Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you cannot sex a 1.5" pokie.. if you think you can, Ive got a BUNCH of pics that are gonna start rolling in for you to sex. you will change the hobby forever..:rolleyes:

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you cannot sex a 1.5" pokie.. if you think you can, Ive got a BUNCH of pics that are gonna start rolling in for you to sex. you will change the hobby forever..:rolleyes:
start posting you should post like ten pic's and have everyone who wants a go to give what they yhink they are. Then in a few months when you have sexed them we see who came closest.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol.. good call. :clap:

to start it off.. here is a 3" P. rufilata unsexed. Twice the size of what you say you are able to sex. I already know what sex most will say it is.. and at this size, no way to know without a molt.

Last edited:

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay.. heres one!
1.5" P. miranda.. you say you can sex at that size :)liar:) , is this male or female?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What the heck why not.
I am going to say female Rufilata, male Miranda.
I have confirmed sexes of both so that's what I am going off of, how mine look and how those look. Might be wrong but guessing is fun.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the carapace issue is a determining factor in the accurate prediction of gender in slings it appears the Rufilata should be female. The Miranda could be male but I think those who have populations for comparison are far more likely to get it right. Do you know the gender of either one? :)

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you know the gender of either one? :)
nope, both are unsexed.. the miranda is only 1.5"!! impossible to sex.. I dont even know if a molt can be sexed with a microscope at that size. :?
heres another pic of the same sling..

heres the other miranda i have thats 1.5".. any guesses on this one?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nope, both are unsexed.. the miranda is only 1.5"!! impossible to sex.. I dont even know if a molt can be sexed with a microscope at that size. :?
Can you get a ventral of the Miranda? I am just curious. The first one you posted not the second one. Actually both lol.

EDIT: and my guess for the new pics is still male for the top one............ and the second one need to be retaken, it might be the flash glare that's messing with my head on that one.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol.. you have 1.5" pokie slings.. you know that getting them to sit still long enough just to get a pic is a task in itself. let alone trying to get it to hold still for a ventrical. wouldnt see much anyways... its just too small.
Im off to a concert in Detroit, maybe ill give it a shot when i get home.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol.. you have 1.5" pokie slings.. you know that getting them to sit still long enough just to get a pic is a task in itself. let alone trying to get it to hold still for a ventrical. wouldnt see much anyways... its just too small.
Im off to a concert in Detroit, maybe ill give it a shot when i get home.
True but its a fun challange. Till you have an ornata jump without warning and nest under your armpit....... talk about a fun time!

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
True but its a fun challange. Till you have an ornata jump without warning and nest under your armpit....... talk about a fun time!
YIKES!! that'd be a tender spot to get tagged in..
well, might as well entertain all pic requests since we're just guessing anyways. We're gonna have to keep this thread alive for a few months until I can sex these lil' kids.
Ill take pics for you when I get back from the show..

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Reel Big Fish and LessThan Jake in Detroit.. it may be awhile.
I feel your pain, Ill be dealing cards from 2pm-2am the next 3 days straight.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is funny! Any young Ornata shots. We appreciate your gymnastics in the pokie sling shots. I know it is a headache. :)

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Reel Big Fish and LessThan Jake in Detroit.. it may be awhile.
I feel your pain, Ill be dealing cards from 2pm-2am the next 3 days straight.
Really? wrong city for you. Bring your operation out here!! :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill say female.
And I will now stand by to be corrected cause I dont know if I get it yet. :(

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats based on what massmorels and others said, I'm still a beginner at sexing pokies but I'm certain I'm right. what species is shown?