Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Okay, first off, let me tell everyone, the point I made, about carapace markings and sexing is for ornata. While it works with some other species, each have little tweeks or differences. Some are impossible, ornata seems to be the eaiest.

Massmorels... you're bringing in differents species here. rufilata I'm gonna have to dig up a bit, but from what I remember, you cannot call it one way or the other.

And the miranda, no way.

-Sean

Last edited:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I give up, i'll just look at molts. Someone should make a sticky about sexing pokies via carapace.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is why I tried to bring it back to the Ornata issue. It can get pretty muddied when dealing with the whole Genus. :rolleyes: Gustav we have not forgotten about you brother!! {D Feel free to jump in at any point. :eek: JK

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Really? wrong city for you. Bring your operation out here!! :)
thats where the operation started buddy.. 6 long years I wasted in that $#% city! Summerlin was nice and all, but god do I hate that city.

I only brought in the other sp. because that kid said he could sex pokies at 1.5".. sorry to wonder off the ornata path. Ive had my fun, ill back out of this now.

pS.. female.. regalis?

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats where the operation started buddy.. 6 long years I wasted in that $#% city! Summerlin was nice and all, but god do I hate that city.

I only brought in the other sp. because that kid said he could sex pokies at 1.5".. sorry to wonder off the ornata path. Ive had my fun, ill back out of this now.

pS.. female.. regalis?
Sorry to hear about you negative experiences here. Seems o.k to me :? I am quite happy but I do live in the Southen Hills in Henderson.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member

pS.. female.. regalis?
YouLosePayUp isn't a kid.;) And he didn't say he could sex pokies at 1.5". He said he had one P. ornata that is 1.5" that he could tell was female due to its colouration without looking at a moult. He didn't say he could sex all pokies in this way.

If you've been reading this thread then you will know that the males and females of this species are very distinctly marked, making it quite easy to tell the sexes apart. As ShadowBlade rightly pointed out, you cannot differentiate between the sexes with all the pokie species as you can with P. ornata. It is much more difficult with the others, and most of the time you have to wait until they are much larger to be able to see any differences such as the whitening of the abdominal folio. That trick does not work on slings or juveniles, nor does it work on all of the pokies. But as this thread is a discussion on P. ornata, I agree that the spider Gustav posted is indeed female.:)

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
YouLosePayUp isn't a kid.;) And he didn't say he could sex pokies at 1.5". He said he had one P. ornata that is 1.5" that he could tell was female due to its colouration without looking at a moult. He didn't say he could sex all pokies in this way.

If you've been reading this thread then you will know that the males and females of this species are very distinctly marked, making it quite easy to tell the sexes apart. As ShadowBlade rightly pointed out, you cannot differentiate between the sexes with all the pokie species as you can with P. ornata. It is much more difficult with the others, and most of the time you have to wait until they are much larger to be able to see any differences such as the whitening of the abdominal folio. That trick does not work on slings or juveniles, nor does it work on all of the pokies. But as this thread is a discussion on P. ornata, I agree that the spider Gustav posted is indeed female.:)
Thanks Laura :) . I was kind of too busy working to reply before now lol. Yes I stated I have a 1.5" P. ornata that I will gaurantee is female. My other P. ornata was also sexed very small. I have P. miranda, P. tigrinawesseli, P. pederseni, and P. regalis that I did not mention anything about the sex of them due to the fact that I'm unsure, and haven't had the time to read up on them. Throw this in the mix of confusion My P. miranda looks female ventrally {D

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The question you ask first is where the spider came from THEN you move to the gender issue. This will help you get it right with your eyes closed. :eek: ;)

davros

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ANSWER MY ? Please, why do you say that is a male and the pic of the 3in one you posted is female? coloring seems the same. I say liar you posted you have 1000 of Pokies well by counting what you have on your my inverts is just over a hundered. Now yes I may be jumping the gun calling you a liar so I apologize.

I know David well, he does not lie, and he owns more, and has bred more Poecs than anyone on this thread. He is also very good at sexing Poecs - and I own Poecs that he has sexed for me from a very small size. With his success rate at breeding Poecs - he will easily own over 1000 Poecs at any one time.

Mal.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know David well, he does not lie, and he owns more, and has bred more Poecs than anyone on this thread. He is also very good at sexing Poecs - and I own Poecs that he has sexed for me from a very small size. With his success rate at breeding Poecs - he will easily own over 1000 Poecs at any one time.

Mal.
Let me assure you his character and abilities are not in question. A apology has already been previously supplied. :)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Here's another P. ornata to have a guess on, spider is 4".