Introduce Yourself

BStheBugLady

Arachnopeon
hello to all

i live in jersey and i love all arthropods. i used to work at the orkin insect zoo at the smithsonian in dc and i really really miss being around live animals. i've kept mantids and millipedes, and i'd like to get a healthy collection going again.

so...ive started with an A. gigas named Ruki and i'm trying to get schooled on tarantula care. also interested in keeping mantids, scorpions, giant scolopendras, and hissers.

peace.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Absolutely new.

Hey everyone-

After finding an included tag to this website for almost every tarantula photo I've researched, I decided that 'Hey, maybe I should join." So, I did.
I'm Corey ("Hi Corey") and for whatever reason, I feel the need express that I am of the female persuasion, as most people associate men with my name. I live in the Arctic Wonderland known as Madison, WI.
I have a lot of animals, even a pet skunk named Axl, who couldn't give a rats a** about my tarantulas. Which is probably good.
As of right now, I have a Chilean Rose Hair named Attila, and a Mexican Red Knee Spiderling named Gucci the Impaler. I would *love* to get an arboreal tarantula next. (More specifically, an Antilles Pinktoe.
So yeah. Look forward to hearing and reading from all of you. Because basically, if you own a tarantula, you're worth knowing ;P

Silkspinner

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and to the hobby. I have always been interested in
keeping one and just recently a friend had gotten me more facinated. For my first one I was thinking of a Blond Mexican or a Pinktoe. Right now Im just doing research and find out the best way to set up the habitat. I am sure I will find all the info I am looking for here and just wanted to say I am happy to be here.

MkIIIkid

Arachnopeon
hello

my name is ryan. i have a B. vegans and a G. aureostriata. the vegans is a mature female. my next few will be an A. minatrix and a P. rufilata. my best friend has quite a few T's too. i live in san diego and i enjoy long walks on the beach

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
Kim from Oregon here

My name is Kim & I have had reptiles in the past but am new to the tarantulas. I just bought my first one yesterday from the reptile expo from a very kind, knowledgable person. I do private small animal & bird rescue & so I know the responsibilty of taking care of animals. My husband had 4 bearded dragons for 3 years but with a job switch he felt guilty for me having to take care of them when he wasnt home so he left it up to me to either get rid of the tanks or to get something I wanted. So here came the tarantula! Im very terrrified of house spiders but this doesnt seem to bother me, too much :) I have alot of questions so I will be posting them in the correct forums. Thanks,Kim

crank

Arachnopeon
Please be gentle ,this is my first time!

Howdy, My name is Stuart, Im 28, live in Kamloops B.C. (displaced island boy), I've wanted a Tarantula since I met Angel in 1994, she was 13 then, a friends. This christmas My girlfriend suprised me with an empty aquarium (65 gallons) So I figured now I should be motivated! I have no T yet, I am not rushing. I always wanted a Brachypelma Smithi- My last name is smith! Until I saw a Poecilotheria metallica Gorgeous! Still pondering, figure the smithi is better for first time. Always up for advice and tips. Im a H.D. Mechanic, got a toyota pickup and I love Love to Ride downhill Mt.bike.Love most music, as long as it's good!

JACO

Arachnopeon
Jaco

HI EK IS JACO EN IS 23 BLY IN PRETORIA, EK HET N PAAR TARANTULAS GEKOOP OM TE BEGIN SO EK
HOOP EK KAN BAIE VAN JULLE AF LEER HOE OM MOOI NA HULLE TE KYK.:razz:

Warduke

Arachnopeon
Im new to this site as well as Scorpions and Tarantulas. Ive always been into reptiles and have had many of those. This site was brought to my attention my IHeartMantids, i met him at the show and he was very informative and helpful. I hope to learn alot on here as my knowledge on scorpions and tarantulas is limited. Here is what ive got so far.

0.0.1 (Hadrurus arizonensis) Desert Hairy Scorpion
0.0.1 (Grammostola aureostriata) Chaco Golden knee Tarantula
1.0.0 (Python Regius) Ball Python
0.1.0 (Python curtus breitensteini) Borneo Short Tail Python
0.0.1 (Boa constrictor) Columbian Red Tail Boa
1.0.0 (Pogona Vitticeps) Bearded Dragon
0.0.2 (Eublepharis macularius) Leopard Geckos

FrankieP

Arachnopeon
Hello...Name's FrankieP

Hello Everyone,

The name is FrankieP, and I am new to your hobby.
Recently retired after more than 20 years active duty USAF, and needed to find hobby. I choose to get into invertebrates. My first two and only critters are my:

Pandinus imperator (Emperor Scorpion) – Emperor Kuzco (Okay…so it’s not very original)
Brachypelma emilia (Mexican Redleg Tarantulas) – Unnamed (Open for suggestions)

I eventually hope to get some Vinegaroons, but need hold off for awhile.

Thanks for letting me join your forum.

FrankieP
:)

spider66

Arachnopeon
thanx

hello all, so glad that this exists. Looks like my 1yr old Salmon pink bird eater broke her fangs on her first mouse. I feel awful about it. came to u guys for advice and came across the recipe for cricket soup. Didn't even have gonna give it a shot tomorrow. I have seen her eat from a bowl before. some of that "jelly water" stuff, so I am hopeful. She just recently molted, so looks like i could be doin this for a bit. hope it works

keep yr fingers crossed for me.

thanks for being available.
s66

chex mix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
New to AB

Hey Everyone,

Hahaha wow, when I get addicted to something, I really get addicted!

