Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and also if anybody has anything to trade we can leave it at Andrews house for its safety....

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
and also if anybody has anything to trade we can leave it at Andrews house for its safety....
right. and you can see me bugs if you want. and get your free G. rosea sling. heheheehe.

and as just Warren pointed out to me... i forgot to say that the Scottish Rite Center is in San Diego, CA

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
25.25 Hours To Go!!!!!!

meet at my house! PM or email me at cacoseraph@yahoo.com for my actual house number as the one i post is only to be used to automap to me!

Code:
Wburke17	i think so
buthus		??? where for art thou, butheo?
twirl and kill	yes
DavidRS		no
nbond1986	yes
russman		?
what		?
MizM		?
thiscordia	gone to vegas?
ftorres		i believe yes
cricket54	 no, i think
Mudskipper	was talking about it, i think
Anette		no
abyss_x3	i believe so
MeaninglessEnd     no
Earl		hopefully
ronin		no
Griff		yes
JMoran1097	???
lizmotobike	???
compnerd7	???
julesaussies	yes
Did you remember your camera? Batteries fresh and/or charged? Plenty of room on your memcard?

Got water ready? Sun screen? Hiking shoes ready? (i know some people already have those out ;))

Tupperware? Paper towels? Condiment cups?

Have my address? Going to bring anything to potentially trade?

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
D) local socal events
Warren (wburke17) sent me a PM that i think the group would be interested in
"hey theres a herp/bug show at the scotish rite at the end of this month.. maybe we could see if anybody wants to make a trip out of this and maybe meeting up w/ anybody down there and do a lil h & h'n..
just a thought
W"
this sounds awesome to me... except personally i doubt i will be able to make it. i don't mind arranging for group stuff if you folks are intertersted though. there is an awesome dude down that way named "GQ." on arachnoboards that could probably show you guys some sweet places and techniques.
Here is the link to the Scottish Rite Center reptile show in San Diego. The show is on June 30, 2007 and July 1, 2007. I will most likely be there on Saturday June 30. Here is the link:

http://www.reptilesupershow.com/index.html

I'm up for a hike after the show. Feel free to send a PM if you are interested. I can scout out some locations. I'm also up for checking out some new places out east of Alpine if anyone is up for a little drive.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NOT FAIR, JUST NOT FAIR. I guess you guys can count me out AGAIN. Stupid boss told us no overtime this weekend and when I came in today and ask to reassure he said no one was coming in tommorow. Then about 5 minutes ago he called radio'd me to tell me that on second thought I do have to come in. I'm so freakin....uhggg. THIS SUCKS. I even put gas in my car. sorry guys.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NOT FAIR, JUST NOT FAIR. I guess you guys can count me out AGAIN. Stupid boss told us no overtime this weekend and when I came in today and ask to reassure he said no one was coming in tommorow. Then about 5 minutes ago he called radio'd me to tell me that on second thought I do have to come in. I'm so freakin....uhggg. THIS SUCKS. I even put gas in my car. sorry guys.
dang, sorry to hear that man.

we should be having another hunt relatively soon and then hopefully the Bug Bar-B-Que (BBBQ?) (or "b to the three q" as i like to say, starting now)

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
damn. i am out too. i have to go up to pt. hueneme. i really need to get out too. maybe i'll take the bike up there. i know there are tarantula's in the hollywood hills. my parents bought a house there in 1963; before it was trendy and expensive. i was fasinated by the tarantula that was near the front door. i could not understand why i could not have it as a pet. so why are there none in van nuys. maybe i'll cruse franklin canyon park, or griffith, and see if i can find anything. course it would help if i knew what to look for with T's. i am going to assume a hole in a bank with webbing. any tips?

i will aim for the next one. cacoseraph, thank you for all your energy spent organizing the fun. cheers. - liz

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi guys, I'm still having pretty bad back pain and don't think I could walk around and keep up with you. My back hurts from cleaning out my house in NJ and the 5 days we were on the road to CA. Think its going to be quite awhile before my pain subsides enough to go hiking. I was so looking forward to being out here to go collecting with you. Keep me in the loop with your plans though....

