Spermathecae Resource Thread

ianhunt

Arachnopeon
Can you guys help me sex my g.rosea? this is the best shot i can get from my phone, the molt is more than a day old and i think i overstretched it.thanks in advance!

Attachments

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I’m reviving this thread because this is hands down one of the most useful threads I have come across in my 15 years on the boards.

2” Chilobrachys sp Tropical Blue
216EBF45-83B6-424B-B2C9-848B1B306F1D.jpeg

2.5” Avicularia avicularia m1
IMG_8734.jpeg

1” Typhochlaena seladonia
9344D880-9E0F-4177-B949-520B8ACA6F9C.jpeg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for doing this. I didn't know this existed, though I remember someone asking about needing this a month of so ago.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
2” Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue

34C6CEA8-CC0F-4732-8E53-05D8F6796277.jpeg

I will update later with Avicularia purpurea as well seeing as my 3.5” female molted yesterday.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
2” Taskinus bambus spermathacae at 20x magnification
FC2C7F88-AEEA-494A-9FD3-4A8EF52366C5.jpeg

1” Omothymus schioedtei spermathacae at 40x magnification 1BA5B4B8-E3E5-4F21-B880-EEEF80D4E0CA.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Good thread to know about. Here are some of the recent reference posts I've made:

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Just want to add a reminder here! Please don't just post size and species, but include 'male' or 'female'.

It says 'spermathecae resource thread', but was already highlighted that it is helpful to see comparison shots, and that included ventrals when possible.

It's easy to prove the presence of spermathecae, and so sex on that proof. It's not so easy to 'prove' the absence of them in all cases, as has been mentioned - thinking of smaller and immature tarantulas. It just makes it much easier for people to new to the process, who will be most likely to be seeking these threads out, to judge what they may or may not be seeing.

There's a reason my vet and I frequently have discussions around how pointless it is to do exploratory examination in many cases (such as in search of a potential foreign body) unless we have a solid theory and the initial goal of such is to prove that theory. Beyond that not finding a foreign body doesn't mean none are present - just that none were found.

Also, some image hosting and the watermarks included obscure the important areas. So it might be worth checking if theres a better crop that doesn't do this, or using an alternative host if happy to and you have one available. Or using your own watermark and removing there's, if that's a possibility.