Recommendations for beginner T's that are particularly colorful/beautiful

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
I started with a G. Pulchripes a couple months ago and now I am looking for a new tarantula that is completely different from the black striped look of my G. Pulchripes. At first I was looking at Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, the Green Bottle Blue because of their beautiful coloration but I hear they are pretty skittish.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My GBB is pretty laid-back. Give them the right set-up and they're quite manageable IME. ;)

T. cyaneolum is also a very beautiful and generally calm and docile spider:

But IMHO nothing tops a C. versicolor! :kiss: You just have to love the colouration... going from a little blueberry

to these fluffy colourful adults with green carapace, red abdomen and pink/purple-ish legs. :astonished:
20190815_freshly moulted.jpg

Theneil

Arachnoprince
GBB but can be skittish
C. versicolor (tend to ocaaionally come out ans up your arm)
Y. diversipes (see C. versicolor)
Brachypelma Sp.
some Aphonopelma sp.(moorea and bicoloratum come to mind)

I am kinda brain dead ATM so i cant think of any others....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
B.boehmei, B.emilia come to mind. G.iheringi, one of the most pretty and perfect beginner species there is. :)

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
I concur on the Thrixopelma cyaneolum. Mine has been super calm and easy going so far, plus really beautiful specie and out and about all the time. A bit rare though.

Last edited:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
P. sazimai can be beginner friendly as long as you're okay dealing with a slightly skittish T. But most Brachypelma spp are absolutely stunning color wise post molt. Avicularia spp also come to mind when talking about beautiful beginner Ts. But in my opinion, the T that you want to get, the GBB, is the path to go if you want a beautiful T

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
1. C. versicolor (with proper husbandry research here on AB, not internet/YT care sheets).
2. G. iheringi (look at the picture I posted in the gallery yesterday).
3. B. boehmei very pretty, but number three because it takes a long while for those colors to show forth.

GBB? meh... If you hit them with the right light they’re nice looking, but if you just glance into the enclosure under normal conditions it looks like a lanky, black spider sitting deep in a web.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
1. C. versicolor (with proper husbandry research here on AB, not internet/YT care sheets).
2. G. iheringi (look at the picture I posted in the gallery yesterday).
3. B. boehmei very pretty, but number three because it takes a long while for those colors to show forth.

GBB? meh... If you hit them with the right light they’re nice looking, but if you just glance into the enclosure under normal conditions it looks like a lanky, black spider sitting deep in a web.
I think Gbb are at their most pretty as slings and later right after a moult. The rest of the time...meh.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I second G. iheringi as well. It has a beautiful red butt, and what is not to love about a red butt? :D

Interestingly, the tarantula in my collection that gets the most 'Oohhs' and 'Aahhs' is my B. hamorii. It is probably the most common tarantula in the hobby and the first one that most people associate with tarantulas, I presume. It is therefore for many a less interesting tarantula because it is so mainstream. But I don't care. She is beauty, and so says everyone who comes over to see my tarantulas :)

I recently purchased a B. albiceps. I am always amazed by their looks somehow. Mine is a juvie female and the colours are showing, but haven't reached their full potential. I will just have to wait a couple of years :D

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
G. iheringi

A. seemanni (Blue Form)

Brachypelma spp.
View media item 62315 View media item 61426
A. geniculata

Aviculariinae
View media item 60214

I think Gbb are at their most pretty as slings
This, Theraphosinae sp. "Colombia" can't become readily available soon enough.

StormyMyth729

Arachnosquire
My GBB is pretty laid-back. Give them the right set-up and they're quite manageable IME. ;)

I do have to agree with the T.cyaneolum. They are beautiful and quite docile...ifff you can find one lol

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'd recommend L. parahybana, C. cyaneopubescens, Brachypelma species hamorii, emilia, baumgarteni. Also C. versicolor but they're more fragile as small slings I'd get one 1" or bigger and make sure to give extra ventilation.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Pamphobeteus males are all strikingly colourful and the females are still impressive in their own right. Yes, they are more skittish, but definitely manageable for a proper minded beginner. But I understand if you aren’t ready for a big potentially nervous ‘birdeater’. Just wanted to put it out there.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon

But IMHO nothing tops a C. versicolor! :kiss: You just have to love the colouration... going from a little blueberry

to these fluffy colourful adults with green carapace, red abdomen and pink/purple-ish legs. :astonished:
View attachment 317837
Thanks for the photos! I didn't know C. Versicolors were that multicolored, that is probably right at the top of my list now.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
GBB but can be skittish
C. versicolor (tend to ocaaionally come out ans up your arm)
Y. diversipes (see C. versicolor)
Brachypelma Sp.
some Aphonopelma sp.(moorea and bicoloratum come to mind)

I am kinda brain dead ATM so i cant think of any others....
Yeah, this thread actually put me up to the C. Versicolor and now I am looking to get one soon.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
I concur on the Thrixopelma cyaneolum. Mine has been super calm and easy going so far, plus really beautiful specie and out and about all the time. A bit rare though.
I would've definitely gone for T Cyaneolum due to the nice blue color that resembles a GBB but it seems they're a little difficult to find right now.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
Yea, I would have gone for them too but sadly, you are correct in the fact that they are pretty difficult to find.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
I second G. iheringi as well. It has a beautiful red butt, and what is not to love about a red butt? :D

Interestingly, the tarantula in my collection that gets the most 'Oohhs' and 'Aahhs' is my B. hamorii. It is probably the most common tarantula in the hobby and the first one that most people associate with tarantulas, I presume. It is therefore for many a less interesting tarantula because it is so mainstream. But I don't care. She is beauty, and so says everyone who comes over to see my tarantulas :)

I recently purchased a B. albiceps. I am always amazed by their looks somehow. Mine is a juvie female and the colours are showing, but haven't reached their full potential. I will just have to wait a couple of years :D
Both B. Hamorii with the cool red legs and B. Albiceps with the contrasting colors look great and they are realatively affordable and readily available. However their slow growth rate has kind of pushed me away from looking for a Brachypelma. But I might look at buying them soon following the C. Versicolor as the weather here in Northern California seems to be great for slings as my G. Pulchripes has molted twice from 3/4 to a solid 2 inches with its legs stretched out in only 3 months! And seeing as how there is a reptile show coming next week, if I happen to see either I would definitely buy them.