Introduce Yourself

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My husband and I have had our tarantula for a couple of months now and she has just gone through her first molt..

How long after should you introduce food? how long til we can handle her again?

Thank you!
Welcome...it's a lot of fun here. Leave a week before you feed to be on the safe side. I don't handle so cannot answer your second point, although expect s/he to have a different character for a while. Would I be correct in thinking that were a fan of the Coop?

AliceCoopArach

Arachnopeon
Thank You!

Thank you for your insight! We will give her a week or two. To be honest, since we've purchased her she hasn't eaten for us. I'm assuming she didnt eat due to the fact she was preparing for her molt. We have offered her crickets several times.... 1-3 every other week but she would shy away from them. Quite silly, actually...she is such a little baby! We have a rosehair, mind you...so we have had the chance to handle her quite a bit. She has been quite the addition to our home! Nonetheless i'm under the assumption that she is irritable and ravenous since it's been so long without food. I am also assuming a molt is stressful so I don't think we'll mess with her for a month or so. Oh well..we're happy she has molted, and I must say she looks absolutely gorgeous right now! So vibrant!

And no, Im not so much the Alice Cooper fan.. that's the name my husband gave him...well, I say her ;-D We sing "feed myyyyyy frankenstein!" anytime we dump crickets in the cage!

- Chantel

grappler

Arachnopeon
Hey whats up guys! I just registered and I'm looking forward to learning more about arachnids. Ive been a long time forum reader around here. I currently have a Wolf Spider.

-Cee

spider408

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

My name is Gerry and I used to own a rose haired tarantula. I had my little buddy since the 4th grade to when I graduated from collage. She died around 2003 and I had her almost 12 years. The reason i signed up on this website was to get back into tarantula hobby again.

Gargoyle

Arachnopeon
Hello Everyone

Well I am gargoyle, and I love Exotic Pets......

I am 33 years old, and I have several friends that have A Lot of spiders, and I have thought about getting into pokies, and red knees, but I have not had the time at all....

I am busy right now taking care of a 18 month old Asian Water Dragon that was gifted to me by a friend that got her from someone that did not want it anymore, because their son could not take care of it at all, and I took her in and she was almost dead when I got her, and now she is back on her feet and doing real well....

Well if you would like to see her go to http://www.exoticmenagerie.com and take a look at the picture page and take a look and my baby....

Well I was inspired to build her a website for people all around the world to see the creature that I brought back to life, and show her off as well, and I also am looking into breeding her as well soon, so if you are interested please contact me and we will work out the arrangements

ento

Arachnopeon
Phlogiellus or Selenocosmia crassipes

Hi - I have a spider that needs identifying. Cannot post images here. If you can id Phlogiellus or Selenocosmia crassipes please send email and Ill show u the images.

Amanda Mayhem

Arachnopeon
hello

I am new to the hobby. My husboymate says that I don't do anything halfheartedly, so I am here because I fell in love with a little Chilean Rose Hair at a bug museum (in KANSAS of all places), where they (among many other species) are captive bread. He/She? is about a year old. I have wanted a pet spidey for a long time, but anytime I have gone to a petstore to find one, I have noticed that the people working there never seem to know anything about them - and I am not one to take on a live being that can bite without knowing something about it!:rolleyes:

This little one is a little more skittish than I would have thought, but seems very docile. No hair-throwing, or rearing up, has no problem with handling so far.

Hi everyone!:eek:

maymay

Arachnopeon
hi..im marie...im 16 an i live in Dublin ireland!!:}
i've had a t for nearly a year now...he a beautiful mexican redknee....im lookin into getting a new 1...but havin ta save 4 a deds dress makes funds low:mad:

im lookin 4ward to gettin it tho...jus gotta make a new savings fund:wall:

anyway...enough bout dat......im lookin 4ward ta gettin my new t an talkin 2 other people bout der t's

bye xx

Hirogen swarm

Arachnopeon
hi, I'm 2/lt Jim Greeves and I just got back from my second and final tour in Afghanistan as a reservist (Canada apparently is too cool to have an army reserve, we instead have a "land element". doesnt that sound dumb??) I've cared for serpents, lizards and spiders on and off for 15 years. I'm looking to leave my experiences overseas behind me, and focus on exotic pet care. I'm taking the year off to relax at the family ranch southwest of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I'm here to use this forum as a resource for information and supply for invertabrate creatures in Canada, and maybe meet some good people. Please, no questions about the war, I'm not here to talk about that;)

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm the Chainsaw Monkey and I'm from the USA(I hate George Bush too, guess I'm not the only one in the world). I'm here to make friends and learn all I can about these often overlooked creatures. I have 1 Grammostola rosea, 1 Pandinus imperator, some fish, 2 dogs, and a cat. I had a mantis for a while but I let it go considering it was wild caught and was banging its head on the cage wall. But I hope I meet some new people and make some new friends.

