Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
SCABIES was here and I'm still itching. Great photos NBond. Here are a few photos I snapped of the occasion. It was great to meet everyone. I'm looking forward to hitting up the LA region one of these days.

Furcifer pardalis - Panther chameleon (I think this was at the Kammerflage Kreations table)

An impressive Green Huntsman.

NBond and Cacoseraph packing their show purchases.

Some bugged out shorts

So a shepherd and a monk are poking around this trapdoor...
David and Andrew.

Griffin wishing he would have had a V8.

Griffin's spotted the burrow for this little Aphonopelma sp. These are some of the fattest T's I've found in spite of the bone dry conditions. I know that there was a boom in tenebrionid beetles a couple months back. That may have had a lot to do with it.

Cacoseraph giving some energy back to nature. He spotted this tree oozing sap and decided to give it a taste. I forgot to ask what it tasted like.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cacoseraph giving some energy back to nature. He spotted this tree oozing sap and decided to give it a taste. I forgot to ask what it tasted like.
after seeing the traps and taras everything tasted like happiness.

thank you so much Gilbert! we're looking forward to having you up here. also, i'm thinking there is so much awesome terrain between San Diego and Los Angeles that there are places in the middle we could meet at to go hunting. we could virtual scout out places using google earth

oh yeah, i think i found an abandoned folding door spider burrow by my dad's house on sunday... i saved the bits so we can look at them and take pics at the next SCABIES meeting

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice pics gilbert!!!!!

i really like the shot of Griffin's T.....came out really nice.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks likke you guys had fun. Seemed like a very productive trip.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow looks like i missed a good trip! color me green!!!!! oh well. live and learn. but good news. the lady at work nicely took 15 deli cups and will collect bugs from her house in havasu and bring them to me. i showed her arachnoboards and all and we may have a convert. she seems to like the B. smithis that i have. first she said ewww gross then it was letme see. last year she and her husband caught a t and released it. next ones in the house she said she will bring in. scorps will be up for grabs as i prefer spiders.;P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
would anyone be interested in doing a little dusk and night hunting, tonight (Tues, July 3, 2007)?

i am thinking i am going to hike up through the stony fields to the canyon above my house tonight and try some blacklighting. i might end up doing nothing, though. if i can time it right i am going to leave my house around 6-6:30 and look for trapdoors in the stony field on the way up while it is still dusky. i expect i will see a rattle snake or two. my cam is still busted so i can't take pics, though :(

edit:

oh yeah, if anyone is intersted either email me (i can check it up to 3:30pm) or call me at home (i will be home around 4:30 and have to bounce over to the petstore real quick) cuz my computer is broken so i can't reliably check email at home

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
crap I can't send email here at this computer. I would go but I don't get out of work 'till 9. I even have my blacklight in my car.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guess whos back

Hey all I'm back! Unfortunately, my trip was not very successful :wall: :mad: :8o We stopped in the only places of Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico where there WEREN'T good places to hunt, and Oklahoma was raining the whole time (although i did manage to catch 1 scorp in the rain :D ) but still had a blast! looks like u guys didn't do to bad while i was gone though!!! I got to thinking that maybe it would be cool to take a SCABIES trip to AZ maybe for a weekend sort of hunt; like a Camp and Hunt? just a thought... Anyways, here are some pics of my good finds, enjoy!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
crap I can't send email here at this computer. I would go but I don't get out of work 'till 9. I even have my blacklight in my car.
i didn't end up going

Hey all I'm back! Unfortunately, my trip was not very successful :wall: :mad: :8o We stopped in the only places of Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico where there WEREN'T good places to hunt, and Oklahoma was raining the whole time (although i did manage to catch 1 scorp in the rain :D ) but still had a blast! looks like u guys didn't do to bad while i was gone though!!! I got to thinking that maybe it would be cool to take a SCABIES trip to AZ maybe for a weekend sort of hunt; like a Camp and Hunt? just a thought... Anyways, here are some pics of my good finds, enjoy!
nice dude!

@ALL
there are no hikes scheduled for July.

