Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
one last push...

i will make my normal preview/zoom pics tomorrow. hopefully we will have good pics tomorrow. did i mention i think i got sunburned? did something to my brain, i think.

oh, and since i totally pooched the making a new thread thing anways, i might as well post the youtube here:

Angry Unidentified Caterpillar hifi

This fuzzy fellow is about 2.5-2.75"/6.5-7cm long. I did not pick it up (though i love playing with bugs) because i was worried that since it might have

itching hairs/poison needles and i was all hot and sweaty from walking around in the mountains for the previous 4.5 hours that something bad might be

able to happen =P

Also... this was one ANGRY caterpillar! Granted I *was* sort of giving him the the ol' dry grass tickle... but still... ANGRY!

This guy lives in the foothills above Azusa, Califorina, USA.

[UPLOADED FROM A 4.3MB WMV FILE]
[YOUTUBE]ASXdBeS2FfA[/YOUTUBE]

[UPLOADED FROM A 2.2MB WMV FILE]
[YOUTUBE]hJgS1DrurYw[/YOUTUBE]

Angry unidentified caterpillar Azusa California USA poison needles ATTACK!

Attachments

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how far up did you go?
ok, i don't know if you are familiar with my navigational ability... but i don't have one.. so

i went up and turned right at this big ol' bridge that was by a sign that said something like "River Community" or maybe it was riverside? dunno. but i bought the passes at what i think was that community thing, at a deli thing (pricy, bring your own!). i think i drove about 300-400 yards past that and pulled over and didn't get back into my car until 5-6 hours later. heh.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh yeah, buthus is going to love this place. there were other true spiders i didn't take pics of. jumpers and what not.

but i think that sort of dark brown and herringbone spider was SHARP looking. i think it might be Gnaphosidae for some reason. i don't even know what Gnapho are... ground spiders?

meh, i better get to sleep or i'm goign to drive off a cliff tomorrow.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you went up east fork, that deli has a camp ground there and a trailer park across the street, if you cont. up that road you will end up at mt. baldy village and then down to claremont, we will be going past the bridge on west fork..

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
any ideas where to go this time? the canyons again, theres lots to explore up there.. suggestions anone?
W

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, personally I love the wastelands.......disgusting as they are. but im totally up to trying the azusa canyons! (i didnt get to go last time)

my main goal is to get a T. and i think it just takes practice and a knack for finding their burrows. theyre not as easy to find as scorps and pedes....that's for sure.

I'm sure the canyons will be an optimal place to look. I'm up for anything! But the canyons sound great too.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Canyons sound good I really really wanted to go last time. Hey any ID on that frog I got one of those that I caught by the river bed in Bell. The L.A river. (if you can really call it that). But I don't think it came from there.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
our new(est?) "member", Griff, has brought up an interesting possiblity. it sounds like there is a pretty sweet place that sounds like it is North-NorthEast of the wastelands, within 10-15 miles of them, at most... there are tarantulas there :D

we could very easily do this place and then do a "fastfood" stop at the wastelands if our hunting urges haven't been sated at the new place

he sent me some pics to check out but i can't see them at work so i will post later tonight when i get home and let y'all know

Griffin

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
This location is in the foothills of san bernardino near the indian bingo. The last picture(167) is tooken from the street, the eucalyptis trees far in the background are where the 'goodies' are at. Its a short hike to reach the area but you can keep going pretty deep into the hills. Ive seen wandering tarantulas twice in this area when i used to ride BMX there about 10 years ago. The area has since had a significant fire and im not sure if that effects the wildlife still to this day.

Griffin

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Griffin

Arachnopeon
Ok, today i hung out with Andrew and was told that forsure this Sat hike will take place in the area i scouted. Im to believe that we are meeting up at Andrews house and heading out from there with me leading? If anyone just wants straight directions there i can go there tomarrow and get the Addy of the house across the street from the entrance. Let me know if anyone would like this.

Thanks,
Griffin

Griffin

Arachnopeon
OK after mapping the location, i feel its pretty straight forward so here the explanation: Go here http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl . Then put in this addy: E Foothill Dr, San Bernardino, San Bernardino, California 92404, United States. Now the entrance is right before Manzanita Dr. I Park on Manzanita Dr in the small neighborhood south of Foothill Dr. Hope this helps.

Griffin

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wait so are we meeting up at a house or going directly there.

Griffin

Arachnopeon
Im meeting at Andrews house. I just gave the directions for anyone thats late, or wondering how far a drive it is.

