Spermathecae Resource Thread

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Good to hear. I'm not sure if it's legal to post pictures of all 11 pages of them.
Legal or not, it is a violation of this site's rules to post pictures that do not belong to you. This includes scans, screenshots, pictures of, or any other means of reproducing works that you did not create yourself or have permission from the copyright owner to reproduce. For this thread, please post pictures that you took yourself or clearly state you have permission from the creator or copyright owner to reproduce if you didn't take the picture.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I do the same thing - check everywhere on the internet before posting and asking for feedback. And, while I often don't have a problem finding mature female spermathecae, there is a real shortage of immature female examples. Many people are checking for sex far before they are mature and there are very few resources.
That is why I have been making an effort to post my immature females in the gallery when I can. A lot of those photos are around the 3" mark, or less when possible, and that is when a lot of people start searching for examples that they can compare to.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Immature (prob around 5.5" relaxed legspan) Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" -- my guess is it will be fully developed within the next 3 molts.
IMG_3378.JPG

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I need to stop throwing my molts away. :/

Megaphobema mesomelas
upload_2017-11-8_15-11-22.png
Cyriopagopus hainanum
upload_2017-11-8_15-11-53.png
Chromotopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB)
upload_2017-11-8_15-12-41.png
Aphonopelma moderatum
upload_2017-11-8_15-13-23.png
Delete this is you want, but I thought it was pretty neat, and has helped a lot of members out in the past.
How to ventrally determine male from female in Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus (Male left / female right)
upload_2017-11-8_15-15-23.png

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
He's a boy, right? I can't find a flap/pocket between the upper book lungs, but this is the first time I've really tried to sex a molt.

Attachments

Bumba

Arachnopeon
I think perhaps the best way to help people learn to sex would be just to show photos of each gender. I will get the ball rolling. This is a female B. smithi.
molt:

Note the flap on the molt. Its the give-away for females. Absense of some sort of flap indicates a male, but remember to look closely! Some are tricky.
ventrally:

1. Males, especially more mature males may have a patch of somewhat thick hairs here.
2. More of a lip (this is where males deposit sperm). Males sometimes appear to have a "hole".
3. In comparison, females have a farther distance between the second book lungs.
4. Males sometimes appear to have a "half circle" patch. It is absent here. Sorry, its asymetrical.
The other two things have no significance, i just couldnt help myself :8o
Thanks. That helps.

Darktiger432

Arachnopeon
I've never tried holding my T's this way, do you find it to be effective?
Do not hold an old world like this. That guy has guts.

Does anyone have any pics of male and female moots from Pink Salmon Bird Eater? I want to know what I am looking for. Also, I was told by Tarantula Canada that I would be able to determine sex until sling is at least 1.5 inches? Accurate?
well I was going take pic of the molt of mi lasi fir you. But her was so shriveled even with water I tore it. No it's not accurate. You just need a microscope or a good camera to get close up in between the book lung.