Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Does any still keep Trapdoor Spiders

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Venom100, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    pm me and maybe we can work sumin out

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. MoranDisciple

MoranDisciple Arachnosquire

PA
    Hey basin, first just want to say I love your videos! The commentary is great. Also, whereabouts did you find your calommata? I cant find one for sale anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

aptostichus is pretty neat, albeit frustrating as hell to collect

You cannot see them unless you carefully use a spade or something to gently sweep the ground to locate their doors.. they are also mostly found on steep hillsides making it even harder. When you handle this genus youll notice they have the instinct to climb as high as possible

• Like Like x 1
  4. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Bought mine from BugzUK here in the UK.

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. MoranDisciple

PA
    You guys across the pond have such superior breeders (no offense to my USA breeders).

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Joogvanhedel

Joogvanhedel Arachnoknight

And way cheaper :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hydrophilus

Hydrophilus Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I love Aptostichus - such cool little spoods, and a surprising amount of patterning compared to our other North American trapdoors. I was intending to look for a few species this winter in southern Nevada/southern California. Any other tips, Smokehound? Do you see them regularly?

8. 1AA31F63-6C53-4F9E-AF25-3007F966DF0C.jpeg 09453137-38CC-4110-9CB9-53A3730875DB.jpeg
    Aptostichus icenoglei and Apomastus sp

• Like Like x 3
  9. MoranDisciple

PA
    I've had my Cyclocosmia Ricketti for a week and it still hasn't made a trapdoor or fed...

Attached Files:

10. 137AC1DB-925F-4C7C-8380-B9BE82E9F35C.jpeg
    Please create a burrow for it! ive had two matures of this species die on me simply because they didnt have a burrow prebuilt for them. Similar to bothriocytrum californicum they will die off unless they have a burrow as they become very stressed without shelter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I got another Thyropoeus mirandus today, decided to finally try handling while i was rehousing it. It was fun but for the sake of the spider itll be the last i ever handle it obviously.
    15F8FB9F-5432-4858-99AF-06F4ED86F0FC.jpeg 8747C7AC-C72F-4AE9-8CD0-1CCF718C4E4D.jpeg 52CA367E-AD9A-4AB0-9AAE-46EBFC1621A5.jpeg 5CB0962B-4C5F-436E-B6DD-5E8C9F21DC5E.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  12. MoranDisciple

PA
    How wide should I make it relative to its abdomen diameter?

13. Yes

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  14. lol sorry i didnt read the first two words as i was replying in a rush. Make the burrow about as big as the largest part of its abdomen or a bit larger than that

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

oooh very nice impressive beast,i'm planning on getting one of these,if i can find them availible, great shots of that one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe rossi has one left if you wanna snag it

17. MoranDisciple

PA
    His username?

18. i believe its his name lol

19. just look at the for sale and trade forums and you’ll find him lol

20. Wow you spending money? That's crazy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.