Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Five Poecilotheria species - Endangered status and limitations

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by EulersK, Jul 31, 2018.

1. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnolord

Advertisement
    Yes I have. They bought them from someone out of state before the ban. No adult females...

• Sad Sad x 1
  2. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arthropodess Arachnosupporter

It was silly to think that after all the research you’d done that I could have found so quickly a breeder in-state that you missed. :sorry: I still hope that you can find an opportunity to breed him!

3. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnolord

I’d take hundreds of “have you tried this person” posts if only just one of them would on out . I appreciate it :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm self employed (not in the T industry, sadly) but I certainly understand the business mindset. However, I personally believe that if we, as hobbyists, are expected to put some of our focus on these species' survival, that the business owners and breeders profiting off this industry should want to do so as well.

I don't think it's too high of an expectation to hope that a business would be willing to sacrifice some immediate profit to at least attempt to contribute to conservation efforts. I wouldn't give up my entire paycheck for the cause, but I would happily donate a portion of that paycheck - as well as my time and other resources - to contribute to the conservation of an endangered species... especially if my entire business was in an industry so closely aligned with conservation.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying anything about any of the breeders/businesses in this thread, and I'm sure that most of them already donate their time, money, and other resources to conservation efforts beyond simply breeding and selling Ts. I'm just saying I don't think it's out of the question to hope that they are.

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but I look forward to the day when I am experienced enough to contribute to the procreation and survival of some of these endangered species within the hobby. I agree with you that the rarity (within the hobby) is likely overblown right now, and I am certainly optimistic that these species will still be around in a year or so when I feel experienced enough to get some poecs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. BasedGod

BasedGod Arachnopeon

Is it possible to reintroduce the tarantulas in the hobby back into the wild if somehow some species went extinct?

6. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

It is possible. However there are a lot several problems with this. The main one being USFW considers the gene pool of our spiders to be impure (and they're probably right). Although if a species does go extinct in the wild they have worked with impure bloodlines in the past. The second problem would be finding suitable habitat to release them in. Habitat loss is the main problem these species face. The third problem would finding the money and manpower (and interest, these are spiders we're talking about, not pandas) to gather them up, ship them back, and reintroduce them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kron

Kron Arachnosquire

This indeed doesn't seem to be well thought out and is likely the default response for endangered species. Reintroducing species generally works poorly for most endangered species as they usually have to be conditioned appropriately to survive in the wild and likewise the wild has to be conditioned appropriately for their reintroduction. So for most mammals it makes some sense to ignore pet populations.

However, Tarantulas and other inverts don't seem like they need sophisticated conditioning environments and reintroductions of endangered spider species are generally productive. Arthropods don't need to be trained to hunt and are often successful invasive species thanks to their phenotypic plasticity.

So assuming, as we should, that pet tarantula populations are a viable source population for the wild sink populations we should keep captive bred populations healthy and genetically diverse and to do this migration between local populations and so states would be beneficial (following metapopulation theory). What should be done is an encouragement of keepers to breed their tarantulas and to only sell and buy captive bred tarantulas.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

All species are now listed on CITES and not just the handful of species from Sri Lanka. The proposal has been accepted as of August 26, 2019

https://cites.org/eng/com/cop/18/inf/index.php

79. Comments on proposal CoP18 Prop. 49 by Sri Lanka and the United States of America to include all species of arboreal and ornamental tarantulas in the genus Poecilotheria in Appendix II (submitted by India) CoP18 Inf. 79 Prop. 49 English 18/08/2019

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

I don't want to read forever, but I'm assuming now all pokies are affected in the US?

10. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

CA
    https://www.cites.org/eng/disc/how.php

Would appear export is the only thing really affected, unless the US has some sort of additional caveat for CITES imports.

As an addendum, I wonder if this will put off the other species listed in the original
    petition from being put under the ESA.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I believe an importer also has to acquire a special permit and pay additional fees to import CITES species into the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. JPG

JPG Arachnosquire Active Member

This is worse than what Canadian Firearm law is turning into...
    More nonsense!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.