Brightly colored tarantulas + questions

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Same as any tarantula. Catch cups work for all tarantulas....bigger ts just need bigger cups, smaller ts need smaller cups....so simple.

There are other hands off techniques you can look up as well, such as the bag method.

Members here sell their ts they raised all the time...so yes, its possible.

Any t can be housed on any of the acceptable substrates (or any combination)...sub is a matter of personal preference for the keeper. Use whatever substrate you want to.
I guess I really like the looks of that white one. How old would you say it has to be before you know their personality?

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I guess I really like the looks of that white one. How old would you say it has to be before you know their personality?
Their temperament can change with the wind. Perfectly docile specimens can molt and suddenly become super defensive/skittish. I wouldn't rely upon past behavior predicting the future. Its an animal and animals are unpredictable.

Oof that purplish one is pretty. That is a. versicolor?
It is C. versicolor. Yes, the blue is juvenile coloration.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Their temperament can change with the wind. Perfectly docile specimens can molt and suddenly become super defensive/skittish. I wouldn't rely upon past behavior predicting the future. Its an animal and animals are unpredictable.
True it would suck if it hid all the times

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Brachypelma hamorii/smithi/emilia/boehmei - Heinously easy to care for, if you somehow manage to kill one of these then you should not reproduce... Ever.

View media item 48704
View media item 46602
Acanthoscurria geniculata - Like to be kept on slightly moist substrate but pretty easy husbandry-wise and they don't know what hiding is, they think everything is food though so don't stick your booping appendages near it.

Nhandu chromatus - See Acanthoscurria geniculata but they can be a bit feistier.

View media item 45885
Grammostola iheringi - Can be pricey/difficult to find but I love the look of them, they grow fast and eat like tanks, can be a little high strung and they are pretty fast but not that difficult to deal with.

View media item 46982View media item 45884
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Fast growers, great eaters, skittish and fast but still suitable for a beginner.

View media item 44938
How old would you say it has to be before you know their personality?
Temperament can change at any time, they can have complete personality switch-ups from moult to moult, I have a Brachypelma hamorii (a typically "docile" species) that went from really docile to pure evil after a moult.

Oof that purplish one is pretty. That is a. versicolor?
They're all Caribena versicolor (they were moved from Avicularia well over a year ago now), blue is the sling/juvenile colouration, purple/red is the subadult/adult colouration, photos 2/5/6/7 from that post are all the same spider.

Last edited:

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
IMG_20180404_140048_242.jpg
True it would suck if it hid all the times
Well, to be honest, if the set up is appropriate you'll probably not see it that often. They're usually great webbers. They set up a funnel and call it home. Mine only comes out at night. And very often only her front legs. Case in point ^

Last edited:

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Brachypelma hamorii/smithi/emilia/boehmei - Heinously easy to care for, if you somehow manage to kill one of these then you should not reproduce... Ever.

View media item 48704
View media item 46602
Acanthoscurria geniculata - Like to be kept on slightly moist substrate but pretty easy husbandry-wise and they don't know what hiding is, they think everything is food though so don't stick your booping appendages near it.

Nhandu chromatus - See Acanthoscurria geniculata but they can be a bit feistier.

View media item 45885
Grammostola iheringi - Can be pricey/difficult to find but I love the look of them, they grow fast and eat like tanks, can be a little high strung and they are pretty fast but not that difficult to deal with.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Fast growers, great eaters, skittish and fast but still suitable for a beginner.

View media item 44938

Temperament can change at any time, they can have complete personality switch-ups from moult to moult, I have a Brachypelma hamorii (a typically "docile" species) that went from really docile to pure evil after a moult.

They're all Caribena versicolor (they were moved from Avicularia well over a year ago now), blue is the sling/juvenile colouration, purple/red is the subadult/adult colouration
That B. hamorii pic gets me every time :rofl:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
The one thing that sort of bugs me is that some sellers say on case of d.o.a you get replacement if messaged within 24hrs- good. but then they dont reimburse the shipping and on top of that you have to pay shipping once more to have a new one shipped to you and on top of that you have to send them the dead specimen? that would outweigh the cost if you bought a single t.

