Monthly Southern California Hike and Hunt

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm, if you guys spend the night we might want to consider cruising up to Day Canyon at night and blacklighting the cliff walls... :D
this all sounds really awesome.

however, there's a chance that i might have to miss the beginnings of Saturday (or possibly all of Saturday :( ) because my dad's b-day was on wednesday, and we might be having some sort of a celebratory thing tomorrow. dont know yet.

I'll let you know. im fairly certain that we will at least be able to join you guys later in the day......

but theres always the possibility that this whole message be voided, and i can be there all day afterall :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
this all sounds really awesome.

however, there's a chance that i might have to miss the beginnings of Saturday (or possibly all of Saturday :( ) because my dad's b-day was on wednesday, and we might be having some sort of a celebratory thing tomorrow. dont know yet.

I'll let you know. im fairly certain that we will at least be able to join you guys later in the day......

but theres always the possibility that this whole message be voided, and i can be there all day afterall :)
we will figure something out. you know where my house is and i can tell my room mates to let you in my room if you show up when we are bug hunting earlier on saturday or something. for being as big and fat as i am, i am surprisingly flexible

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OKAY!!!!???? But we still hve sunday right? I'll be there sunday morning.

Griffin

Arachnopeon
Wow, ive missed a lot. Been pretty sick all day. Im iffy about saturday morning, but night and sunday morning sound good to me. Does anyone want any of those free tanks that i have? If so i need to know, because ill have to take a different car for the bigger tanks. Also, Abyss how much for the A. Avic?

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and my room is currently being taken over by ants. i hate those so-and-so's... so if we try to retreat into there the six legged jerks will have their way with us. i am trying to work a poison solution that is not too dangerous for my other bugs and most especially my cat, though.
use powdered bleach like Ajax or Comet and find where the are coming in at and sprinkle it all around it and that usually works, or you can borrow my Anteater if you want;) JK

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ants UGH!

Try this on the ants, it not only drives them away, it kills the colony as they take the bait back to the nest. It is not too toxic, and it would take a lot of boric acid to hurt a cat and I've never found one to be interested in eating the stuff anyway. You can also put this in cabinets and closets where your cat is unlikely to be.

for Argentine ants (or other sugar eaters)
2 Tsp Boric Acid

1/4 Cup Hot Water

1 Cup Corn Syrup (light or dark) you can substitute simple syrup if you don't have corn syrup.

Dissolve boric acid in hot water. Stir into corn syrup. Place in bottle caps, jar lids, etc... (with a cotton ball if you want to kill the colony-the ants will take the cotton fibers back to the nest to feed the young but replace them frequently or they will mold). Place where ants are noticed. Add a few drops of water daily to keep them moist.

Mix ingredients thoroughly, mark them POISON, and store them out of reach of children.

A good method of putting out the bait is on masking tape. Simply stick a small piece of masking tape where ants are noticed and spread some of the bait on the tape. Change the tape every two or three days.
Another application method is to fill a plastic ketchup bottle with the bait, label the bottle POISON, and then as needed, cut a drinking straw into 2-inch pieces, fill with bait and place near ant trails.

Grease ants (or other fat/protein eaters)

1 Tbsp Peanut Butter

1Tsp Brown Sugar

1/2 Tsp Boric Acid

Mix all of the ingredients together and use the straws listed above.

* Boric acid powder can be purchased at any drugstore or in retail centers specifically labeled for ants or cockroaches.

Good luck,
---Jen

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Andrew, everyone:

Turns out that I can't make it tomorrow. I will only make it on Sunday with Earl.

My allergies in the following 2-3 days after a hike are so horrendously terrible, that it's about 3 times worse than the worst flu I have ever had.

This happenes EVERY TIME after a hike/hunt.

I've used Claratin, Alavert, you name it....nothing works for the hikes. I think the only solution is a bandana and face mask....which I will test on Sunday. The old fashioned way.

So, I am forced to say that I will only come on Sunday.

Anyway, just letting you know.

I feel awful about missing Saturday, but then I remember......Sunday was the original plan anyway :D :D :D

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think you should be the SCABIES Social Leftenant, Neshan.

