Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well fine next week it is then. But I can't garantee any finds. Like I said i've never been bug hunting up there. I have seen a few cool looking beatles,some Solifugae, lizards, and some kind of mountain lion looking thing that can run down a steep hill no problem(that one just at night...few times actually). But I've never actaully looked for anything. What I can guarantee is a great view of L.A and the ilustrious Hollywood sign.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would love to go on the dusk/dawn hikes. But for me to go it'll have to be a weekend. Also I went up to the Hollywood sign for the forth of July and saw these two girls running down in my derection talking about a "BIG HAIRY SPIDRER". As most of you know (look at the avatar<-----) i'm not really into T's. So I don't know what to really look for in finding T's but I have notice a few wild animals up there. I go there all the time but never go bug hunting but maybe one of these days someone might want to go scouting with me. Someone that knows about T's. If you guys want I'll take some pic's of the area. I mean what is a socal group without going to Hollywood right? I don't mind wasting a bit of gas to pic up some people if your interested.

i once got lost in the Hollywood hills......found the Hollywood sign....hiked up to it.....and pissed on it.

good story, eh?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah but not true. They have all access to the actual sign closed. Good story tough.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
besides being illegal you would have to have to cross the sattelite stations surrounding it if your coming from the "wood" side and the holly side has a park ranger station with fence surrounding the "Holly" side.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
besides being illegal you would have to have to cross the sattelite stations surrounding it if your coming from the "wood" side and the holly side has a park ranger station with fence surrounding the "Holly" side.
yeah, I unfortunately found that out.

but my sister was lucky.
either that, or the ranger didnt mind a bunch of pretty girls in skirts hiking by the sign.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about for our night hunt we go out towards Dave's "twirls" and have him show us his areas? if hes up to it......

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about for our night hunt we go out towards Dave's "twirls" and have him show us his areas? if hes up to it......

sounds like a plan!!!

ive got a blacklight LED flashlight and headlight coming in the mail from ebay this week!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm down for whatever. i will email twirl and see what's up. and if he wants to hunt that night we should let Gilbert know, since that is a cool 30 minutes, at least, closer then we normally are.

edit1:
if we are going to drive to twirl's area we might want to try to meet at my house by like 6:30 at the latest as we would definitely cut into valuable crepuscular time (if you want to see snakes, my understanding is this time is critcal to hit) if we pussyfoot at my house too much

edit2:
maybe if more than one want to go the SD ppl could carpool or something, possibly

Last edited:

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like fun as usual. I'll let you guys know if I can make it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, i suspect i am going to do some hunting tonight (friday night).... send me an email or call me at my house after ~4:30 to find out for sure

edit(11:34amPDT):
i was thinking... even if we don't have twirl with us for the 13th we can still hit up temecula. people could meet at my house and i can drive down. there are so many undeveloped areas on the edges of the hillmountains that we should be able to stumble onto *something* neat

Last edited:

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would not sugest temecula, i have lived there basicly my entire life and i'm pretty sure that there is nothing living left there anymore, unless u go more tward rainbow valley or winchester.. on the other hand, right by my house there is a mile square nature preserve by a river, i have caught many snakes (pacific rattlesnake, gopher snakes, california kings, red racers ect) there and seen 100's of T's although im not sure if it is exactly legal to to take stuff from there... the only problem with that place is the only way to get to the good spots is by quads or motorcycles, unless ur up for a pretty hardcore hike.

ok ANYWAYS, back on subject, no matter where u go or what day over the weekend, i'm still down... if it's more conveniet to change it to sat or sun i'm extremely flexable, just as long as i can have a decint notice.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would not sugest temecula, i have lived there basicly my entire life and i'm pretty sure that there is nothing living left there anymore, unless u go more tward rainbow valley or winchester.. on the other hand, right by my house there is a mile square nature preserve by a river, i have caught many snakes (pacific rattlesnake, gopher snakes, california kings, red racers ect) there and seen 100's of T's although im not sure if it is exactly legal to to take stuff from there... the only problem with that place is the only way to get to the good spots is by quads or motorcycles, unless ur up for a pretty hardcore hike.

ok ANYWAYS, back on subject, no matter where u go or what day over the weekend, i'm still down... if it's more conveniet to change it to sat or sun i'm extremely flexable, just as long as i can have a decint notice.
twirl and kill can find scorpions while driving in his car, in either temecula or lake elsinore. heh.

out of curiousity, where are you located and what is that square mile thing called? i can pretty easily figure out if it is legal to lift or not, i think. sounds muy muy interesting. damn, i need to watch less star wars.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Damn it andrew can't we have the night hunts a little later. I'm free tommorow but if your planning tonight I have my BL with me I'm just at work. But Thiscordia and Warren let me know if yoju guys want to do the Hollywood sign next week. And Neshan this might be a chance for you to really goup and pee on the "O"

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
twirl and kill can find scorpions while driving in his car, in either temecula or lake elsinore. heh.
ok sweet, where ever this spot is, if there is still stuff there, i'd love to see it cause lake elsinore is 10min from my house!!!

the preserve is called Kabian park, here's the only info i could find on it

http://www.riversidecountyparks.org/park-directory/all-parks/kabian/

its literally a stone throw from my house, i used to ride quads in there all the time before they cracked down on it and i got caught one to many times.. but then again i still ride in there cause i know a back entrance, basicly I know the entire place like the back of my hand.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hollywood hills could be fun. the only bugs local people :eek: see usually are from huffing or withdrawl. :} . i grew up in hollywood. nothing like walking out to your car in the A.M. and finding someone is sleeping behind it in the bushes and there is a syringe stuck in your tennis shoe.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol nah i dont think it's that ghetto. But i have already pointed out what I've seen thats all I can promise and nothing more. Until Warren helps me scout for T's.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i know there are T's up there. i grew up in the area and my mom says there was a tarantula near the front yard that i wanted to know why i could not have as a pet when i was 3. or so i was told.

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol nah i dont think it's that ghetto. But i have already pointed out what I've seen thats all I can promise and nothing more. Until Warren helps me scout for T's.

dude.....ill totally go with you eddie.

i live closest to the hollywood hills, like a 15 min drive for me.