Species Poecilotheria metallica

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
5 pictures of my freshly molted sub-adult female Poecilotheria metallica.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
5 pictures of my freshly molted sub-adult female Poecilotheria metallica.

Just two words Eric.....FREAKING GORGEOUS!!!!

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WOW If I didn't understand the hype before...NOW I DO!
No hype needed. I have 5 metallica now.... always out in the open.... by FAR the calmest pokie I have... if not the calmest arboreal I have... I just can't praise them enough!

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
No hype needed. I have 5 metallica now.... always out in the open.... by FAR the calmest pokie I have... if not the calmest arboreal I have... I just can't praise them enough!
really great pics man :)
Are all of them that calm or just some of them?
is the picture of just one individual or is it pics of each and everyone?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are all of them that calm or just some of them? s the picture of just one individual or is it pics of each and everyone?
Those pics are of 1 spider. In my experience so far they are all very "calm". By this I mean once you have them out they just sorta walk around, havn't had any doing laps around my room yet!!!

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a little curious, but what is the temperment on a P. metallica? I have seen many pictures of people holding their which leads me to believe that they are a relatively calm/docile. Is this a true assumption?

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fenris said:
Just a little curious, but what is the temperment on a P. metallica? I have seen many pictures of people holding their which leads me to believe that they are a relatively calm/docile. Is this a true assumption?

I have heard they are one of the calmest, if not, the calmed pokie, but I won't know for sure until mine are bigger ;)

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fenris said:
Just a little curious, but what is the temperment on a P. metallica?
I'm also curious to this question, no experience with pokies before although I always see the P.regalis at my local Herp shop. How do they compare to say Avic or Brachy sp. in terms of temperament?

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brando said:
where do you get these beautiful T's?
heh seems there is a secret source of these T's wandering around and no one wants to let in on where it is....

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Brando said:
heh seems there is a secret source of these T's wandering around and no one wants to let in on where it is....
Was there sarcasm in this? A quick check of some dealers might reveal who STILL has them in stock. They have been offered a few times since mid-03...Heck Kelly swift just did the first successful US breeding ($235 ea btw)
T

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
monantony said:
Was there sarcasm in this? A quick check of some dealers might reveal who STILL has them in stock. They have been offered a few times since mid-03...Heck Kelly swift just did the first successful US breeding ($235 ea btw)
T
yeah just a bit haha, i checked all dealers that i knew of but didn't see them so i was stumpped. Thanks alot :-D (no sarcasm here)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IME, P. metallica isn't as docile as Aviculariae but they are calmer than P. regalis. Basically, they're not inclined to throw a threat display but are somewhat nervous. I stick my hand in their cages without any hesitation but I'm not saying that's a good idea for everybody. I DON'T try grabbing them or blocking their path with my hand. On one occasion, one got out and zipped around my arms and chest about two times before finally stopping on my bare leg. I wasn't all that freaked but I certainly didn't move either; I was pretty sure it wasn't going to bite me without a good reason. I got it back in the cage without much difficulty. As Old World species go, they're relatively mellow but don't screw around with them because it's likely that their venom is painful.

Karen N.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
oh my god once more :drool: :drool: ....thats it im getting one :D

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First Molt

Well my baby just went through her first molt with me. Kinda scared me b/c she molted sideways, you can't really see it in the pics, but she's basically wedged herself between the web and the wall of the vial. Still, seems to have gone well, she's already starting to darken up. I love this spider! :D

Attachments