Warren can be the Minister of Schedules.

i will most humbly be Scabies General Operations Director
What about the Bug-B-Que? Can I be Head of Culinary Operations?

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm backing Warren's motion on this. Just don't nominate me to be the clean-up guy, I mean the "Director of Environmental Beautification". :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
heh, i should have read this thread sooner. i actually just winged it and made something that was like

~1-1.5c steaming hot water
1c boric acid
1c flour
~.75-1c sugar
~2-3tbsp strawberry jelly
1-2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt

mix all together to get something doughy and hard to stir. hope it dries into a semihard to hard brick.

i call it "the playdough of death, dunh dunh duunh"

my problem is that i have two cats. one is insanely curious and the other insanely smart and they have learned to join up to problem solve... so i am shooting for bricks of semihard POD double contained in nested tupperware with argentine ant size holes bored in them... both packaging taped shut. i am gonig to wedge those things in my bug racks on the storage level. i am hoping the playdough effect combined with wedging tupperware into the racks will make it impossible for the dynamic duo from getting the poison. i warded behind/under my bug racks with powdered boric acid, but i can't do it anywhere the kitties can get to. dang conflicting pets =P

well, i will be here saturday and if anybody shows up in the morning we can do some hiking but it seems like the bulk will be sunday and a few ppl at sat night. i really want to set the pit traps saturday night! i got stuff to make like 10-15. if we want to do more that might be cool... but we need to be able to recover all of them on sunday morning. i am going to take pics of the ones i personally set :) maybe take notes too

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm backing Warren's motion on this. Just don't nominate me to be the clean-up guy, I mean the "Director of Environmental Beautification". - ronin

at dog shows they call that position "sanatary engineer"

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh, i should have read this thread sooner. i actually just winged it and made something that was like

~1-1.5c steaming hot water
1c boric acid
1c flour
~.75-1c sugar
~2-3tbsp strawberry jelly
1-2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt

mix all together to get something doughy and hard to stir. hope it dries into a semihard to hard brick.
At first, I thought you had a recipe for the Bug-B-Que.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At first, I thought you had a recipe for the Bug-B-Que.
ha, no. i can follow directions to make just about anything but i can't really cook with like, inspiration. i leave that stuff up to our Head of Culinary Operations

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, ive missed a lot. Been pretty sick all day. Im iffy about saturday morning, but night and sunday morning sound good to me. Does anyone want any of those free tanks that i have? If so i need to know, because ill have to take a different car for the bigger tanks. Also, Abyss how much for the A. Avic?
Well i can't go tonight...well I could I'm just really really tired. I'll try to make it but for sure 2morrow. Honestly I'll trade for almost anything else if you want. If you have nothing to trade you can have it just get me back with something cool at another hike.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm backing Warren's motion on this. Just don't nominate me to be the clean-up guy, I mean the "Director of Environmental Beautification". :)
funny you should mention it

i was thinking it might be kind of cool if we started carrying a plastic grocery bag or two and bringing some trash out of the pretty areas we visit. you could tie them to the horizontal shoulder bar on my backpack when they are full, even.

obviously the wastelands are not the kind of place we would do this to...

idk... it would make for good press if nothing else... but the like, environmentalist hippy in me thinks it would be kind of cool

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try this on the ants[...]---Jen
i am going to have to try these next.

the playdough of death is not efficacious enough.

i like the tape idea, btw.

the ants killed my chinese redhead centipede eggs and i got mad and smeared the death paste i made all around a shelf of the racks that the cent cage was on. i see how i could have laid tape down *then* put the paste on the tape, for relatively easy and complete clean up later. will do it from now on, for sure!

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
funny you should mention it

i was thinking it might be kind of cool if we started carrying a plastic grocery bag or two and bringing some trash out of the pretty areas we visit. you could tie them to the horizontal shoulder bar on my backpack when they are full, even.

obviously the wastelands are not the kind of place we would do this to...

idk... it would make for good press if nothing else... but the like, environmentalist hippy in me thinks it would be kind of cool
Sounds like a plan caco.