Considering getting a P. Metallica.. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
There are plenty of NW terrestrials who are hardy and easy to care for husbandry wise. To recommend an OBT as a first T isn´t exactly sound advise IMO. Yes, they are incredible hardy, but also prone to bolting and running about at incredible speed when startled. I don´t believe someone with no prior experience with T´s should attempt to rehouse an OBT for example. It might end bad.
+1
Also, I actually think a GBB would be a great T for someone newer to get more comfortable with the faster moving Ts as they are very hardy and not as savage as OBTs when it comes to defensiveness also not as bad as bite.
Going from owning a T like G. rosea or
B.albopilosum to getting a OBT or pokie is like driving a Toyota corrola and then jumping into a F1 car, not such a great idea.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
There are plenty of NW terrestrials who are hardy and easy to care for husbandry wise. To recommend an OBT as a first T isn´t exactly sound advise IMO. Yes, they are incredible hardy, but also prone to bolting and running about at incredible speed when startled. I don´t believe someone with no prior experience with T´s should attempt to rehouse an OBT for example. It might end bad.
I hear you but all I'm trying to say is what can you learn from say as B.Smithi about a pokie? Nothing... I'm a relative noob but I can easily manage all my baboons due to experience with them not others lol

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Each species has something to teach us and it does help to get accustomed to spiders in general and their reactions and movements.
No, a B. smithi is not going to help you prepare for an OBT, but they help you prepare for a GBB, Avic, Lasiordora, or Thrixopelma. From there - those species will help better prepare you for an OBT or Poec. That's why people suggest the intermediate species and not to jump from beginner to advanced.
They help to prepare you - they never make you completely prepared.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I hear you but all I'm trying to say is what can you learn from say as B.Smithi about a pokie? Nothing... I'm a relative noob but I can easily manage all my baboons due to experience with them not others lol
You won´t learn too much about a "Pokie" from having an OBT either. A Psalmopoeus or a Tapinauchenius on the other hand, might be really useful to have some experience with before going for an OW arboreal. I´m not an advocate for the "ladder system" in this hobby. There are many ways to go about, and I don´t see any reasons for everyone to follow the same pattern. Still there are good and bad ways. You´re free to do as you please, and I´m not saying that you can´t manage your "Baboons". I have no opinion about your skills with keeping tarantulas, but your advise for someone to get an OBT as a first tarantula or to get a "Pokie" with no prior experience with arboreals, are just plain bad.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm trying to say is what can you learn from say as B.Smithi about a pokie? Nothing... I'm a relative noob

If this is what you think, you have a long ways to go. There are basics that apply to all tarantulas, you build a foundation of experience with that.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I jumped from a G. pulchripes to two P. regalis. While it worked out very well for me, I then kept packing on. I picked up two Haplopelma a few months ago, and they were the first ones to give me a shock, as I didnt have any spiders with any kind of attitude before these Haplos, despite all my pokies being of fairly good size. Jumping up from easy species to high strung OW is not only stupid, but possibly reckless and endangering if you arent very careful.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I jumped from a G. pulchripes to two P. regalis. While it worked out very well for me, I then kept packing on. I picked up two Haplopelma a few months ago, and they were the first ones to give me a shock, as I didnt have any spiders with any kind of attitude before these Haplos, despite all my pokies being of fairly good size. Jumping up from easy species to high strung OW is not only stupid, but possibly reckless and endangering if you arent very careful.
+1 also,
As much as everyone makes out OBTs to be the most defensive/bad attitude T, I personally think that H. lividum is actually more "cranky". But that is just my two shiny pennies.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
If this is what you think, you have a long ways to go. There are basics that apply to all tarantulas, you build a foundation of experience with that.
I'm not being rude but "a long ways to go" before what? I don't get bit?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
+1 also,
As much as everyone makes out OBTs to be the most defensive/bad attitude T, I personally think that H. lividum is actually more "cranky". But that is just my two shiny pennies.
OBTs are nothing compared to an angry Haplo.. they'll never back down and have way more fight lol

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I'm not being rude but "a long ways to go" before what? I don't get bit?
I don't think he meant any malice, just maybe that you should get a bit more experience under your belt for the safety of you and the well being of the Ts you keep.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
+1 also,
As much as everyone makes out OBTs to be the most defensive/bad attitude T, I personally think that H. lividum is actually more "cranky".
Yes, and far too many people get them as a first tarantula too. However, they are more expensive, and not as readily available, as an OBT is - so that factors into how many new comers obtain them.
I remember being in a pet shop chain in Toronto - the worst chain that we had for a long time - when tarantulas were still being sold before the ban came into affect. I was looking at them and the young man working there was suggesting an H. lividum to a young man of about 15 years old. It was going to be his first tarantula and he just loved the 'blue' colouring. Plus, the pet shop had it set up completely wrong and it was not able to burrow.
I explained that if that tarantula was set up properly - the young man would never, ever, see it. And if he didn't set it up properly, then it was going to be stressed out and far more prone to defensive behaviour. Then, I suggested another couple of species to him instead. I'm not sure what he did that day.
That is one pro to the ban - people can't be shafted by pet shop employees who know nothing and care even less.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
You won´t learn too much about a "Pokie" from having an OBT either. A Psalmopoeus or a Tapinauchenius on the other hand, might be really useful to have some experience with before going for an OW arboreal. I´m not an advocate for the "ladder system" in this hobby. There are many ways to go about, and I don´t see any reasons for everyone to follow the same pattern. Still there are good and bad ways. You´re free to do as you please, and I´m not saying that you can´t manage your "Baboons". I have no opinion about your skills with keeping tarantulas, but your advise for someone to get an OBT as a first tarantula or to get a "Pokie" with no prior experience with arboreals, are just plain bad.
I appreciate your opinion but I'm entitled to mine.... If you're new to the hobby and you want a certain T then why must you wait a few years dabbling in more docile ones you have no real passion for? I say go for it! Do research and keep them right experience doesn't come into it....

