Five Poecilotheria species - Endangered status and limitations

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
It is very frustrating, I can only seem to find Ornata available in my state.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
they're gifted (likewise amongst hobbyists interested in keeping these species available in the states)
What, like 50/50 breeder loans? Couldn't that be considered a trade crossing state lines?

I've never seen anyone giving away free P ornatas. I'll be first in line if it happens, because living in ND provides almost zero chance of me being able to purchase them.

It is very frustrating, I can only seem to find Ornata available in my state.
At least there's those.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
What, like 50/50 breeder loans? Couldn't that be considered a trade crossing state lines?

I've never seen anyone giving away free P ornatas. I'll be first in line if it happens, because living in ND provides almost zero chance of me being able to purchase them.

At least there's those.
You can’t find any of them at all in your state?

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I don't know of a single tarantula in North Dakota besides mine period, let alone ESA pokies. That database that someone started had nobody, which didn't surprise me. There's a reptile expo once a year on the other side of the state, but it's one day for six hours and no clue if they've got inverts.

This place is the sticks, man. And it's frozen half the year so even getting stuff shipped is a real struggle. You might think I'm being pessimistic, but it's easier to understand if you move out here lol.

Here's this sad event:

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
As far as I'm aware, standard breeding loans are still allowed under the law. USFW's website used to explicitly state that fact, but it seems they reworked their website some time back. Regardless though, I was actually referring to just gifts. There are hobbyists out there interested in keeping these in the US hobby who breed these species and give them away to experienced keepers/breeders that pay the shipping cost (and ONLY the shipping cost). That's how I got my group of P. fasciata.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
As far as I'm aware, standard breeding loans are still allowed under the law. USFW's website used to explicitly state that fact, but it seems they reworked their website some time back. Regardless though, I was actually referring to just gifts. There are hobbyists out there interested in keeping these in the US hobby who breed these species and give them away to experienced keepers/breeders that pay the shipping cost (and ONLY the shipping cost). That's how I got my group of P. fasciata.
Well that's good to know. Only pokie I've tried breeding was metallica and I wasn't successful. Will have to focus some effort on learning them and try to break into this network somehow.

Glad you got some spiders. So are they sac mates and do you plan to pair them? I'm not looking for fasciata btw, so hope you don't suspect that this is some roundabout way of me asking for some.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well that's good to know. Only pokie I've tried breeding was metallica and I wasn't successful. Will have to focus some effort on learning them and try to break into this network somehow.

Glad you got some spiders. So are they sac mates and do you plan to pair them? I'm not looking for fasciata btw, so hope you don't suspect that this is some roundabout way of me asking for some.
There really isn't a network that I'm aware of, just watch the classifieds lol. My group are sackmates, but I don't really have any intention to breed them together. The plan is to hold back the females for future breeding projects and disperse any MM's through the US Tarantula Sustainment Project.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
There really isn't a network that I'm aware of, just watch the classifieds lol.
🤣 Here I envisioned these shadowy cryptic deals going down between characters like the one in your avatar. Alright man, thanks for the tip.

Oh shoot, just checked the database again and see that there's a dude in ND with one female ornata. SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE

Best of luck with your fasciata.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
🤣 Here I envisioned these shadowy cryptic deals going down between characters like the one in your avatar. Alright man, thanks for the tip.

Oh shoot, just checked the database again and see that there's a dude in ND with one female ornata. SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE

Best of luck with your fasciata.
Where is this database?

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Where is this database?
It's the Google docs link in this comment.
Hopefully you can get some of your wishlist knocked out! Should also say to check it occasionally, as the ND guy was updated since the last time I checked.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
It's the Google docs link in this comment.
Hopefully you can get some of your wishlist knocked out! Should also say to check it occasionally, as the ND guy was updated since the last time I checked.
Thank you!

4tsinandgrowing

Arachnopeon
I totally agree... they should be more understanding that we will lose the species in the wild because most species come from third world back water countries where locals kill them off because their view as pests and are illegally harvesting minerals and clearing the land for various reasons... no one will ever stop them also from illegally taking them out of thier native range and selling to the Chinese... whom are becoming rather fond of the hobby and don't have the same ethical per say as us keepers in the west p. Metallica in China is still going for like 1000 usd equivalent look at ivory and rhino horn pretty soon all that will be left is hobby breed specimens in most developing countries..

Looks to me like you could even ship them as long as it wasn't a commercial act. I could be wrong on that but it looks like you'd be able to keep your collection should you move to another state.
I was thinking you sold a cage with a tiny 2nd instar sling hitch hiking or everyone in the hobby can just start calling them something different kind of like chicken nuggets and mcnuggets different name same thing lol until they catch on at least