon pink
3.6 Pamphobeteus sp. araña pollito

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
One day after getting housed and they already made a burrow

PXL_20240718_043943285.jpg

My baby mealworm order hasn't arrived as of yesterday, and I was putting off the housing so I could do the first feeding at the same time. Doesn't make a lot of sense to handle this many containers multiple times in a short period of time, gotta be efficient. Went ahead and housed/fed 230, fingers crossed the mealies come today; it's taking more time to maim and cut adult worms than it is taking to wrangle a sling into a pot. My partner was also hospitalized for 2 days and got to go home yesterday, so my timeline is a mess. Luckily I haven't seen any cannibalism yet, as I did accidentally injure one last night and don't think he's long for the world. :(

PXL_20240718_191922536.jpg

@Pillenslikker You need to get rid of all that fall space, bring the substrate up some inches

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Luckily I haven't seen any cannibalism yet, as I did accidentally injure one last night and don't think he's long for the world. :(
There will be some that eat each other, there will be losses due to accidents on your part, there will be some that just fail to thrive, and yes there will likely be some you might have to euthanize to end their suffering.

It's not often discussed, but being a breeder is not all sunshine and rainbows :( . The silver lining though is the good moments far outweigh the bad moments. Just don't let the bad moments be the only ones you remember ;).

A guy

Arachnobaron
There will be some that eat each other, there will be losses due to accidents on your part, there will be some that just fail to thrive, and yes there will likely be some you might have to euthanize to end their suffering.

It's not often discussed, but being a breeder is not all sunshine and rainbows :( . The silver lining though is the good moments far outweigh the bad moments. Just don't let the bad moments be the only ones you remember ;).
Gotta let nature takes its course, one way or another.

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter

Thank you

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
7F894D37-026A-4F0F-94F4-F6F503C0AF7B.jpeg 0EA33189-13C3-4EB1-9B57-5E4D903EC3FD.jpeg A5BCDBEC-2730-4AA7-8392-9EFD7819AC4A.jpeg After a month of changed behavior. It finaly opened its web tunnel and came out.

In the course of a month, it stopped eating. Would hang above the water bowl. Eventualy, it stopped coming out of the tunnel. Would not hunt. I noticed his tunnel seemed “webbed up”. Sealed. It was not obvious, i could not see how it could get out.

So i waited. I went to see it less often.

It was in its tunnel. Just doing nothing. Then one day, there was a bright burnt orange P murinus. And a molt.

I waited some more. Today I went to check and it had opened up the tunnel and was hanging out in the open. His fangs were nice and dark.

I put a dead mealworm and cricket. And it went straight for it.

All is back on track.

As for everyone else, I now have my first mites/springtails. Free of charge, magicaly materialized. I will be monitoring the situation.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Found at least 3 molts when I rehoused the bumblebutt today.
IMG_2950.jpeg
In other fossorial news, recently rehoused E murinus, Kuyuri, has amazed me. I tossed in just a few oak leaves as she didn’t take interest in them in her last home. When I saw she’d used these, I tossed in a few more. Those were all used by morning, so I tossed in a bit more before work. When I came home, all those had been used as well. Last time, I dumped in a bunch more. It took her 2 days to use that load. The ones on the ground in the pic are now incorporated as well. My dear A geniculata, Sacha: You will always be the prince of my collection, but Kuyuri has created her own throne.
IMG_2940.jpeg
IMG_2943.jpeg
IMG_2944.jpeg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Rigel, my mature male E. cyanognathus, has been really busy making sperm webs. To my surprise, he matured at a very small size. Probably 2.5-2.75in legspan. However he's clearly interested in interacting with the ladies! IMG_20240727_213209149_HDR.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I lost a Pampho sling last night. It seems to have been a combination of heavy premolt and impaction - the abdomen was stretched so thin by the sling growing and the inability to pass waste, the exoskeleton ultimately ruptured. These pics are kind of gross, so be forewarned...
1000026152.jpg
1000026150.jpg

There's no chance it fell, and nothing like a feeder in the condiment cup that could have damaged it. I hadn't even fed this one in a few weeks because it was obviously in premolt, so I'd just been giving it water and waiting. I guess the pressure just became too great. The sling was alive and moving when I found it, but there is no coming back from that, so I put it in the freezer overnight. I did a postmortem exam today and sure enough, the abdomen was full of waste (I'll spare you the pics of this). Looking at the condiment cup, the absence of spider poop is obvious now.