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh man this exactly! My regalis, muticus, and maculata are angels compared to my lividum....

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
experience doesn't come into it....
I wholeheartedly disagree. The OP just considered getting a poec because her friend (?) jumped in and got it without experience and got bit.

I have seen personally a few posts that describe overwhelmed owners with their OBT or poec.

Maybe you don't need 20 years of experience to do well, but having a year of quality experience can make a gigantic difference.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
I wholeheartedly disagree. The OP just considered getting a poec because her friend (?) jumped in and got it without experience and got bit.

I have seen personally a few posts that describe overwhelmed owners with their OBT or poec.

Maybe you don't need 20 years of experience to do well, but having a year of quality experience can make a gigantic difference.
I'm not saying experience with fast, defensive T's is a bad thing lol but how does one gain that experience? We're talking about animals each and every one different in their behaviours...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pterinochilus murinus are actually a bit of a shy Theraphosidae. The only difference, on that sense, is that they are prone to panic and react in a very badass way to intrusions (80% of those are, let's be honest, keepers goofy attempts).

A good rule with those is always to offer to those lot of inches of substrate. Being a Scrooge with substrate is always IMO a bad thing, when those are involved, a big mistake I say.

Pay no attention to the speculations about their nature, we know that they are very hardy and easy to adapt T's (it's not rare, if pro packed, to even spot on the arrival an 'OBT' even let's say "comfortable" in the little shipping box, web all over the paper) but this because they need to fight 24/7 for thrive in Africa dangerous wild... therefore it doesn't matter, for that the Prophet :kiss: will burrow if given the opportunity, IMO.

So, lot of substrate, a piece of cork bark, and 90% the 'OBT' will accept that and will live under, creating his/her home. With that, working with an 'OBT' (experience needed of course) is a bit more "easy".

Do not offer those inches of substrate, try a different set up, chances are that the orange lovely will web and create, obviously, his/her home. This, while to an extent fascinating to see, isn't exactly the best for maintenance and for clean/remove the water dish. It's always a nice 'Thrill' to touch too much (AC/DC) the web where lives a badass Theraphosidae :pompous:

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Pterinochilus murinus are actually a bit of a shy Theraphosidae. The only difference, on that sense, is that they are prone to panic and react in a very badass way to intrusions (80% of those are, let's be honest, keepers goofy attempts).

A good rule with those is always to offer to those lot of inches of substrate. Being a Scrooge with substrate is always IMO a bad thing, when those are involved, a big mistake I say.

Pay no attention to the speculations about their nature, we know that they are very hardy and easy to adapt T's (it's not rare, if pro packed, to even spot on the arrival an 'OBT' even let's say "comfortable" in the little shipping box, web all over the paper) but this because they need to fight 24/7 for thrive in Africa dangerous wild... therefore it doesn't matter, for that the Prophet :kiss: will burrow if given the opportunity, IMO.

So, lot of substrate, a piece of cork bark, and 90% the 'OBT' will accept that and will live under, creating his/her home. With that, working with an 'OBT' (experience needed of course) is a bit more "easy".

Do not offer those inches of substrate, try a different set up, chances are that the orange lovely will web and create, obviously, his/her home. This, while to an extent fascinating to see, isn't exactly the best for maintenance and for clean/remove the water dish. It's always a nice 'Thrill' to touch too much (AC/DC) the web where lives a badass Theraphosidae :pompous:
+1 providing good hides and adequate substrate mean a less stressed and less defensive T. Id much rather have an OBT make its home in the substrate rather than creating a "hammock" in the far upper corner of the enclosure which can make maintenance difficult.

Also, agree they can be a bit shy compared to Haps. Lightly tap an OBT enclosure and it will more than likely just "scrunch up" or retract its legs more, lightly tap a Hap's enclosure...BOOM! instant threat posture.

Also, rocking song reference!!! Bon Scott AC/DC is much better than the new stuff, sorry Brian.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
+1 providing good hides and adequate substrate mean a less stressed and less defensive T. Id much rather have an OBT make its home in the substrate rather than creating a "hammock" in the far upper corner of the enclosure which can make maintenance difficult.

Also, agree they can be a bit shy compared to Haps. Lightly tap an OBT enclosure and it will more than likely just "scrunch up" or retract its legs more, lightly tap a Hap's enclosure...BOOM! instant threat posture.

Also, rocking song reference!!! Bon Scott AC/DC is much better than the new stuff, sorry Brian.
I honestly get worried when I actually DO see my fossorial Ts, it means something might be wrong with their housing. I am happy with my pit of death that accepts crickets.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
There are basics that apply to all tarantulas, you build a foundation of experience with that.
I really agree with this part of the statement. Even beginner Ts help you build your skills in re-housing, feeding, cleanup, wrangling. It is much easier to learn catch cup rehousing with a slower T or a less defensive T. Once you know the technique of how to place the cup and contain the T it is much easier to apply it to faster more defensive Ts.

My first few re-houses were you standard beginner Ts and I learned a lot from them. Which was good because my 4th or so was a pokie and I had a lot more to worry about then how to place a catch cup.

A lot of T care that a new keeper needs to learn will cross over to any T species. Filling in that knowledge working with a easier T species reduces what you have to worry about when learning the 'basics'.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I honestly get worried when I actually DO see my fossorial Ts, it means something might be wrong with their housing.
I understand but no need. If you provided lots of inches (which I'm sure you had) and the right parameter/set up you're perfectly fine. I remember that, when I owned years ago that genus ('Haplos') I've spotted at late night those more than once guarding their burrow :p

Status
Not open for further replies.