Species Grammostola rosea (a.k.a. Grammostola cala)

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
AF Grammostola rosea (RCF)

Note: referenced the RCF rosea in my post on the Grammostola sp. Maule so have included a typical example of one of my rosea reds for reference below 👍
20210506_110147.jpg

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Thank you. 😊

So just curious....I have never seen "cala" used to describe the RCF rosea but my post has been moved to this title by the mods.

Can anyone tell me when this classification came into effect please?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So just curious....I have never seen "cala" used to describe the RCF rosea but my post has been moved to this title by the mods.

Can anyone tell me when this classification came into effect please?
According to the World Spider Catalog, it's a junior synonym of Grammostola rosea. (I've been including junior synonyms used since 2000.)

For species appreciation threads, variations of the same species belong in one thread.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
No problem. Thanks for contributing to species threads. (You're the first to start threads for several species.)
Albeit in the wrong section....ha ha
My pleasure.
To help me out I have looked at the world spider catalogue for the rosea and its clear as mud to find "cala"
I did a search and it came up but when you go to the link, u less I read every pdf in there, I can't immediately see "calla".
You must have an encyclopedic brain! 👍
This is that I was looking at
Thanks again for your help. 😊

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Albeit in the wrong section....ha ha
My pleasure.
To help me out I have looked at the world spider catalogue for the rosea and its clear as mud to find "cala"
I did a search and it came up but when you go to the link, u less I read every pdf in there, I can't immediately see "calla".
You must have an encyclopedic brain! 👍
This is that I was looking at
Thanks again for your help. 😊
What I'm looking at is the species page for Grammostola rosea. At the top, there is a list of "taxonomic references" sorted by date. (They link to papers, but you don't have to read the papers to see the synonyms.)

Grammostola rosea.png

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's an interesting historical tidbit : According to de Vosjoli (1991), G. porteri was then referred to as G. gala, G. rosea was then referred as G. spatulata. I still look at the G. spatulata on page 46 and it evokes a strong feeling of nostalgia. The picture made it look so exotic, never in my mind could I have imagined it would have been the most widely available T for almost 30 years.