Terribly unlucky. Sorry little one... 😞

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I lost a Pampho sling last night. It seems to have been a combination of heavy premolt and impaction - the abdomen was stretched so thin by the sling growing and the inability to pass waste, the exoskeleton ultimately ruptured. These pics are kind of gross, so be forewarned...
View attachment 479337
View attachment 479338

There's no chance it fell, and nothing like a feeder in the condiment cup that could have damaged it. I hadn't even fed this one in a few weeks because it was obviously in premolt, so I'd just been giving it water and waiting. I guess the pressure just became too great. The sling was alive and moving when I found it, but there is no coming back from that, so I put it in the freezer overnight. I did a postmortem exam today and sure enough, the abdomen was full of waste (I'll spare you the pics of this). Looking at the condiment cup, the absence of spider poop is obvious now.

Terribly unlucky. Sorry little one... 😞
Aww man, I’m so sorry to hear this happened to the poor youngin. Thank you for sharing your experience so that we may learn from this unfortunate event.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused a trio of Avicularia rufa and my juvenile female Avicularia minatrix in the last couple days.

Rufa # 1 (in heavy premolt)
P7280062.JPG
Rufa # 2 (in not as heavy premolt)
P7280087.JPG
Rufa # 3 (most recently molted)

Minatrix (Minima)
P7280047.JPG
1000026176.jpg

And today I paired these 2 Aphonopelma moderatum successfully for the second time in the last 3 weeks. Multiple insertions were confirmed.
1000026383.jpg
1000026382.jpg
1000026381.jpg

She's been eating a lot since their last pairing, so things are looking good. The male made a fresh sperm web yesterday, so I figured I'd try again and she was still very receptive to the male. He needed a tiny little bit of intervention to make a clean getaway, but he made it out in one piece! I'll keep feeding her and will start watering her enclosure frequently to help encourage her to make a sac. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
A long time since I posted here…today I checked up on one of my Phormictopus sp. “Dominican Purple” juveniles for the first time since it went into premolt and found it had molted. Unfortunately, it’s male.

After getting two straight females with my second P. victori (a sacmate has already been confirmed female a long time ago) and (thankfully!) my oldest Chilobrachys natanicharum, this isn’t welcome news.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Kerü, GBB, matured 7/8/24 finally eating. Sadly, this poor chap is wobbly on his feet, trying to happy dance. Hoping he continues to eat and build up some bulk. Not his finest pic here, but his place is fully webbed to the nines.
IMG_3089.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Kerü, GBB, matured 7/8/24 finally eating. Sadly, this poor chap is wobbly on his feet, trying to happy dance. Hoping he continues to eat and build up some bulk. Not his finest pic here, but his place is fully webbed to the nines.
View attachment 480069
My MM was pretty wobbly, too - it takes them a while to get used to those long, thin legs after they mature...

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
My MM was pretty wobbly, too - it takes them a while to get used to those long, thin legs after they mature...
That’s reassuring to hear. I only have 2 other MM and neither of them seemed wobbly, so I was a bit concerned his time was shorter than expected.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
That’s reassuring to hear. I only have 2 other MM and neither of them seemed wobbly, so I was a bit concerned his time was shorter than expected.
You've got to imagine it's like waking up one morning only to find out you have to walk on stilts for the rest of your life... Might take a bit of getting used to! LOL.