Spermathecae Resource Thread

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Lol I think I might have helped create a monster here lol. Next thing you know @NMTs Is trying to get time on the electron microscope in Albuquerque, talking about I need to sex this molt from a Cyriocosmus sellatus that went from EWL to 1i :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .
😆 I'm sure they've got some pretty sweet equipment at Sandia National Labs, and that's just down the street... 🤔

I've always enjoyed the challenge of sexing T's, especially the small ones, so I've been thinking I should get a proper microscope for a while. You definitely got me to start looking seriously, though, because it's hard to even know where to start when you've not used a real microscope since biology lab in college (which was an undisclosed number of years ago 😅). Your list of suggested equipment was extremely helpful, so yeah - the bombardment of spermathecae pics is absolutely @l4nsky fault everyone! Ha!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Here are my latest contributions, 😆.

This ^^ one is from this little beauty:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I pulled 4 molts to examine this evening, and all 4 ended up being female - including my A. minatrix which I was convinced was male!

20240628_225337.jpg

20240628_230146.jpg

1000024891.jpg

1000024892.jpg

And one more from a few days ago:
20240627_135554.jpg

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
This thread has excellent information. The pictures are such good quality. I can’t wait to have some molts that are good enough to contribute to this data base.

Many thanks to the microscope suggestion. Sometimes there is too much choice and I end up lossed in the pros and cons of a model. Then i don’t buy anything because I am overloaded.

I have been holding back on purchasing a good microscope for a while. Been relying on tricks with magnifying glasses and my phone.

I tried using my spotting scope, but that was a fail.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I tried using my spotting scope, but that was a fail.
That got an audible chuckle out of me lol. Was picturing like a big Vortex Razor HD on a 90° mount looking down at a 3/8" molt :rofl: .

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
You got it right too. Synchronicity hahaha. I got myself a Vortex, that exact one too 😇🥲.

Could not afford the Kowa. I am still dreaming of it. My bino’s are swarovski. The price you pay for good glass, is the quality you get. Sigh.

You should have seen it in action. The determination was there. But it was failed from the begining.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You got it right too. Synchronicity hahaha. I got myself a Vortex, that exact one too 😇🥲.

Could not afford the Kowa. I am still dreaming of it. My bino’s are swarovski. The price you pay for good glass, is the quality you get. Sigh.

You should have seen it in action. The determination was there. But it was failed from the begining.
Thankfully, I don't need to spend money on top tier glass just yet, or even a spotting scope for that matter. I seldom have large lines of sight in the Midwest, just need durable binos and a range finder. Vortex was a relatively easy decision when I got the gear for my neck of the woods as the lifetime replacement warranty and price point pretty much made the choice for me.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
Thankfully, I don't need to spend money on top tier glass just yet, or even a spotting scope for that matter. I seldom have large lines of sight in the Midwest, just need durable binos and a range finder. Vortex was a relatively easy decision when I got the gear for my neck of the woods as the lifetime replacement warranty and price point pretty much made the choice for me.
That is why I bought the Vortex scope. Lifetime warranty. I splurged a bit more on the tripod, to limit vibrations when i am working near water and open fields. And a fluid head pan tilt head 🥲. It makes for better recording. Sigh, these adult toys 😅.