Tampa area T society???

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lucara I hope you can attend. Katy had a great idea, meet her and ride up with her.
I will PM all interested tonight with my address or just give you directions. And I will include my phone number if there is any problems.

GK

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This will be awkward for me probably being the youngest......... 8/ I'll go but might not stay the whole time. I am heading down to Miami that day too sometime the to the Keys..

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This will be awkward for me probably being the youngest......... 8/ I'll go but might not stay the whole time. I am heading down to Miami that day too sometime the to the Keys..
How old are you? And how would that be awkward?

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why are you always going on about your age? This is like the third time I've read about you saying how young you are. lol I'm really sorry, but get over it.

There are going to be more than a few people that are younger than you, some by a WHOLE LOT. There are several kids, ranging in age from 6 to teens. GK's kid is 13, and I know for a fact that he's excited as hell and not a bit worried that most people will be older than him. Lots will be in younger 20s. Why is it so awkward to be 3 or 4 years younger than people? Rob is one of my best buds and he's a solid 10 years my senior. I'm also pretty good friends with Jeff, who is also 10 years older than I am. Really, you're making a mountain out of the whole age thing. I also have several very good friends who are 18-19, freshmen in college. If it's awkward for you to hang out with people that are less than 10, even less than 5 years older than you, then you're really missing out. You're 19. You're not 11. You should be able to socialize with people in their 20s without any issue. We all have the same hobby, you know.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
now I feel like an idiot for even bringing it up. Idk I guess here where I am from people look at me when I talk about animals and say "your only 19 and are too inexperienced to join in the conversation yet alone know what we are talking about" when in reality I know what is up. I'll let it go.... End of story..

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of the great things about this is getting people together of all ages and experience levels. We can ALL learn from each other. And if the age thing is an issue, I will gaurantee you that even though I am 37, I am a bigger kid than most!!! lmao

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brachy (I don't know your real name yet ;)):

Believe me, at this point, age doesn't matter. I'm 26. So if we were both still in grade school, if I was a senior, you'd be in 5th grade. Yes, that's a big deal.

But here in the real world, things like that don't matter. If I met you out in the workforce, I doubt I'd think of you any differently than anyone else. Like Katy said, we all have the same hobby, and that's a great starting point for becoming friends and starting relationships with people.

Speaking of the workforce...I got laid off yesterday. I think I'll still be able to make it up there, but my attendance has to be downgraded from 'definite' to 'probable'. Sorry guys.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry about your job loss, Joe, that sucks. :( Hope you are still able to make it.

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joe, I'm sorry to hear about that!! If needed I will come and pick you guys up. Just let me know and consider it done.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The names Kris..... I guess the intimidation of elders knowing more than them put me at a set back lol. I know it's different here. Not a senior though. I am in college and everything but I think that was just to make a point...

BTW:

Are we all bringing our own dish for everyone to eat?????

Last edited:

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think we can do that, or we can all bring a little bit of money to order pizza or something else equally easy. It would be great if some people would bring drinks and snacks regardless of which route we take. Food would definitely be attractive for a first meeting! I want this to be a success, and I know that Rob is pretty dedicated, too. We want to do everything we can to make it work out and keep people interested.

Other things that we thought should happen business-wise, but shouldn't take too long to deal with:
-come up with a name for the group; vote on it
-decide minor things like how often to meet and on a regular "venue"
-consider the need to some sort of minor "officer" positions

Things we can do for fun:
-I am bringing a microscope, so everyone can bring molts and sex them or learn how to sex them.
-Spiderling give-away or raffle or something similar
-Bring a spider to show off
-Mature Male exchange and/or a mating demo with a willing pair...or, if anyone has an eggsac, it might be fun to pull or open an eggsac.

Any other suggestions for business or activities?

gecko_keeper/KBfauna

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bring a dish would be pretty nice, as well as the cleanup will be easy. Or order in something.
My vote for the group name---- TATS Tampa Area Tarantula Society
Bringing a T to show off or talk about is a great idea. But for those of us that don't have large collections, if you'd like to see a certain species or just learn more about one, let us know and I'm sure we can arrange to have one at the meeting.
Hey Katy, I have several unsexed T's that have molted recently that I will "donate" to your microscope. 2 Nhandu's and an E. uataman WHOO-HOO!!
I'd like to get a list of e-mail addresses for the ease of contacting everyone with an agenda or anything else. If that's ok with everyone.

GK

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will forward my list of email addresses to you, Rob. Most of the people that I invited are not part of AB.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I have a 5" P. Regalis that I think I am going to breed so if anyone has a MM I would be more that happy to bring my little girl up for a demo and split the sac prices.. Idk if I want to wait for a moult or not. Maybe also a video camera and/or a camera for a group photos and what not?? Let use know about the whole food situation... If we are having a raffle/sale should let everyone know to bring extra money in case they want to buy something off of someone?? Just throwing things out there...

Kris

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it'd be a good idea to bring money or stuff to trade...there might be opportunities. I know I have some things I'd sell, and Rob probably does, too. Joe and Jeff might also have Ts for sale.

I'm not going to buy (I'm broke!!) but I'm down with trading!

reptscue

Arachnopeon
WOO HOO!!!!!
Finally!!
I'm glad to see that someone got the initiative to get this going.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it... I do a lot of petsitting on the weekends. I just have to check my schedual.

I love the name TATS!!!
But is there going to be anyone else in FL that will have a Tarantula Society??? Do we want to keep the name to just Tampa?? Not all of the members would be from there???

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOO HOO!!!!!
Finally!!
I'm glad to see that someone got the initiative to get this going.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it... I do a lot of petsitting on the weekends. I just have to check my schedual.

I love the name TATS!!!
But is there going to be anyone else in FL that will have a Tarantula Society??? Do we want to keep the name to just Tampa?? Not all of the members would be from there???
I like the name TATS, too. :) We can discuss other options at the meeting, though, when we're all together. I really hope that you can come, Kim!