I've basically been hooked for about 2 weeks now. I've got the books, spent way too many hours reading the boards and finally pulled the trigger and picked up 3 Chromatopelma cyanopubescens "GBB" slings. I was going to start with just 1, but raising 3 isn't much harder. Well then I found "Avicularia fasciculata" and want to get 3-5.. HAHAHA anyone think i'm going a little overboard?

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No...I think we all have a lot of tarantulas. They're spectacular creatures and easily addictable. Just make sure you're not getting too many right away, then have them if you're excitement wears down. They're still living creatures-not collectables.

Have fun with your little guys!

insectgeeks

Arachnopeon
insectGEEKS!

Hello everybody!

My name is Robert Coral. Some of you may know me from my older website, InsectaCulture.com

I'm now behind the only Social Network for Insect & Arachnid enthusiasts on the net; insectgeeks.com. Here, you can share photos, videos, write blogs, create groups, chat and so much more!

Nice to meet everyone! :)

Robert

spider66

Arachnopeon
Cricket Soup

Hello all, and thank you so much for all your help.
I have 3Ts. a b shithi, a versi, and a Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird eater. She's the reason for my posting. The guy at the pet store told me she was big enough to take down a mouse, and she did, but she broke her fangs off in the process. Took me a little time to figure this all out. Anyhow, I came on line and checked out your answers for broken fangs and found the recipe for Cricket Soup. mmm mmm good. Good thing I attended culinary school. She's lovin it, so I suppose I'll be making more for her for the next couple of weeks until her next molt.

Just wanted to say thank you guys for being there for us.

Spider66

ravenqueen

Arachnopeon
Hello! My name is Courtney and I have a baby Asian Forest Scorpion named Punkin. He/she is only a few months old and I'm wanting to find out as much information as I can because I want Punkin to make it to adulthood! I'm very excited to learn all I can.

Well, I guess I'm off to post my questions! Thanks in advance for being here to help me. :)

Lokkie's

Arachnopeon
The "Lokkie's"

Hi all.

Our family My girlfriend Marianne (23) , micha ( 34) , and our lil kid Kyra (3)
recently got infected with the Theraphosidae virus !
We live in The Netherlands ,
We like to learn and progress in keeping our lil critters happy and healthy .
And there is no learning without the occasional errors.
The problems we run in to is the wide range of info out there.
"what is correct" seems to be a large grey area and is pretty confusing.
So we hope we can get our rookie questions answerd, learn and progress and to eventualy become that experienced so we can help others progress .
Our list of animals so far:

* 2 Brachypelma vagans
* 1 Brachypelma Smithi
* 1 Avicularia Braunshauseni ( we doubt this is the one we got , but more later)
* 1 Grammostola rosea

* 2 bearded dragons
* 3 Aquatic turtles ( Graptemys Kohnii)

And counting :)

*edit *

I hope eventualy to be able to SAFELY keep 2 Haplopelma Lividum's

Last edited:

Cheli

Arachnopeon
Hi everybody,
my name is Burkhard (33) and I'm from Germany. I was searching the web to find infos (and a forum) about true spiders - especially wolf spiders and similar spiders which don't use nets. Hopefully I can get some infos here. Since 1995 I own some tarantulas - my focus is mainly on Lasiodora, Poecilotheria and Hysterocrates.
Burkhard

Michal

Arachnopeon
Hello!

My name is Michal, I am 24, and I live in the Greater Vancouver area in British Columbia (that is in Canada, for those who are not familiar with Canadian provinces). I have been interested in arachnids for a number of years now (probably since watching Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark on video as a kid), though I only recently decided to get into the hobby of keeping tarantulas.

After doing a lot of research for a week or so, I purchased two tarantula spiderlings today: one Lasiodora parahybana and one Psalmopoeus irminia. These are not species commonly recommended to beginners, but species such as Grammostola rosea and Brachypelma smithi did not appeal to me much. Besides, I figure that, assuming I care for them properly, these tarantulas will be with me for many years, so I wanted ones I found interesting, not simple. As for getting more than one to start with, well, that was just greed. :)

I chose the Lasiodora parahybana for the same reason I am sure most do - its impressive size. Also, I have read that they display well, due to not being shy, which is also something I wanted.

I chose the Psalmopoeus irminia due to its beautiful markings (I hope it is a female!) and apparently interesting webbing. Since the Lasiodora parahybana is fairly clumsy and slow, I also hope this guy's (or gal's) agility will contrast nicely.

Obviously I do not plan on handling either of these, particularly the latter as I have heard its venom is rather potent and it is very aggressive.

Anyway, the spiderlings are going to be shipped to me soon and then the fun will begin! I wish that I could have purchased them in a local pet store or from a local breeder, but the pet stores here in Vancouver only carry very common species, if any, and preliminary research into local breeders came up with nothing promising. I heard good things about Martin and Tarantula Canada, though, so I expect no problems. :)

dangerboy

Arachnopeon
Here I go, on yet ANOTHER adventure!

Okay, folks. I'm real grateful to have such a wonderful resource at my fingertips. You see, I've never kept a scorp before, and now I have a challenge before me.

How do I provide a suitable environment?

I'll be keeping species short-term. They are going to be a part of my amateur study on their social characteristics, between each other, looking for the most aggressive species on Earth.

It's going to be a marvelous journey. I just hope I don't fall in love with my subjects!

DB

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
My name is Louis-Mathieu, i live in sherbrooke (québec...). I acquired 7 T's in the last 2 months, all slings... What else can i say... this hobby is addictive!
I currently have 4 Grammostola Aureostriata, 1 Avicularia versicolor, 1 Tapinauchenius Gigas and a Lasiodora Parahybana. I'm looking forward to get an OBT soon!

Well that's about it for me, great forum BTW!
Louis