Which kind of feels ridiculous. I get the shipping to send new one not free, but original shipping cost should very much be reimbursed.

I guess that just makes me rather leery/wary? I was reading some websites that do that and I guess for all of that, I would rather a refund and try my luck elsewhere? Not that I expect a death, however a comment made here earlier + the comment I read on another site made me iffy.

Any sellers that you guys know would do good by you? As I would prefer same day or overnight shipping when time comes.

View attachment 272317
Well, to be honest, if the set up is appropriate you'll probably not see it that often. They're usually great webbers. They set up a funnel and call it home. Mine only comes out at night. And very often only her front legs. Case in point ^
Oof so maybe a species that doesnt hide is in order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Well, I mean, why should the seller be out the shipping cost if you have a DOA? The DOA still got shipped... Still costs them money to do so.

Personally, my most recent purchase was with Fear Not Tarantulas and she was amazingly helpful.

Edit: Every tarantula hides at some point or another. Unless you dont offer them the ability to do so, but that would be inhumane.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight

View media item 48704
View media item 46602

View media item 45885

View media item 44938

They're all Caribena versicolor (they were moved from Avicularia well over a year ago now), blue is the sling/juvenile colouration, purple/red is the subadult/adult colouration, photos 2/5/6/7 from that post are all the same spider.
Sounds good. Though all this moving thing sounds annoying. lol Moving as in switching names. Its a bit confusing.

Well, I mean, why should the seller be out the shipping cost if you have a DOA? The DOA still got shipped... Still costs them money to do so.

Personally, my most recent purchase was with Fear Not Tarantulas and she was amazingly helpful.

Edit: Every tarantula hides at some point or another. Unless you dont offer them the ability to do so, but that would be inhumane.
Question is, why should the buyer be penalized for something they didn't do? If you order during spring, check the weather ahead, and only use same day shipping wouldn't that not be enough time for a t to die from stress? d.o.a can mean anything from shipping an already sick(or dying) specimen to not properly shipping it..... When I had reptiles I rarely had that happen to me, but the times it did happen I wasn't the only one whom it had happened to.... plus when you're buying a live animal I would expect it to come alive.

I have never owned a tarantula and it only worries me because the species I like feel as if they're pricy....

Though on a sidenote isn't there some insurance for shipping certain live animals? Which would theoretically cover both sides... Because it costs both sides to ship. If I have to swallow the original shipping cost that's fine but when you have to return the d.o.a that's an extra cost you aren't quite getting back.

Ultimately, I could try with your suggestion. I doubt they'd be problematic. I guess it's the wording of things that makes me iffy.

mmm sorry if it sounds weird.

As for the hiding thing, yeah I get what you mean. Tarantulas hide during moulting I hear and after eating?

But I just meant I wanted to avoid one that would hide 24/7. A friend of mine has a zebra striped knee and it's supposed to be out there... yet it never leaves its hideout

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Question is, why should the buyer be penalized for something they didn't do? If you order during spring, check the weather ahead, and only use same day shipping wouldn't that not be enough time for a t to die from stress? d.o.a can mean anything from shipping an already sick(or dying) specimen to not properly shipping it..... When I had reptiles I rarely had that happen to me, but the times it did happen I wasn't the only one whom it had happened to.... plus when you're buying a live animal I would expect it to come alive.

I have never owned a tarantula and it only worries me because the species I like feel as if they're pricy....

Though on a sidenote isn't there some insurance for shipping certain live animals? Which would theoretically cover both sides... Because it costs both sides to ship. If I have to swallow the original shipping cost that's fine but when you have to return the d.o.a that's an extra cost you aren't quite getting back.

Ultimately, I could try with your suggestion. I doubt they'd be problematic. I guess it's the wording of things that makes me iffy.

mmm sorry if it sounds weird.

As for the hiding thing, yeah I get what you mean. Tarantulas hide during moulting I hear and after eating?

But I just meant I wanted to avoid one that would hide 24/7. A friend of mine has a zebra striped knee and it's supposed to be out there... yet it never leaves its hideout
A DOA is a risk you as a purchaser take. I'm not sure about other dealers, but the ones I've used Their guarantees usually almost always have an option to send a photo first and that shipping back is only if they request it. From what I understand, usually the photographic evidence is sufficient. You're not at fault if it died during shipping, I agree. But from a legal standpoint, you paid for that tarantula before it shipped and once it leaves the breeders care- it's your animal/your responsibility. It's actually not required of them to even replace a DOA- most places do because it is good business to do so. If the shipper lost it, guess what? The breeder isn't required to replace it. It was out of their hands out of their care. With that being said.... REPUTABLE breeders would not send a sick/dying animal. Most won't ship one if it looks close to a molt. A reputable breeder watches weather reports and does everything in their power to make sure your animal arrives promptly and in good health. If you really are to uneasy about shipping them, find someone local that you can drive to. Or wait for a local expo. But you could drive it home and it could die from the car ride. It's always a gamble.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
A DOA is a risk you as a purchaser take. I'm not sure about other dealers, but the ones I've used Their guarantees usually almost always have an option to send a photo first and that shipping back is only if they request it. From what I understand, usually the photographic evidence is sufficient. You're not at fault if it died during shipping, I agree. But from a legal standpoint, you paid for that tarantula before it shipped and once it leaves the breeders care- it's your animal/your responsibility. It's actually not required of them to even replace a DOA- most places do because it is good business to do so. If the shipper lost it, guess what? The breeder isn't required to replace it. It was out of their hands out of their care. With that being said.... REPUTABLE breeders would not send a sick/dying animal. Most won't ship one if it looks close to a molt. A reputable breeder watches weather reports and does everything in their power to make sure your animal arrives promptly and in good health. If you really are to uneasy about shipping them, find someone local that you can drive to. Or wait for a local expo. But you could drive it home and it could die from the car ride. It's always a gamble.
True, very true. I guess I can hope my dealer is a good dealer. If my first experience doesn't end up badly I would from then onwards turn to them for all my needs shopping wise... I guess I am overthinking it.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
True, very true. I guess I can hope my dealer is a good dealer. If my first experience doesn't end up badly I would from then onwards turn to them for all my needs shopping wise... I guess I am overthinking it.
Most definitely.... For me, if I'm unsure that I will positively be home for delivery, I opt to deliver it to a shipping center, then I drive and pick it up myself. That eliminates some possibility of voiding the LAG or having the package be out in the elements or even possibly stolen.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Most definitely.... For me, if I'm unsure that I will positively be home for delivery, I opt to deliver it to a shipping center, then I drive and pick it up myself. That eliminates some possibility of voiding the LAG or having the package be out in the elements or even possibly stolen.
Oh I wasn't speaking about being refunded if you werent there. Originally I was talking about, you placed the order, stayed home that day and was actively waiting at the porch and you receive package, open it and find out its already dead.

Ah yeah I now remember as well to not use fedex. Where I live fedex literally throws packages at the porch... had that happened to me last summer when I had bought a laptop and it came broken. Here usps is careful.

cold blood

Staff member
Which kind of feels ridiculous. I get the shipping to send new one not free, but original shipping cost should very much be reimbursed.
No, the shipping is paid for and it happened, its unreasonable to expect shipping costs to be reimbursed, that money is spent.

I guess that just makes me rather leery/wary?
It shouldn't. Clearly you do not realize how infrequently DOAs happen.

Any sellers that you guys know would do good by you?
There are dozens and dozens of them...absolutely no shortage...just read the reviews, you can even go to the review page and select for the most popular or most highly rated sellers here on the boards.

Question is, why should the buyer be penalized for something they didn't do?
Its not a penalty, like I said, shipping costs are paid for, the shipping wasn't DOA, it happened as paid for.

If you order during spring, check the weather ahead, and only use same day shipping wouldn't that not be enough time for a t to die from stress?
In Europe it typically takes 3-7 days to receive orders, still, they have little issues with safe shipping. If a t is packed well, its safe and will do just fine.

can mean anything from shipping an already sick(or dying) specimen to not properly shipping it
Tarantulas aren't like reptiles, they do not suffer from illnesses in the manner that other higher animals do. You can always ask for pics of the specimen before buying, its not an issue.
Its not always pricey...if you utilize 2 day (many sellers do offer LAG with 2-3 day under good conditions) and shop right, it can be very inexpensive.