Griffin

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
standard-ish operating procedure so far has been to meet at someone's house and then sometimes "condense" the car/riding situation and leave some ppl's cars at the meeting house.

i will try to put together an informational email today for everyone and maybe post the email to this thread too, or something

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
JUNE 9th HUNT AND LOTS MORE!

2007-06-09....2007-06-09....2007-06-09....2007-06-09....2007-06-09....2007-06-09....
MESSAGE parts

A) nonhunting meeting (bugs & BBQ)
B) June 9th Hunt
C) Hunts in general
D) local socal events
E) Poeci. striata deal
F) GOOD GRIEF!

A) nonhunting meeting (bugs & BBQ)
There was a lot of interest in DavidRS' idea of a laid back meeting with some bbq and beverages of various natures. We are still trying to decide on a place. Depending on whether i am still in my house or moved to an apartment it is likely i will be able to host one... but my life is somewhat in flux at the moment so i don't want to plan anything revolving around me like that until i have a little better idea, you know, where i will be living next month. heh.

B) June 9th Hunt
Ok, since there was no other desires expressed it seems like we are hunting in the new area (well, new to the group) one of our new members, Griffin, scouted for us. Meet at my house at 9am. my address is
<PM or email cacoseraph@yahoo.com>
map to
12101 Blue Spruce Drive
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739
and then use your eyes to find my addresss of <PM or email cacoseraph@yahoo.com>

So far here is what i believe the, er, roster looks like. Please let me know if i have missed you or if i wrongly thought you were coming. You certainly don't "have" to let me know... but this way if you are positive you are coming we can stay and wait for you if you are running a few minutes late. it looks like this might actually turn out to be the biggest hike yet :D

Code:
Wburke17	i think so
buthus		
twirl and kill	yes
DavidRS		
nbond1986	yes
russman		
what		
MizM		
thiscordia	gone to vegas?
ftorres		i believe yes
cricket54	
Mudskipper	was talking about it, i think
Anette		no
abyss_x3	i believe so
MeaninglessEnd
Earl		hopefully
ronin		
Griff		yes
JMoran1097	???
lizmotobike	???
compnerd7	???
julesaussies	yes
C) Hunts in general
Ok, i would like to take a moment to say a few things about the hunts in general. First off, since i sort of suck at this whole managing a psuedo-email list there is a good chance i will goof up sending emails out and to everyone, especially the newest few ppl to send me their email addresses. i STRONGLY suggest you check up on the H&H thread on AB (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87763) to make sure i haven't done anything stupid and not gotten the latest word out to everyone.

The hikes have been going really well. Everyone has been awesome to meet and we have had a lot of fun. i would like to remind everyone to bring adequate water. all other "supplies" are secondary to water, in my opinion. During the last hunt we went on, to the Azusa area, the group noticed that other hunters had been there before us and done a really bad job at putting stuff back the way they found it. a lot of great microhabitats were effectively ruined because those other hunters were too lazy or ignorant to put the rocks and other structure they flipped back in place... and consequently we saw ONE big game bug and that was it! It could be coincidence.... but it should serve as strong reminder that we need to be very careful to at least have a neutral impact in our areas, if not actually improve them as bug hunting areas! Any rocks or structure you flip or move should be put back into as original the position as possible. This really does pay off as i have now caught bugs under the same pieces of structure twice a number of times and three times once at least!

D) local socal events
Warren (wburke17) sent me a PM that i think the group would be interested in
"hey theres a herp/bug show at the scotish rite at the end of this month.. maybe we could see if anybody wants to make a trip out of this and maybe meeting up w/ anybody down there and do a lil h & h'n..
just a thought
W"
this sounds awesome to me... except personally i doubt i will be able to make it. i don't mind arranging for group stuff if you folks are intertersted though. there is an awesome dude down that way named "GQ." on arachnoboards that could probably show you guys some sweet places and techniques.

E) Poeci. striata deal
I still have a number of peoples P. striata at my house. They are doing great but please don't forget to get them from pretty soon. And once again, Warren won the "dealers" raffle for the extra P. striata that everyone who participated in the deal was entered in. Boy... makes me want to participate in more group deals! heh =P

F) GOOD GRIEF!

this was a long message! i really think we should start some kind of yahoo group or miniforum or something. it is kind of hard for me to make sure i don't screw anything up in this highly manual format. i think i will start to look into options. i don't like forcing anyone into joining anything...

but i live in constant fear of messing something up and having people miss some kind of event that would have meant a lot to them to make.

oh! and group members who get the emails... this message is different from the email you got ON PURPOSE. the changes protect groups secrets and hopefully this highly mysterious message will encourage more people to join and find out just what i am talking about. hehehehe