Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if david got two, which i think he did, then we caught 13 scorpions on Friday the 13th! that rocks!
That's way cool!! :cool:

i know you guys find scorps with blacklights on the night hikes. Did you see anything else? i guess what i'm asking is... will i probably have to wait for the weather to cool a bit to find a centipede on a day hike or are they ever found at night? i only have T's but think i want to get just one pede!

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's way cool!! :cool:

i know you guys find scorps with blacklights on the night hikes. Did you see anything else? i guess what i'm asking is... will i probably have to wait for the weather to cool a bit to find a centipede on a day hike or are they ever found at night? i only have T's but think i want to get just one pede!

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!
centipedes are VERY scarce right now, compared to non-summer times. any hope of flipping to find one would lie in getting out and starting hunting at dawn. by 10-11am all the usual hiding places we find them under are already too hot. pit trapping might be an option, but as GQ. has pointed out, it is very illegal to pit trap herps, and might be illegal to do inverts with, too.

i have some extra-ish local tiger centipedes (Scolopendra polymorpha) that you could pick from. they aren't that big cuz i keep breeding size for breeding projects... but they are fun to watch at any size :)

to actually answer your question, have we seen anythign else when black lighting... i have seen legless lizards (which freaking GLOW in black light! their yellow belly scales glow yellow!), millipedes, and one tiger centipede while black lighting

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!:evil:
Just kidding i wish i could have gone, next time for sure.
But im sure i'll find something good and interesting on my trip;P
i posted on the yahoo group about the regalis so everybody involved should check it out...W

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Andrew since we really can't find anything in these hot summer days why not a couple of night hunts I am willing to go hunting all night as long as it's a weekend.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats pretty much the way were leaning now, dusk/night hunting or early morning, either way it seems more productive if your looking for scorps, T's on the other hand would be late/very late afternoons.
W

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome job on the hunt all. I really got to get my schedule straight. Just started a consulting gig & it has been a bit busy.

By the way, belated Happy Anniversary Warren!

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats pretty much the way were leaning now, dusk/night hunting or early morning, either way it seems more productive if your looking for scorps, T's on the other hand would be late/very late afternoons.
W
Look at the avatar warren. What do you think I will be looking for?{D But seriously I like the idea of late night hunts.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look at the avatar warren. What do you think I will be looking for?{D But seriously I like the idea of late night hunts.

dude, Eddie......I sent you a PM on Saturday......

I've got your Parabuthus......

its still in a large vial.....and there's no way i would ever take it out. I'm waiting for you to pick it up so you can put it in a nice home.

call me! (818) 395-6684
so we can arrange a time for you to pick it up.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a lady at work said her husband is debugging the house in havasu. he will save all he finds. she also said her daughter lives up near ojai and has property there about an acre. there is a large tarantula population, and we are welcome to come and check it out. she says seasonally they all seem to be out making noise (?drumming ?)and dancing. i am jazzed.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a lady at work said her husband is debugging the house in havasu. he will save all he finds. she also said her daughter lives up near ojai and has property there about an acre. there is a large tarantula population, and we are welcome to come and check it out. she says seasonally they all seem to be out making noise (?drumming ?)and dancing. i am jazzed.

jazzed? I'm BAROQUED!!!!

LOL....sorry, stupid music joke.

sounds really exciting......Ojai is definitley prone to have trapdoors and scorps.....as are most coastal regions in the south of CA

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow!! That sounds like a lot of fun!!

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds great!

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DUDE u guys wiped em out on that last hunt... I am NOT missing the next night hunt I don't care what kind of snake i'm picking up... like was stated above, so do we have a date and place of the next hunt?

on a little side note, i just went to take the garbage out and was happly surprised by a 2 1/2 foot kingsnake, for some reson i always find these guys at night between 9:30pm and 11pm... anywho, here's a lil pic...

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
DUDE u guys wiped em out on that last hunt... I am NOT missing the next night hunt I don't care what kind of snake i'm picking up... like was stated above, so do we have a date and place of the next hunt?

on a little side note, i just went to take the garbage out and was happly surprised by a 2 1/2 foot kingsnake, for some reson i always find these guys at night between 9:30pm and 11pm... anywho, here's a lil pic...

i forgot to mention, that we DID find something other than scorpions....

David (twirl) chased down a black racer. That guy was fast....and real pissed off when Dave caught him! probably about 3-4 feet long.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they aren't rare, and these guys are tiny, but does anyone want some L. geometricus slings the next hike i can make? i have -lots-.
the mother is almost black, but you can see a nice brownish or silverish pattern if you look closely.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jazzed? I'm BAROQUED!!!!

LOL....sorry, stupid music joke.
-NBond1986

you will only be BAROQUED!!!! if you don't car pool as it is out by ojai and ventura. i have to talk to her and make sure its ok number wise as it is her mom i know from work and some people won't think that 15 people will show up to cruise spider grounds. who are all these...........?
scorps are cool but i really am more of a spider person. :drool: if she finds anything in havasu that is spiderlike its mine. all mine. anything else is up for grabs. and i really don't need too many of one type. i will take one or two if its a breeding pair other wise it is up for grabs also.
i like to stop at work and look at these huge webs. i'll look at those and check out whats in em as well. that is equally interesting.but i really am not much of a rip them out of there homes kind of person. so i need to check to make sure she does not mind collectors as well as viewers.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
JOIN SCABIES TODAY

and find out about an amazing group purchase of Brachypelma smithis that needs *your* help to happen!