Species Poecilotheria metallica

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
monantony said:
I would LOVE a pic of 'white carrying' females versus males at ,say, 3" or so..
IS there a way to sex them like regalis and the folio coloring ( which isnt 100% I know)
T
Here's a male, I wasn;t able to disturb the adult female at the time. Note regen legs III + IV

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Wow

im just catching on to this now. I believe the Store hes talking about, is the store I work for Megapets Just to clear things up, they def are metallicas , and yes some do look "maleish", and some also look "femalish". We have 6, (besides the 3 in my personal collection) The spiders came from Tom Agosta the same source just about ever other metallica in this country came from. If anybody comes into my store and wants to now the sex on a spider I tell them up front, if i do know the sex. I dont play games or "hose" people by telling them it destroyed its molt. Males and females of this spieces are both equally blue. THe spiders at the store are about 3 inches now, and if I was gonna sell one it wouldnt go for 400.

And too stay on topic heres a couple picks...from the store. The flash of the cam tells a different story.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I need to jump in here and vouch 1000% for Tom. I have been there many time myself when ppl ask about the Ts (and for that matter all his animals) on display and he is always truthful in his dealings with them. I have seen him talk ppl out of an obvious sale when it was not the right fit for them (or the animal).

So to be back on topic....Are those P metallicas? YES they are!

Jeff

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Philth said:
im just catching on to this now. I believe the Store hes talking about, is the store I work for Megapets Just to clear things up, they def are metallicas , and yes some do look "maleish", and some also look "femalish". We have 6, (besides the 3 in my personal collection) The spiders came from Tom Agosta the same source just about ever other metallica in this country came from. If anybody comes into my store and wants to now the sex on a spider I tell them up front, if i do know the sex. I dont play games or "hose" people by telling them it destroyed its molt. Males and females of this spieces are both equally blue. THe spiders at the store are about 3 inches now, and if I was gonna sell one it wouldnt go for 400.

And too stay on topic heres a couple picks...from the store. The flash of the cam tells a different story.
hmmmm? Maybe Chris didn't get a very good look at them? Those are no doubt P. metallica. I do understand that males are blue too, but when they molt into maturity, they aren't quite as dazzling. My comments weren't meant to offend anybody. It really is hard to "fake" a P. metallica. Here's a male...

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I never mentioned any store names - just so I don't look like a troubemaker here! I was just curious. All my dealings with Tom and Megagpaets have been fine in the past.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
chris73 said:
I never mentioned any store names - just so I don't look like a troubemaker here! I was just curious. All my dealings with Tom and Megagpaets have been fine in the past.
It's cool Chris, I'm glad to know that Megapets has Philth working for them, because "most" pet stores know very little about T's.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jcohen9999 said:
Still looks pretty blue to me.
Yes, true, but after a few months they do fade a bit, and if the lighting wasn't right, they might make someone question. But, no big deal. I'll vouch for Tommy too.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Chris, you should know that only other 'local' Reptile store that carries any decent amount of Ts is closely aligned with Tommy but the lighting in there is so bad you can barely identify anything in there. But they do know their stuff.

Jeff

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
jcohen9999 said:
Chris, you should know that only other 'local' Reptile store that carries any decent amount of Ts is closely aligned with Tommy but the lighting in there is so bad you can barely identify anything in there. But they do know their stuff.

Jeff
I'm pretty sure I know which store you're talking about Jeff and if it's the one on rt. 107 I can't say I agree with you. They do know some stuff, but there was a while back when they had a dying P. striata. When I brought it to their attention, they vehemently told me I had no idea what I was talking about, that it was molting. I went back the next week and the T was no longer there. I asked what happened to it and they said it died. I was gonna say I told you so, but decided to just buy my crickets and walk out. Last time I've been in that store.

I also want to say that if it's Megapets and Tom that are being spoken about earlier in the thread (NOT the pet store I'm referring to in the first part of this post) that I trust that he's selling what he says he is.

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Swifty said:
hmmmm? Maybe Chris didn't get a very good look at them? Those are no doubt P. metallica. I do understand that males are blue too, but when they molt into maturity, they aren't quite as dazzling. My comments weren't meant to offend anybody. It really is hard to "fake" a P. metallica. Here's a male...
Kelly,

Is that my Studmaster? He's still looking pretty good for a boy his age..... :)

Scott

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
I am also going to vouch for Tom (Philth). He is very knowledgeable and very honest. Also, I will vouch for Tommy Agosta. The real deal! :)

Debby

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
mrderanged said:
I'm pretty sure I know which store you're talking about Jeff and if it's the one on rt. 107 I can't say I agree with you. They do know some stuff, but there was a while back when they had a dying P. striata. When I brought it to their attention, they vehemently told me I had no idea what I was talking about, that it was molting. I went back the next week and the T was no longer there. I asked what happened to it and they said it died. I was gonna say I told you so, but decided to just buy my crickets and walk out. Last time I've been in that store.

Scott
If this is the same place that Jeff is referring to, then I am going to have to agree with Scott on this one. I did not care very much for their attitudes. But it has been a long time since we were in there last, maybe they changed?

Debby

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I guess I was being too kind. I know their attitude kinda sucks sometimes (person dependent) and I would not keep my personal collection the some way they keep some of their stock but they do know where most of their stock comes from and what it is.

Jeff

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mrderanged said:
Kelly,

Is that my Studmaster? He's still looking pretty good for a boy his age..... :)

Scott
Yeah thats him! He's faded a bit, that photo was taken when he first got here, but still looks good! Eats good too!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
no offense was takin guys

It's cool Chris, I'm glad to know that Megapets has Philth working for them, because "most" pet stores know very little about T's.
Hope you guys understand, as Chris pionted out he didnt mention anynames. I did. Although If I see somthing that I believe is written about me, Im gonna comment on it. :)

....and dont get me wrong if i heard that a "Petshop" was selling a P metallica, i would also be unsure about it.

Last edited:

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jcohen9999 said:

Jeff
I know of 4 stores on LI that carry a good supply of T's within driving distance of the North Shore (not Petco's or Petland's), and I still have NOT said it was Megapets. I like that store.