Consider A local LPS may sell a N. chromatus juvie for $40 to as much as $80. I just shipped 2 of them for a grand total of $24 including shipping costs.....compared to a LPS, ts are still vastly cheaper, even with shipping costs included....even with a $35-45 overnight fee.

guess I can hope my dealer is a good dealer
Just read the reviews first...there are a few bad ones, but they are few and far between....If I were to name the good ones I would go on for half a page or more.

But you could drive it home and it could die from the car ride. It's always a gamble.
Agreed, a car ride in a t from the LPS is in far greater danger than one packed properly for shipping, even for 3 days.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
No, the shipping is paid for and it happened, its unreasonable to expect shipping costs to be reimbursed, that money is spent.

It shouldn't. Clearly you do not realize how infrequently DOAs happen.

There are dozens and dozens of them...absolutely no shortage...just read the reviews, you can even go to the review page and select for the most popular or most highly rated sellers here on the boards.

Its not a penalty, like I said, shipping costs are paid for, the shipping wasn't DOA, it happened as paid for.

In Europe it typically takes 3-7 days to receive orders, still, they have little issues with safe shipping. If a t is packed well, its safe and will do just fine.

Tarantulas aren't like reptiles, they do not suffer from illnesses in the manner that other higher animals do. You can always ask for pics of the specimen before buying, its not an issue.
Its not always pricey...if you utilize 2 day (many sellers do offer LAG with 2-3 day under good conditions) and shop right, it can be very inexpensive.

Consider A local LPS may sell a N. chromatus juvie for $40 to as much as $80. I just shipped 2 of them for a grand total of $24 including shipping costs.....compared to a LPS, ts are still vastly cheaper, even with shipping costs included....even with a $35-45 overnight fee.

Just read the reviews first...there are a few bad ones, but they are few and far between....If I were to name the good ones I would go on for half a page or more.

Agreed, a car ride in a t from the LPS is in far greater danger than one packed properly for shipping, even for 3 days.
I don't know to quote each thing so my responses may seem a tad random but...

Okay that makes more sense. I had that mentality to cover my bases as live animals like reptiles and amphibians are rather delicate.For turtles, snakes, monitors? stress alone can easily kill them....

What kind of illness can tarantulas get?

If the shipping cost doesn't excede the cost of the specimens I don't mind it.

As for animals from LPS... yeah I dont like petstores either... today I went to petsmart to get a collar for my dog and I happened to look at the reptiles they looked in poor shape.

The one emperor scorpion there looked like it was about to die. In a tiny kritter keeper with a large water dish, a big soaked sponge in the dish and no hide outs.

The one tarantula there was a sling, looked about 1-2 inch likely 1 1/2 inch... and it was near the lid of the kritter keeper with a big web. Had no hide out, except one plant there. Had same layout as scorpion.

I am a firm believer providing a bit of space for animals... and they were lined right next to each other.

Tarantula seemed as it didnt care, but the scorp looked sickly

cold blood

Staff member
I don't know to quote each thing so my responses may seem a tad random but...
Yeah, I can help you out there.

You highlight the line you want to quote and when you do, you click on the quote icon that will appear (if you want to quote the whole message, you just use the quote icon next to the reply icon).....you can do this as many times as you like, when finished, next to the reply box you will now see an icon that says "insert quotes" (this only shows if you have used the quote icon)...click here and it will compile all of your chosen lines/posts that you chose....after you click this, you will see "quote these messages", click this and all the messages will appear and you can answer each one by one...when done you just click "post reply" as you normally would.

For turtles, snakes, monitors? stress alone can easily kill them....
Yes, I get that and this is what makes many new people nervous, but unlike other animals, ts actually love the tight dark places they are shipped in, often they resist leaving when being unpacked and sometimes even web themselves in even further.
What kind of illness can tarantulas get?
They don't...under some real questionable situations (that you are not likely to ever see) they can get a fungal or bacterial infection, but its exceedingly rare, in nearly 2 decades I have never seen this personally, just a couple times online, generally from LPS bought ts kept in abysmal conditions for extended periods of time.

