Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So..... what do we all think about the probability of gravidity?:confused:
i still haven't seen pics

you might try shining a powerful flashlight on the pleural membrane ("sidewall") of the scorp to see if you can see nymphs in there. just do it for a second though, as it is probably somewhat stressful to the scorpion and it is already going to be kind of ticklish to get viables, if it is grav

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
i still haven't seen pics

you might try shining a powerful flashlight on the pleural membrane ("sidewall") of the scorp to see if you can see nymphs in there. just do it for a second though, as it is probably somewhat stressful to the scorpion and it is already going to be kind of ticklish to get viables, if it is grav
Eh, tried that, she hated it... I didn't see a thing!! :(

I will just love her as she is, and if she happens to pop, then I'll be doubly happy!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Eh, tried that, she hated it... I didn't see a thing!! :(

I will just love her as she is, and if she happens to pop, then I'll be doubly happy!
about 20 times as happy, iirc

heh. teasing.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
BOND! I really am sorry! I would eat a bug myself to have a day that EVERYONE could attend. I want to meet ALL of you! I owe you a s'ling from one of my billion breeding projects! There, feel better? No more ??

This is where the hunt will be:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&a...026049,0.052786&z=15&om=1

Where Reche Vista meets Reche Canyon, we'll be going right. It's pretty much a desert type environment, but if we go further down the road, there are foresty type areas. Unfortunately, close to the road there is tons of trash, however, these have often become lovely hides for local critters. WARNING: We are expecting very hot weather. That's why I've planned to get out there by around 6pm, then we can wander around and enjoy some night hunting too.

I'm planning on b-b-qing piernas de pollo preparado sin hueso. In other words, chicken, no bones, marinated! So, what I'll need from you guys is a definite yes or no and how many are coming. Also, some side dishes would be great.

Go ahead and bring any bugs you would like to sell, trade, give away, etc. They can be left at my home. I'm only about 15 minutes from the hunt site.

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Better late then NEVER

These are from our first BBQ on Aug.11 2007.
Okay I finally got all my comp. problems fixed(knocking on wood)
First off i'm terrible w/ names (liz can contest to that :embarrassed: ) so if I miss one or get it wrong let me know and I'll fix it.So here goes;
First off heres the table and counter that we were using to display our goods.

And heres are cook, Thanks again for standing in that sun and cookin up some delicous foods :D

And heres a pic of everybody enjoying it.

Next up we have Steven(buthus) do a show and tell on his impressive widow collection.

Heres when we started the raffle(and when i'll start screwin up names)
Johnny's girl friend;

Eddie(abyss);(watch that middle finger there Buddy :D )

luis's son I think?

Luis;

Eddies friend;

Paul(ronin);

Joe;

Monique(my wife);

Devhyn(my daughter);

Joes son?

Our host, Johnny;

Johnny's daughter;

Eddies lil brother;

David(davidrs);

theres more that i missed, sorry if i didnt get you :(

After the Raffle there was a breeding attempt w/ jules and Fransico's E.murinus. Didn't have my camera for this.( i think I was eating again)

then we had Andrew try to handle some of his Pokies. His female didnt want anything to to w/ this so he moved onto the male;

at his point it was getting a little X-Rated(I seen the male try an insertion)

So after that the tatasteron?sp. or the alcohol was kickin in so he moved on to the T.blondi's

Now Steven wanted some of the action;

Trying to sex it!

Then after all the man-handling it went straight to the nearest refreshment it could find!

Well thats about it, I didnt get a group shot(Neshans Job) and i forgot to take my camera on the lil hike we did.....W

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Just a reminder, bug-b-q at my place Sunday, 4:00pm!! Be there or be square!!

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey mizm, i am so sorry i could not make this last one. my dog was sick and has passed. i really was looking fwd to meeting you. i remember your posts at spidertalk. good info. doesn't anyone have pics? how did it go? i guess it must of been fun as everyone seems to be recovering quietly.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
hey mizm, i am so sorry i could not make this last one. my dog was sick and has passed. i really was looking fwd to meeting you. i remember your posts at spidertalk. good info. doesn't anyone have pics? how did it go? i guess it must of been fun as everyone seems to be recovering quietly.
Oh CRAP. I'm so sorry!:(

We are all so quiet because it really wasn't worth talking about. I made chicken, and no one brought side orders, so we had to get some crappy potato salad and rolls. But the chicken was really good!!

Then, we hiked for quite a while, and didn't find a THING except the skeletons of coyote kills. (Gee MizM, in all of Southern California, you couldn't find a place with ONE bug?:8o ) THAT was pretty embarrassing!

We DID have a convert tho, I invited a guy from my work who I had only met through e-mails. He brought his girlfriend, and ordered about 6 slings the next day!!

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow! a convert is well worth it. coyote kill is good too.... unless you recognize the dinner. sometimes that draws other bugs.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh CRAP. I'm so sorry!:(

We are all so quiet because it really wasn't worth talking about. I made chicken, and no one brought side orders, so we had to get some crappy potato salad and rolls. But the chicken was really good!!

Then, we hiked for quite a while, and didn't find a THING except the skeletons of coyote kills. (Gee MizM, in all of Southern California, you couldn't find a place with ONE bug?:8o ) THAT was pretty embarrassing!

We DID have a convert tho, I invited a guy from my work who I had only met through e-mails. He brought his girlfriend, and ordered about 6 slings the next day!!

i wish i could have made it. i haven't been hiking in weeks. i think i more often than not, don't find anything. i just go back to places i know have a big-game bug or two. and this is an AWFUL time for bugging... in a month or two when it has really cooled down and we have gotten a little more moisture it will be much better.

woohoo on the convert!

and i agree, coyote kills are interesting to look at. and juicy ones have interesting bugs in them sometimes.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Actually, the coyote kills were so old that the bones were bleached white. There was a bit of red fur and mummified tissue on one. We've have searing over 100F days, so they probably really weren't THAT old.

Well, encouraging news, the local male Ts are beginning to wander.:D

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it wasn't that bad we found some widows and comunal spiders. And a scorpion. YEAH!!! i didn't get any chicken :(. I brought chips and dip but since i got there so late i just left them in the car.SORRY

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for hosting this MizM. That day was bad for me but I hope to meet you at a future gathering.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
it wasn't that bad we found some widows and comunal spiders. And a scorpion. YEAH!!! i didn't get any chicken :(. I brought chips and dip but since i got there so late i just left them in the car.SORRY
DUDE! We could have had the chips and dip up in the hills!{D

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm also curious about this group, i want to join you guys if its possible. I'm from West Covina and i love to hike.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm also curious about this group, i want to join you guys if its possible. I'm from West Covina and i love to hike.
you don't have to join anything to hike or come to the BBQ (though it is like a potluck, so everybody brings food and joining so that you can post your RSVP on the scabies site is probably the best way to make sure we see it)

we are always happy to have more members. there are various benefits to joining and keeping up with the scabies forum ("the itch")

we have a "Deal Me In" section that we coordinate and make group purchases on. when we buy in bulk we get some VERY good deals and everybody saves on shipping and what not. a scabies "officer" has to meet you in real life and give you the thumbs up to join this section.

we also have a "Locale Colour" section that has detailed directions and descriptions of local places to solo and/or group hunt. we also keep a Biota Crossreference... basically every interesting animal or plant we have found in our adventures that have been added to the LC forum is added to the cross reference. So... if you wanted to see where you could find say, Scolopendra polymorpha, "USA SW tiger centipedes", you can find that scabies currently has something like 5-6 locations on file where we have found them. we try to track colorforms, too :)

... i think i am goign to move the Biota Crossrefernce "BXref" to a publically viewable forum but keep the actual locations in the restricted section as a bit of a teaser. plus i think the BXref looks cool hehehe

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew you forgot to add all the interesting people he will meet.:D

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I forgot to ask where the meeting place is and can someone pls post the address. also i want to know if anyone likes magic brownies ;)