Genus Theraphosa

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T. blondi sizes

I have 5 adults that are over 8" No lie, I have one female that is a hair over 10" from leg I to Leg IV. Ironically enough, it was a wild caught that I bought years ago, and she is still going strong to this day. Perhaps it is because she eats an adult mouse every 1-2 weeks. I tend to power feed my T. blondi, so maybe that is why they get so big. My biggest male is about 9" from Leg I to Leg IV and he is going on two years past his maturation date...he was also power fed. So, if anyone thinks power-feeding shortens their lifespan, I present this as one exception...I am pretty sure a posted a pic of him a while back next to a ruler. I currently have two female T. apophysis that are 8+" as well, and still on the 6-month molt cycle. The one difference I have noticed (keep in mind these are my first T. apophysis adult females) is that their carapaces are much smaller in diameter than T. blondi of the same leg length. Once I get a new digital camera, I will post some pics for all to see...

gustavowright

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow nice juvie u got there....Mine has recently molted and passing the 7 mark, indeed.So im really stoked!btw ..feed and let it grow lol.

spiderPeter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi long,

just few pictures of molting Theraphosa apophysis juvenile I want to share with you... {D

Best regards,
Peter

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still waiting to see a giant against a ruler that shows one is over 10" :rolleyes: A lot of talk but not much in the way of images.....

The best size comparison image I've ever seen is Guy Tansley's big female, next to his hand (or was it a midget ;)) now that was a true monster!!!

Steve

MrWhite

Arachnopeon
Steve Nunn said:
Still waiting to see a giant against a ruler that shows one is over 10" :rolleyes: A lot of talk but not much in the way of images.....

The best size comparison image I've ever seen is Guy Tansley's big female, next to his hand (or was it a midget ;)) now that was a true monster!!!

Steve
Indeed, I find it very surprising there have been no pictures of a T.Blondi in excess of 10" (with some sort of scale included). Let's see em boys/girls!

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Still waiting to see a giant against a ruler that shows one is over 10" A lot of talk but not much in the way of images.....
Yeah there is usually a lot of talk... but CLICK HERE for a recent thread with a well backed up 10".

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
Yeah there is usually a lot of talk... but CLICK HERE for a recent thread with a well backed up 10".
Nice, I wish Guy saw this, his female dwarfs that one, no kidding, she was a true monster, the largest spider I've ever seen, Guy, where are you!! ;) You could measure his female the same way you'd measure a horse, I'm not kidding. I don't doubt they exist, they are around, just not common.

Hang on, I'll PM him and ask if I can post his image :) I guarantee you won't believe it :)

Steve

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My blondi says bring it on!:) Thanks GoTerps for linking to my pic.

Here's the same pic, little bigger.

He is still kicking and making sperm webs!

Strange thing is, he is so big he doesn't really register in my mind as a spider anymore; at that size he almost seems mammalian! Seems to have that effect on arachnophobes as well. Visitors to my house who squirm at the sight my smaller spiders lean in and take a good long look at him... strange.

@spiderPeter- AMAZING photos!

Lindsey

Attachments

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
With good reason:)
Yes, but have you seen the real image?? ;) She still clocks 10", the only female I've ever seen that does. I'm sure there are others, but not measured against a rule.

Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's Guy Tansley's big female, over 10" with rule, posted with Guy's permission :)

Cheers,
Steve