Rustman

Arachnopeon
Фсем превед

Hi everyone, i'm from Saint-Petersburg(Russia), 22 years old. I am trying to find out some info about tarantulas.:wall:

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are from around Buffalo, NY. We got our first tarantula shortly after we got married two years ago to help my husband get over his fear of spiders. I'd wanted a tarantula since I first saw a rosie in a pet store about 10 years ago. Of course though, I had parents that associated tarantula keeping with biker gangs, so that was out of the question.
Our first tarantula was a little rosie that we got from a pet shop in Hamilton, Ontario, back when we still lived on the other side of the border. We currently have a cameroon red baboon, a rose hair, a stripeknee, a brazilian salmon pink spiderling, and a mexican red knee spiderling. Though, we'll have 5 more by the end of this week.
I've already learned a lot just wandering around the site, especially that whole thread on enclosures.

clffdvr

Arachnopeon
Man about town.

Hi All,

I recently got my first T, a Red-Knee. It's about 3 inches in diameter, and likes to burrow and cover the burrow with peat moss.

My specialty is the Ctenosaurus variety of iguanids. But I'm fascinated by T's, and they are absolutely no trouble to keep unless they get a big infestation of mites. The book I'm reading says all crickets have mites, so therefore all T's have mites. Is this true> how awful.

I'm a small-job contractor, and an older man. My favorite grouping are my Jewelled Lacertas. I just love my Jewelled Lacerta setup. Now I'm trying to learn how to best care for this T. The pet store told me to keep him in damp peat moss. He hated that. Now he is in dry peat moss, with a wide water dish with stones so he can walk out in it without getting his feet wet. The crickets can also get out, and don't pester the T because I keep cricket food and water in the cage, and keep only two crickets in there at a time. Question: is that too many crickets?

As far as interest goes, my T is my most interesting captive, even though he stays submerged.

My family and friends absolutely can't understand why I keep these animals, one of which is a fast-growing juvvie Blackthroat Monitor lizard. I know each animal individually, and keep a hawk's eye out for illness or other trouble. I have the best exotics vet within twenty miles, and she is really sharp and knowledgeable. She has made the right call a dozen times when I brought a lizard in that I was worried about.

I'm going to dig up my Red-knee and use a magnifying glass to look for mites.

Well that's me. BTW one of my hobbies is muzzle-loading black powder rifles. I have a 62 caliber ball shooter and am working on my marksmanship. That rifle is almost too heavy to hold steady, but it goes off like a cannon. For some reason, that is very satisfying to me.

Roger

Camdil

Arachnopeon
Howdy

Hello
My name is Kevin I currently live in Western Mass and have a juvenile Grammostola rosea and, am thinking of getting a couple of others T‘s soon.
I have found this forum very helpful with all the info that gets posted by its members.

chefrdw

Arachnopeon
Hey Their!!

Saying "HI".........

I have a Mexican Red Knee Tarantula and have had it for about two years.

I really hope someone can tell me what sex it is and I'll be posting photos of it soon.

As of right now, I'm going to poke around this board and see what I can learn.

Ron_323

Arachnopeon
Hi, I am new here, the names Ronnie and I am from L.A, I came here to look for some tips for owning a scorpion and learn more about them.

tokie_pokie

Arachnopeon
hola. i joined the site to learn more about tarantulas. i have had one since i was 10(i am 23 now). as of now i only have a rose hair, but i am fixing to get a P.regalis.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi I am Mac from Manila, Philippines. I joined to learn more about my new addiction with Tarantulas. I started acquiring a month ago along with some other friends and as of writing this I already have 9 Ts with me.

I hope to get additional info on the care, behavior, do's and don'ts, and all other issues related to the care of these amazing creatures.

0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata
0.0.1 Brachypelma Albopilosum
0.0.1 Brachypelma Boehmi
0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans
0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi
0.0.1 Grammostola Aureostriata
0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea
1.0.1 Nhandu Chromatus

I am also into Flowerhorn fish (if you guys are familiar...)

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi I am Mac from Manila, Philippines. I joined to learn more about my new addiction with Tarantulas. I started acquiring a month ago along with some other friends and as of writing this I already have 9 Ts with me.

I hope to get additional info on the care, behavior, do's and don'ts, and all other issues related to the care of these amazing creatures.

0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata
0.0.1 Brachypelma Albopilosum
0.0.1 Brachypelma Boehmi
0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans
0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi
0.0.1 Grammostola Aureostriata
0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea
1.0.1 Nhandu Chromatus

I am also into Flowerhorn fish (if you guys are familiar...)
Welcome to the addiction my friend! What?! No scorps?!!

olaf

Arachnopeon
hi everybody,
my name is olaf and im 16 years old.
i live in the netherlands, Rotterdam:cool: :cool:
i havent got a scorpion yet, but planning on getting one soon:D