Sharon

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
damn. i am out too. i have to go up to pt. hueneme. i really need to get out too. maybe i'll take the bike up there. i know there are tarantula's in the hollywood hills. my parents bought a house there in 1963; before it was trendy and expensive. i was fasinated by the tarantula that was near the front door. i could not understand why i could not have it as a pet. so why are there none in van nuys. maybe i'll cruse franklin canyon park, or griffith, and see if i can find anything. course it would help if i knew what to look for with T's. i am going to assume a hole in a bank with webbing. any tips?

i will aim for the next one. cacoseraph, thank you for all your energy spent organizing the fun. cheers. - liz
i haven't found any tarantulas yet. user "GQ." can *probably* find them while literally standing on his head, though. he has all kinds of cool pics. look for his threads in the er, Nature Places place. he lives in ~San Diego, CA btw.

oh duh, lol. this guy:
<postsinthisfreakingthread=-5>
Here is the link to the Scottish Rite Center reptile show in San Diego. The show is on June 30, 2007 and July 1, 2007. I will most likely be there on Saturday June 30. Here is the link:

http://www.reptilesupershow.com/index.html

I'm up for a hike after the show. Feel free to send a PM if you are interested. I can scout out some locations. I'm also up for checking out some new places out east of Alpine if anyone is up for a little drive.
</postsinthisfreakingthread>

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Well i really don't know much about T's the only one I own is a pinktoe but I did see a burrow yesturday up at the hollywood sign. Sunset Ranch Trail. I always go up there but barely noticed yesturday. I'll take some pic's if I go today.

Griffin

Arachnopeon
Had a great time today meeting everyone, even though we didnt find much. Looking forward to the hike later this month!

Thanks for the sling nbond :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
we actually saw a decent amount of stuff... Warren's son is part ferret and part monkey and i mean that in the most complimentary sense

he found the predacious diving beetles which are pretty sweet. the same species, i imagine, as Buthus found in the canyon above my house

i liked the crazy blue damsel flies and ALL THE GRASSHOPPERS.

the giant species of Agelenopsis grass spiders live there, those are always impressive to see

and the massive Tarantula Hawk Wasp. those are always, er, impressive-in-a-fairly-frightening-sense to see. we could see that sucker flying against the wheat colored hillside from like ~100 feet away. BIG wasp!

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, yesterday we had another official S.C.A.B.I.E.S. Hike&Hunt.

It went well, but it was a bit slower and there was less stuff found than our past hike/hunts. But, all-in-all, a very positive day.

I don't have many pictures at all.... but we did finally remember to take group photos.

This is us when we met at Andrew's (cacoseraph's) house.
Back Row(L to R): Myself, Griffin, Andrew (cacoseraph), and Warren (wburke17)
Front Row(L to R): David's girlfriend (I blanked out on her name, sorry), David (triwrl and kill), Dylan (Warren's son), Francisco (ftorres)

Francisco had to leave, unfortunately, so he did not join us on the hike.....hopefully next time!

Once at the field site, we were joined by the family of Jule (julesaussies) [spelling?]

There were no big-game bugs found.....Dylan was probably the most successful hunter, having found two one of the predatious water beetles that Steven (buthus) had found and cultured on previous trips.
He also collected what appeared to be a penultimate Latrodectus hesperus to breed with a male he had at home. I wish I could even have one half of his energy.....I'd be an unstopable dynamo! :p

Anyway, the only big-game bug I caught, was not a bug at all....but a small gopher snake.

And finally this is us at the end of our hike/hunt, looking tired and disshevled.

Everyone in the picture is the same, except for the absence of Francisco....and the presence of Julie's family.

Good hike, fun conversation....as always.
Better luck next time, I suppose. I gotta find me a T!!!! :wall:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol i love the name guys!scabies :D
looks like lots of fun!would love to have an organized group like this out here

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
predacious diving beetles

Heres a few pics of them. After the pics were takin they were released in my pond..
This one was hatching babies (way cool)

this one is still full

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice job all. Hope to make the next one & meet some more members of the S.C.A.B.I.E.S. Hike & Hunt crew. If not, I'll make July.

Anyone going to the San Diego show at the end of the month?

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice job all. Hope to make the next one & meet some more members of the S.C.A.B.I.E.S. Hike & Hunt crew. If not, I'll make July.

Anyone going to the San Diego show at the end of the month?
I was thinking about and I beleive Neshan said he was interested as well.. GQ said he would be there on saturday and if we wanted to go for i hike afterwards he would show us his neck of the woods..
If we decied to go we can all carpool and save on gas and have more to spend on critters.... lets all have a show of hands of who wants to go.
W

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I unfortunately have been called for jury duty on the week of June 25th....

So, I don't know yet if I can make it.

I was originally called for the week of July 26th......but that would put the possibility of Arachnocon in the no-zone.

So, I asked them if I could have it moved earlier.....and that's the date they gave me.....the week of June 25th.

:(

I hope I can still make it to San Diego.....but I still don't know.