*i* want to go but everytime i have asked when would be good there was no suggestions. it is really too hot to do day hunts, so i would like to start doing dusk and night hunts (that could be our summer schedule).

what about a hunt on FRIDAY THE 13TH!!?? you have to go!!! a night hunt on friday the thirteenth? how awesome is that!? we could start meeting up at my house at 5:30pm and then head up to the stony fields and canyons above my house by 6:30-7pm (or when everyone who "signed up" gets to my house)

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*i* want to go but everytime i have asked when would be good there was no suggestions. it is really too hot to do day hunts, so i would like to start doing dusk and night hunts (that could be our summer schedule).

what about a hunt on FRIDAY THE 13TH!!?? you have to go!!! a night hunt on friday the thirteenth? how awesome is that!? we could start meeting up at my house at 5:30pm and then head up to the stony fields and canyons above my house by 6:30-7pm (or when everyone who "signed up" gets to my house)[/b]
As soon as i get my lights i'm all for it

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As soon as i get my lights i'm all for it
verycool :)

and compnerd says it looks like he will be able to come to!

Happy July 5th, 2007 Newletterette

A) San Diego Adventure
B) Summer Schedule
C) Next Hike
D) Upcoming Events

A) San Diego Adventure
The trip was AWESOME. we learned how to find
California trapdoor spiders (B. californicum) and saw
Aphonopelma sp. tarantula burrows. Thanks again to
GQ.

B) Summer Schedule
It is just plain too hot to be bug hunting during the
day... the likelihood of flip finding things is
virtually nill, while the likelihood of dropping from
heat exhaustion is decidedly higher =P So i think we
are going to go to summer schedule hunting now. This
is basically hitting crepusculuar times (dawn and
dusk) and night times. Dusk should be good for
herping, also.

C) Next Hike
there are no hikes scheduled for July.

*i* want to go but everytime i have asked when would
be good there was no suggestions. it is really too hot
to do day hunts, so i would like to start doing dusk
and night hunts (that could be our summer schedule).

what about a hunt on FRIDAY THE 13TH!!?? you have to
go!!! a night hunt on friday the thirteenth? how
awesome is that!? we could start meeting up at my
house at 5:30pm and then head up to the stony fields
and canyons above my house by 6:30-7pm (or when
everyone who "signed up" gets to my house)

D) Upcoming Events

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=97283
the Quail Botanical Gardens in Encinitas. Basically
an hour and change from LA. It is July 14-15.
After that, we have Anaheim Sept 8-9 at the
convention center. ( a must go)
IRBA Del Mar Fairgrounds Oct 6-7 (more San Diego bug
hunting)
October late in the month Cal Poly Pomona Insect Fair
(date not announced)
IRBA Pomona Fairgrounds Dec.8-9

thanks for gathering these up, Warren

and of course, this is the public consumption version. join SCABIES for the full version

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its a tad short notice for me.

dont think i can tomorrow night.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that it's a WEEK from tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know...but for now it's a tentative "yes"

Last edited:

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check your calendar it's a week away;)7/13/07
damn!!! thanks for pointing that out {D

i was so sure it was tomorrow. my brain must be fried from fireworks fumes.

okay.....then for now im a tentative "yes"

but ill let you all know for sure.

thanks warren!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
its a tad short notice for me.

dont think i can tomorrow night.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that it's a WEEK from tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know...but for now it's a tentative "yes"
Check your calendar it's a week away;)7/13/07

so i guess it is a good thing warren is in charge of scheduling and neshan is in charge of social stuff and PR? it's all about having a good cabinet :D

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would love to go on the dusk/dawn hikes. But for me to go it'll have to be a weekend. Also I went up to the Hollywood sign for the forth of July and saw these two girls running down in my derection talking about a "BIG HAIRY SPIDRER". As most of you know (look at the avatar<-----) i'm not really into T's. So I don't know what to really look for in finding T's but I have notice a few wild animals up there. I go there all the time but never go bug hunting but maybe one of these days someone might want to go scouting with me. Someone that knows about T's. If you guys want I'll take some pic's of the area. I mean what is a socal group without going to Hollywood right? I don't mind wasting a bit of gas to pic up some people if your interested.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would love to go on the dusk/dawn hikes. But for me to go it'll have to be a weekend. Also I went up to the Hollywood sign for the forth of July and saw these two girls running down in my derection talking about a "BIG HAIRY SPIDRER". As most of you know (look at the avatar<-----) i'm not really into T's. So I don't know what to really look for in finding T's but I have notice a few wild animals up there. I go there all the time but never go bug hunting but maybe one of these days someone might want to go scouting with me. Someone that knows about T's. If you guys want I'll take some pic's of the area. I mean what is a socal group without going to Hollywood right? I don't mind wasting a bit of gas to pic up some people if your interested.
That sounds like a plan;) this weekend is full for me but maybe next weekend

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:( this weekend is free for me and next weekend I can only do sunday. Is that good? Well if everything goes as planned I should be busy next saturday ;)