The biggest issue comes from parasites, but this is really only an issue with wild caught specimens...most of what you would purchase would be CB or slings that wouldn't have the time to get a parasite, even if WC. Illnesses are really a non-issue with tarantulas.

If the shipping cost doesn't excede the cost of the specimens I don't mind it.
Sometimes even if that's the case, its still worth it and cheaper than a local store, mean you can find some slings for $5-8, or even less.

But in reality, its why many, if not most of us, prefer to buy several of them at a time...buying one at a time certainly is the most expensive way to go about it...and buying several slings is also the best and actually cheapest way to purchase slings.

You can raise up 5 slings for instance, and when juvies you can sex out your female, and sell the remainder, generally for more than you paid for the lot of 5 as they are more valuable as juvies...even males.....or you can raise them to adulthood, and sell the females for even more, and trade the males for slings, cash or take a chance on a breeding loan....when breeders acquire males, its easier for them to trade you several new slings of different species for that male...making a bulk purchase of slings an excellent way to expand at virtually no future cost down the road....play it right and the hobby practically pays for its self.
I am a firm believer providing a bit of space for animals...
Yep, but ts are quite different....while most animals prefer open spaces, ts actually prefer tight, dark places (and avoid those open spaces)...part of what makes them so easy and safe to ship....the other part is that they are passive breathers, so they require almost nothing in terms of an air supply.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
You highlight the line you want to quote and when you do, you click on the quote icon that will appear (if you want to quote the whole message, you just use the quote icon next to the reply icon).....you can do this as many times as you like, when finished, next to the reply box you will now see an icon that says "insert quotes" (this only shows if you have used the quote icon)...click here and it will compile all of your chosen lines/posts that you chose....after you click this, you will see "quote these messages", click this and all the messages will appear and you can answer each one by one...when done you just click "post reply" as you normally would.
Ahh this explains why. I was trying to do it on my phone and couldn't but laptop lets me do so.
Yes, I get that and this is what makes many new people nervous, but unlike other animals, ts actually love the tight dark places they are shipped in, often they resist leaving when being unpacked and sometimes even web themselves in even further.
Yeah it makes me quite nervous I guess.
They don't...under some real questionable situations (that you are not likely to ever see) they can get a fungal or bacterial infection, but its exceedingly rare, in nearly 2 decades I have never seen this personally, just a couple times online, generally from LPS bought ts kept in abysmal conditions for extended periods of time.
The biggest issue comes from parasites, but this is really only an issue with wild caught specimens...most of what you would purchase would be CB or slings that wouldn't have the time to get a parasite, even if WC. Illnesses are really a non-issue with tarantulas.
That's actually rather reassuring. When it comes to things like fish? They die from just being looked at. Reptiles? Depends, typically for turtles other than a RES - they die rather easily. Same goes for a lot of exotics.

Sometimes even if that's the case, its still worth it and cheaper than a local store, mean you can find some slings for $5-8, or even less.

But in reality, its why many, if not most of us, prefer to buy several of them at a time...buying one at a time certainly is the most expensive way to go about it...and buying several slings is also the best and actually cheapest way to purchase slings.

You can raise up 5 slings for instance, and when juvies you can sex out your female, and sell the remainder, generally for more than you paid for the lot of 5 as they are more valuable as juvies...even males.....or you can raise them to adulthood, and sell the females for even more, and trade the males for slings, cash or take a chance on a breeding loan....when breeders acquire males, its easier for them to trade you several new slings of different species for that male...making a bulk purchase of slings an excellent way to expand at virtually no future cost down the road....play it right and the hobby practically pays for its self.
Thing is, buying slings is likelier the cheaper method and more ideal/logical thing to do... But if like me you only want 1 tarantula for the next few years(I.e. you're not going to add anything other than just one until that period passes) then you would probably rather buy one that is 100% guaranteed to be a female.

Females are ideal, males are only there for reproduction. From how I see it.

So if I want say a sexable brachypelma albo. then it would need to be a sub-adult... which would probably cost me the cost of 3-4 slings.

I don't quite understand why slings are cheaper to be honest.

Are slings fragile or something?