Species Grammostola rosea (a.k.a. Grammostola cala)

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dangaboy said:
Thanks for the comments. Sent you that PM BD. I bought her from a pet shop in Benoni, not to far from JHB.

MindUtopia - You should let me know when you are in Cape Town, I have some friends there and do regular business trips.
Definitely. I know I'll be there July 5-August 5, but possibly part of June too depending on what work I need to get done. I'll have to remember to look you up before I go.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, welcome also. I doubt your collection will stop at 6 lol. I had one, then two now I have 5 (slower going b/c I spent more money to geta nice size blondi and a P Metallica, so for me it was more $$). This hobby is extremely addictive, something I never knew lol.

I would also like to know your other kinds you got.

Again welcome to the boards, its great here, you wont be let down.

Bill

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh my youre a girl!

Sarah_88 said:
Well, the last time I looked in the mirror I was :p

Sarah
The mirror....thats how it works...foolish me. My 6 y/o asked how to tell the differnce between boy and girl dogs a week ago and I never thought of that one.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After I 'rescued' my first tarantula from the pet store (the G. Rosea in that picture), I decided to try my hand at spiderlings. They're amazingly easy to care for, and they're really fun to feed :} I ordered four spiderlings I bought from Jason at http://www.southernspiderworks.com, and he sent me a .5" G. Rosea sling for free!!

2 Grammostola Aureostriata (.5" long, each)
1 Brachypelma Vagans (.5" long)
1 Brachypelma Albopilosum (.5" long)

There's four; including my nearly full-size Chilean Rose and the Chilean sling, that makes six altogether. My little spiderlings just ate their second meal yesterday, and they're pretty happy and content ;)

Sarah

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Darwinsdad said:
oh my youre a girl!

The mirror....thats how it works...foolish me. My 6 y/o asked how to tell the differnce between boy and girl dogs a week ago and I never thought of that one.

That comment depends on how you interpret it. If I might add, it was typed in a very casual tone, rated for an all-age audience with an appropriate, decent and perfectly innocent mindset (and that is exactly the way in which it was meant) only after did I think about that comment of your's did I realise how others could have totally twisted that around :)

Sarah

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those are all great T's albeit slow growers too, you probably will find yourself in the near future purchasing fast growers (thats the reason I got the blondi and metallica lol, wanted some instant gratification, or at least quicker gratification)

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, they're slow-growers, but I would rather have them that way so I can enjoy them longer before they all grow up. I'm anxious to see them molt for the first time since I've had them. Blondis are awesome tarantulas, but they've also got some bad attitudes. If one of my tarantulas happen to make a run for it, at least they won't take a finger off when I catch them! (Only joking - but then again, maybe not!)

Sarah

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You might think its more enjoyment time now, but that will change Im sure. The difference between fast and slow growers is basically...

Fast growers: when a sling, molts every 1-2 months, then 6 months at juvi almost adult, then a year for basically adult (very rough estimates)

Slow growers: when a sling, every 2-3 months, as much as 5, then up to a year, then who knows...

The G. Rosea sling you have is one of the slowest growers, it may take up to 7 years to get to the size of your first one.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, Prometheusmum :) I don't know how old that big Rosea is, but she has to be older than 5. Funny, though... from where I bought her, someone told me she arrived when she was only an inch or so long. Who knows what they measured her with! (I'm assuming that they didn't bother, they merely guessed) suppose they were off by just a wee bit, you think? :rolleyes:

I know they're going to take a while growing... but since I'm new to this hobby (and since I have a lot of patience), after some lengthy researching and some very difficult decisions, I specifically chose these docile tarantulas so I could enjoy them... but I knew what I was getting into, that's for sure! {D The B. Albopilsom's gained some healthy weight, and the B. Vagans is quite the pig when it comes to food. One of the G. Aureos has eaten but hasn't shown much appetite, while the other G. Aureo and G. Rosea don't seem very interested in food, but I'm positive they ate the first time I put food in there. They're on a 2-3 day feeding schedule regardless of how much they eat or ignore the halved crickets, so they should grow up healthy and happy. After I fed them the first time, I immediately left the room for 3 hours. When I went back to check on them, it was hilarious seeing what that little B. Vagans had done. It pulled that halved cricket around its tupperware container - and was contently sitting atop the cricket, which it had propped up against its water dish! I couldn't help but laugh. Funny little critters, they are :D

Sarah

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
B. vagans aren't that slow of a grower, I have two that have gone from 1/2" in November 2004 to 3"+ today

Mori

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In that case, I might be seeing a bigger tarantula sooner than I'd first thought - I'm still rather excited, though. Slow-growers or not! :)

Sarah

Nathan`

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I put it into a larger tank yesterday (10 gallon) and thought I would take some pics. As I was putting it together, I looked around the room and saw one of the smaller folgers coffee cans that flavored coffee's come in and decided to put it in as a hide. So far it's a hit. I'll be putting more plants in later today.

Whole Shot of tank

AND...ACTION!

Home at last

Top Shot

A spider in the hand, is worth two in the tank

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have several of the coffee containers that I knew would come in handy. Screws, bolts, spider house, you know, that kinda stuff! I think I will steal your idea and do the same thing. Nice job.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gorgous Rose you have there !
Dont care what anyone says about "roses" their kool in my books !
My girl is about 6 " !!
Thanks for sharing ! :clap:

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pretty neat buddy. mine hated me for months after i re-housed her. i like your setup, looks nice!

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arlius said:
Who wants to bet money that this thread would have maybe 1 or 2 replies if sarah wasnt in the picture... {D
Ill bet some money on that !
Nice looking T you have there , i find Roses are under-rated as well...
They have some of the funnyest personalitys , thanks for sharing :clap: