The Dead Animal Room

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whether it happened in the past or not, it represents a wild disabandon of respect for nature. Tigers, almost extinct in the wild. Black Rhino's, almost extinct in the wild except for Western Black Rhinos, they're gone completely. Asiatic and African Leopards, both threatened in the wild. The majority of the African Hoofed stock, threatened in the wild. It may have happened years ago but the heads on the wall are part of their downfall. Don't get me wrong. Hunters are actually one of the better sources of conservationism in America. Ducks Unlimted has saved and restored more wetlands than the private sector and the government combined. Deer hunters has actually set back the balance lost by the extinction of mega predators in North American forests. But hunting for the sake of blowing some animals brains out and putting its hide on a wall is disgusting no matter how you attempt to rationalize it to me.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whether it happened in the past or not, it represents a wild disabandon of respect for nature. Tigers, almost extinct in the wild. Black Rhino's, almost extinct in the wild except for Western Black Rhinos, they're gone completely. Asiatic and African Leopards, both threatened in the wild. The majority of the African Hoofed stock, threatened in the wild. It may have happened years ago but the heads on the wall are part of their downfall. Don't get me wrong. Hunters are actually one of the better sources of conservationism in America. Ducks Unlimted has saved and restored more wetlands than the private sector and the government combined. Deer hunters has actually set back the balance lost by the extinction of mega predators in North American forests. But hunting for the sake of blowing some animals brains out and putting its hide on a wall is disgusting no matter how you attempt to rationalize it to me.
Trophy hunters do not hunt to "blow some animals brains out" as that would ruin the mount. But i have no use for hunting JUST to have a trophy. If i happen to kill one that is impressive for food, and can afford the taxidermist fees then i may have one mounted. But i tend to shoot the culls, the animals wiht apparantly weaker genes. They tend to taste as good and keeps the better breeding stock in the wild to reproduce.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed.

Beating your wife was allowed at one time, as was keeping slaves.

Yet, seeing the pictures of it from a time it was legal would still horrify me.

However, life is life and though we cannot change the past, we can carve a new future. Well, there's optimism. Genuine but likely misguided. *sigh*

Anyway, I have had to edit this thread due to a personal attack...

I really, really hate seeing these pictures, so please... keep me out of this thread by keeping it civil.

Oh, and don't forget the report-a-post function.

Not only does it work... but hey, it's fun too.
(and nothing dies when you pull the trigger.) ;)

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whats that tiny animal in front of the black rhino picture?

Wow thats sad about the black rhino being extinct in the wild! Are there only two types of rhino in africa? I hope I can get to Africa soon before everything is dead lol

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While I don't believe in hunting animals for trophies (it's okay if you eat the meat, too), that is still by far the coolest room I have yet seen! My husband even came in to look at the pictures--which is miraculous in and of itself!

Very nice!

Never_2_Old

Arachnopeon
Weak-eyed, hard of hearing, bow-legged shaved chimp + oposing thumbs and large brain = ultimate predator. It's a fact of life.

Mr_Baker4420

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm from louisiana. i don't like bush. i'm not a hick. oil doesn't turn me on. but meat tastes real good, and i love hunting. try to keep in mind the fact that they weren't hunting endangered animals. it was a long time ago when these animals were taken. anyway, it's a really awesome trophy room. i have some animals mounted on my wall, but they were all turned into sausage and steak before that. also, it would have been way more awesome if they had mounted the entirety of the big cats instead of just half of the body. thanks for posting the pictures.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try to keep in mind the fact that they weren't hunting endangered animals.
Maybe not, but hunting is what ended up making them endagered. And in the end, it was poachers that destroyed the black rhino.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing Sky! Must be cool having sort of an exhibit like what you see at any museum (reminds me of natural history in NY and Chicago) in your grandfather's house!

Mr_Baker4420

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe not, but hunting is what ended up making them endagered. And in the end, it was poachers that destroyed the black rhino.
yes poaching is bad! very bad! but regulated hunting can actually be good for some animals. trophy hunts are quite pricey, and the profits can be used for breeding programs as well as purchasing land for reserves. also, try to keep in mind mass urbanization kills more animals than hunting.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So when are you gonna strip the skin off them and get some skulls? :D

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Not only does it work... but hey, it's fun too.
(and nothing dies when you pull the trigger.) ;)
Where's the fun in that...:mad:

Though that is a very cool room (reminds me of the "trophy room" in the Boston Museum of Science) and could potentially be used as a great teaching tool.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So when are you gonna strip the skin off them and get some skulls? :D
{D ROFLMAO {D Good one, Lelle. REAL good! HaHaHAAA. {D

Sky, is the fur of a Polar Bear soft? And is it true that their skin is black?

How soft is the tiger?

Did you pet all of them?

:8o Sorry about all them questions...I'm just curious.

---
Wendy
---

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sky, Thank you for sharing those pics with us!!!!They are truely some great impressive animals and I thank you that I got to see them..I don't think I have ever saw anything of the sort before but I am glad I got to...Thanks!!!
:worship:
Darren

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hehe. If I was in that room I would definitely pet everything. How often do you get to pet a polar bear or a rhino? :)

Someone mentioned a room full of monkey heads. Boy would that be creepy.:1: Monkeys kind of creep me out anyway, especially one eyed monkeys ;)

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing these pics, what an amazing catalogue of natural history. Yes, the loss if life is sad, but I would like to add just two points.

1) Poaching, particularly for useless Asian "folk" medicines, are what drove rhinos and tigers to the brink of extinction, not hunting.

2) The game animals were very likely NOT wasted or just taken for trophy. Even into present days, the meat from the game animals is kept by the local guide. Often this is the only source of meat and income this family will have.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow those are like.. very perfectly preserved!!
very nice and cool..thakns for sharing!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm thinking the intent of posting the photos is to show us some amazing animals that even in a rather pathetic state(ok, lets be honest) are still awe inspiring to look at. It should encourage us to do more to preserve the living animals that these mounts represent.

Good points by Mr. Baker btw. If the wild stocks are worth something their is more of an incentive to preserve and protect them from poachers.