preparing for Aphonopelma chalcodes date

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I just received this handsome mature male (~6 weeks mature) Aphonopelma chalcodes! :happy:

Should I wait for evidence of a sperm web before introducing him to my female? He seemed unstressed, only thirsty after his travel and eager to be out. I'm thinking that I should wait a few days at least to let him acclimate. I've already started feeding my female extra so she should not be hungry. The fact that she is so much bulkier makes me nervous for him, but their difference seems normal for the species. This will be my second breeding attempt (my first was between Euathlus sp. reds and unsuccessful because the female was too old or unwell -- no casualties at least!) and I'd appreciate especially species specific advise. I didn't find much in the breeding reports. Assuming mating is successful, will I need to cool the female at some point to induce egg-laying? My tarantulas are currently kept within a daily range of 76-84F.

Thank you! :D

My lovely girl:

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Nice ones. :) I would wait to put them together until you know he had made a spermweb first.
Because if you just put him in the females enclosure without knowing if he made a web. He is more likely gonna end up as a snack for your girl ;)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Nice ones. :) I would wait to put them together until you know he had made a spermweb first.
Because if you just put him in the females enclosure without knowing if he made a web. He is more likely gonna end up as a snack for your girl ;)
Thank you! I shall wait and watch then. :) I've placed their enclosures side-by-side so hopefully he'll be feeling inspired! ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That girl of yours is so gorgeous... I would give almost anything for her.
Still no luck in finding one in the Great White North. :watchingyou:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I wish you the best of luck with the mating:)
Great species. I wish you the best of luck :)
Thank you both! :happy:

Erin the Pimp! :wacky:
Haha, you should see all the millipede action I've got going on around here! :wacky: ;)

That girl of yours is so gorgeous... I would give almost anything for her.
Still no luck in finding one in the Great White North. :watchingyou:
Thank you! She is a wonderful tarantula -- beautiful and even-tempered with just a touch of attitude! ;) If all goes well, I will be happy to work with you or your dealer to get you some lovely blondes! :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
It has been a week now; hopefully, he has made a sperm web but I don't know. I have the male's and female's enclosures side-by-side and I've swapped some web substrate so they must be aware of one another. With my Euathlus sp. reds, I just let the male cross over into the female's enclosure, but they were much smaller relative to enclosure size. Plus, this male seems more interested in exploring or at least scouting out the area first and my having to block him from wandering off onto the dresser and beyond got him excited (and not in the way I wanted him to be) so that is not going to work. Somehow, I'd hoped he'd start drumming on the top of her cave/burrow and she'd come out and they'd tango. :p I think that she needs to be out of her burrow and he needs to have a larger area in which to move freely. So my plan is to place his enclosure in the bathtub and then add her to his enclosure (which he will probably have climbed out of as soon as I remove the lid) and watch, ready to intercede if there's aggression. Does that sound reasonable?

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
Once mating is "successful" how long does it take for the female to develop an egg sac. Does the female have to experience a winter to stimulate this? Any one have data on post mating events on Aphonopelma chalcodes ?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Commenting on this post for future updates! I've been very interested in this T lately and I think it might be my next :D They are absolutely gorgeous.
Good luck with the mating, I hope all goes well!