Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Yup, I knew it was male, just thought I'd put him up there to add to the thread.:)

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I am a late comer to this thread, but it is facinating stuff! I was planning on picking up an ornata at the next Unique Animal Expo in Hillsboro if there are any for sale. This will help me with my choices. Unless I end up getting more slings... Then I'll just have to wait and see. But it will still help in the long run. :D

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I am a late comer to this thread, but it is facinating stuff! I was planning on picking up an ornata at the next Unique Animal Expo in Hillsboro if there are any for sale. This will help me with my choices. Unless I end up getting more slings... Then I'll just have to wait and see. But it will still help in the long run. :D
That is the point of the thread. Raise the awareness. :)

Now what we really need is some good close shots of some 2-3 inch females. Close ups like the male photos earlier in the thread. We do not need adult females that is not in question here. Come on people or as asked earlier: Do we all only have male Ornatas!? :wall: I know they are hard to photograph and for all who do ---major props. Sweet talk them and they will be nice!! Don't be scured! LOL

LaneyKaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anyone care to try sexing my 2" metallica? I am posting shots of both sides. :razz:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
all i have bred and grown on from slings in the last 3 years are all the pokies i have also bred 9 of the group i have males and females of every pokie at differant sizes for breeding stock all my female ornatas have full adult colour at 3 inch males dont colour the same as females sexing by the folio is not a good way to sex any pokies , i will just go up stairs now and take a picture of one of my 3 inch juv female p ornatas
Oh wow I am going to have to agree somewhat now. I like the Folio method as an indication but not a 100%...... On page 2 the second picture I posted everyone said male and I am almost certain its female. Ill wait for a molt for confirmation. The color difference tipped me off a bit, and there is a light break in the folio, very light. But she is still only just under 3". You put her with my three other males and she stands out like a sore thumb.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On page 2 the second picture I posted everyone said male and I am almost certain its female. Ill wait for a molt for confirmation.
It still looks male to me but you are the one with the population for comparison. Those with a group for comparison always have the advantage trust me.

That Metallica looks female and the Ornata male. My guess anyway. :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What did you see on the metallica that pointed you toward female?
The ventral picture just shows a undeveloped T. Not a T that can be sexed. And the folio and carapace, is there something there you were looking at?

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What did you see on the metallica that pointed you toward female?
The ventral picture just shows a undeveloped T. Not a T that can be sexed. And the folio and carapace, is there something there you were looking at?
The ventral shot of course!! :rolleyes: ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still don't trust the folio method yet, I am agreeing more with David G on this topic. I will agree it's a good indication but not near 100%.

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the first is a male p metallica 2 moults from maturing the second picture is the same male mature , this is the same in all the pokie males and it can be seen in slings as small as 1inch , i will take pictures or a female the same size bare with me on taking pictures as i dont like dissturbing my my spiders

Last edited: