Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do hope that once I get to Morongo Valley I can travel up I 10 to meet with you guys for these trips. That is, unless you mind a 52 yr old woman coming along. I'll be out there some time after April 16th and my husband flies back to Mississippi. Don't think he would be much into the hikes and flipping rocks like I am. I'll keep checking on her. I've got a nice Toyota Tacoma Truck with 4 wheel drive, and I think it will be able to handle off road conditions just fine.

Sharon

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do hope that once I get to Morongo Valley I can travel up I 10 to meet with you guys for these trips. That is, unless you mind a 52 yr old woman coming along. I'll be out there some time after April 16th and my husband flies back to Mississippi. Don't think he would be much into the hikes and flipping rocks like I am. I'll keep checking on her. I've got a nice Toyota Tacoma Truck with 4 wheel drive, and I think it will be able to handle off road conditions just fine.

Sharon
girls are yucky! no way!

i am teasing, of course. i will feel a little akward wearing my custom made bug hunting cod piece though

shoot me an email so i can add you to my fabulous list of locals. oh, and also give you my real house address. heh.
cacoseraph@yahoo.com

i'm there andrew! I'll see you this sunday.
sweet dude. looking forward to meeting you

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh yeah

if anyone ever wants to bring bugs for trade or to show to the other ppl that would be very cool. we can leave them at my house while we are hunting so that way we don't have to worry about them

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh boy! Girls and Grandmas will be accepted:D . I am so looking forward to this!!!! Thanks.

Sharon

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the next hunt is SUNDAY, APRIL 29th @ 9am @ MY HOUSE

be there or be square

email (preferred) or pm (deprecated) to get specific directions to my house, but to get to my street gmap or mapq or ymap
12201 Blue Spruce Drive
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739
So how did the hunt go? i just read this thread right now :wall: , or else i would have strongly considered comming up there for the day, but o well, maybe next time! :rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So how did the hunt go? i just read this thread right now :wall: , or else i would have strongly considered comming up there for the day, but o well, maybe next time! :rolleyes:

it was freakin awesome! i caught a species of scorpion that is new to me (i think).... and caught it by fishing it out of a horizontally oriented burrow on the side of the trail that resulted from the trail being cut into a hillside. all the YEARS of fishing for stuff in holes has finally paid off!

i think the next H&H should be on saturday. i'm thinking Saturday, May 19th

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it was freakin awesome! i caught a species of scorpion that is new to me (i think).... and caught it by fishing it out of a horizontally oriented burrow on the side of the trail that resulted from the trail being cut into a hillside. all the YEARS of fishing for stuff in holes has finally paid off!

i think the next H&H should be on saturday. i'm thinking Saturday, May 19th
AWSOME! what species was it that u caught?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
AWSOME! what species was it that u caught?
dunno

there is a tiny chance it was Anuroctonus phaiodactyls but something doesn't look quite right. to be honest, i typically just post pics and see what some of the scorpheads say. locals can be ugly to get to species.

it is a pretty thing, and probably getting close to 4" from "face" to end of stretched out tail... by far the largest scorp i have ever caught. it was in a burrow that was at least 12" long. the burrow could have been longer but i bumped into the scorp and then was so excited after i caught it that i didn't even think to depth check afterwards. the burrow enterance exhibitted the very prounced horizontal-long-axiz oval opening i am coming more and more to associate with scorpions. we found probably 4-7 burrow shaped holes total, but only the first hole i tried produced a scorp, or evidence there of.

oh yeah, hey nerd... is that avatar an orc, a la D&D etc?

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dunno

there is a tiny chance it was Anuroctonus phaiodactyls but something doesn't look quite right. to be honest, i typically just post pics and see what some of the scorpheads say. locals can be ugly to get to species.

it is a pretty thing, and probably getting close to 4" from "face" to end of stretched out tail... by far the largest scorp i have ever caught. it was in a burrow that was at least 12" long. the burrow could have been longer but i bumped into the scorp and then was so excited after i caught it that i didn't even think to depth check afterwards. the burrow enterance exhibitted the very prounced horizontal-long-axiz oval opening i am coming more and more to associate with scorpions. we found probably 4-7 burrow shaped holes total, but only the first hole i tried produced a scorp, or evidence there of.

oh yeah, hey nerd... is that avatar an orc, a la D&D etc?
cool! gets some pics when u can, i would love to see it.. my avatar is bowser from mario lol.. i think -_-

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is the hole he fished it out of

and heres a pic of the scorp.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awsome!!! that really got me excited about hunting around here! can't wailt! :D :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you know, DavidRS told me that there used to be a small group of people that he got together with that was called SCABS: Southern California Arachnid B-something Society (er, as you can tell, i can't quite remember what he said)

... so i was thinking... if they were SCABS then maybe this new group that is forming could be SCABIES:
Southern California Arachnid, Bug, Invertebrate, Entomological Society

it's descriptive and still gross. i am rather proud of my new twist on an old name

NEXT HUNT IS PROBABLY MAY 19th, 2007

oh yeah, i have a list of 11 or 12 people that are interested in SoCA local stuff... i bet we can find more!

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you know, DavidRS told me that there used to be a small group of people that he got together with that was called SCABS: Southern California Arachnid B-something Society (er, as you can tell, i can't quite remember what he said)

... so i was thinking... if they were SCABS then maybe this new group that is forming could be SCABIES:
Southern California Arachnid, Bug, Invertebrate, Entomological Society

it's descriptive and still gross. i am rather proud of my new twist on an old name

NEXT HUNT IS PROBABLY MAY 19th, 2007

oh yeah, i have a list of 11 or 12 people that are interested in SoCA local stuff... i bet we can find more!
Southern California Arachnid & Bug Society. That was my very own creation. It was mainly an excuse for some of us to get together and drink til we, (usually I) passed out.

BTW, the weekend of May 19th is also the Bug Show at the Natural History museum in Exposition park, AND the IRBA reptile show in Pomona.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice find cacoseraph. They are neat little scorpions and quite possibly my favorite genus. You will have a hard time NOT finding those burrows now that you have found one. Once you get an eye for finding them they are easy to spot. Below is a typical Anuroctonus pococki burrow. They also tend to have a small area of grainy dirt kicked out around the front of the burrow.

Drop me a note if you folks ever want to make a venture into San Diego county.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Southern California Arachnid & Bug Society. That was my very own creation. It was mainly an excuse for some of us to get together and drink til we, (usually I) passed out.

BTW, the weekend of May 19th is also the Bug Show at the Natural History museum in Exposition park, AND the IRBA reptile show in Pomona.

damn. good looking out man! so... the 19th is right out then!

the next planned MH&H is now Saturday, May 26th.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bug hunt

HEY CACO,
Could it be possible to change the date to the following Saturday? Perhaps the 26th????

I will be attending the insect show at the museum,working manning a table there.
please try to change it.
thanks
FT

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
doh! I will be gone on a fishing trip the 26th, for about a week :wall: o well >>> maybe next time (again lol)

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HEY CACO,
Could it be possible to change the date to the following Saturday? Perhaps the 26th????

I will be attending the insect show at the museum,working manning a table there.
please try to change it.
thanks
FT
Let me know who you are helping out. I'll come by for a "hi"

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, nice pics warren!

Andrew's scorp was freakin awesome. wish i coulda convinced him to trade it for one of my inverts....LOL

I was glad to be there on this monumental occasion.

And, andrew, I think that SCABIES is a better name. we should make it official.

why dont we have it even earlier? how about the saturday before??? that's much more mid month...... may 12th?????

just throwing it out there. plus, i need to replace one of the pedes that escaped in my room :mad:

what say you?