Brightly colored tarantulas + questions

cold blood

Staff member
Thing is, buying slings is likelier the cheaper method and more ideal/logical thing to do... But if like me you only want 1 tarantula for the next few years(I.e. you're not going to add anything other than just one until that period passes) then you would probably rather buy one that is 100% guaranteed to be a female.

Females are ideal, males are only there for reproduction. From how I see it.
This is a common misconception IMO.

I firmly believe that young males are excellent first ts. First off, they progress much faster, which means you learn things faster....then when they mature, you learn a valuable lesson as to what to look for in a MM, which helps avoid unscrupulous sellers trying to pass off MMs. In addition, you are only getting a few years with it, so if its not something you decide you want long term, you aren't stuck with it for 2-3 decades. On top of that, when you get a MM, it allows you do trade or sell it, and in doing do, you will make personal connections within the hobby, specifically with breeders and expand to new areas at no cost, or very little cost.

I think males can be hugely beneficial to a new keeper, and am always frustrated by the MM bashing you typically see. There's nothing wrong with a male and no one should be upset by owning one. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

MMs make the hobby's would go 'round...so to speak.

I don't quite understand why slings are cheaper to be honest.
Its because when breeders have them, they are in abundance...also they are always unsexed. Larger ts mean someone had to take a considerable amount of time getting them to that larger size...this can be very time consuming...although its not always. There is always more slings available than juvies and adults....so just the supply factor keeps them at lower cost.

Slings do have a rep for being fragile, but in truth, its only a few species that are, most are really easy to raise if given the proper instruction...which you will have being here. I will say, raising slings is one of the great joys of owning tarantulas...watching them grow is so gratifying, plus they molt faster, and are always hungry, so they have a max prey drive....you want a t you can feed regularly, you want a sling.

Last edited:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
I firmly believe that young males are excellent first ts. First off, they progress much faster, which means you learn things faster....then when they mature, you learn a valuable lesson as to what to look for in a MM, which helps avoid unscrupulous sellers trying to pass off MMs. In addition, you are only getting a few years with it, so if its not something you decide you want long term, you aren't stuck with it for 2-3 decades. On top of that, when you get a MM, it allows you do trade or sell it, and in doing do, you will make personal connections within the hobby, specifically with breeders and expand to new areas at no cost, or very little cost.

I think males can be hugely beneficial to a new keeper, and am always frustrated by the MM bashing you typically see. There's nothing wrong with a male and no one should be upset by owning one. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

MMs make the hobby's would go 'round...so to speak.
True... I guess I just like the females butt. I like how the females' are more bulbous and round over all.

Also what's MMs?

If I ever found one online I wanted to buy, and was given an exact picture, would you mind telling me if what's in the picture is what I'm paying for? I.e. if I wanted a b. smithi female it doesn't turn out to be a male or doesn't end up being a similar looking species? Would be rather helpful.

Its because when breeders have them, they are in abundance...also they are always unsexed. Larger ts mean someone had to take a considerable amount of time getting them to that larger size...this can be very time consuming...although its not always. There is always more slings available than juvies and adults....so just the supply factor keeps them at lower cos
True, that makes sense.

Also looking into brachys, and I guess I will look at more species overall. I want to find one that I find pretty, and isn't hiding for most of the time.

Do tarantulas see? Or are they like scorpions which according to a member here can only tell the brightness but can't really see?

cold blood

Staff member
True... I guess I just like the females butt. I like how the females' are more bulbous and round over all.
Keep in mind that prior to a male maturing, most species look exactly the same as a female. Its only once the male matures that he gets the smaller abdomen and longer legs.
Also what's MMs?
Mature Male.
If I ever found one online I wanted to buy, and was given an exact picture, would you mind telling me if what's in the picture is what I'm paying for?
of course.

Also looking into brachys, and I guess I will look at more species overall. I want to find one that I find pretty, and isn't hiding for most of the time.
I would strongly suggest G. pulchripes. Its one of the best beginner species, and grows faster than most beginner species do. They're typically very docile, but are excellent eaters and generally active moving sub around and digging holes. The females get large and bulky...they are readily available, both as slings and adults and everything in between so they are more reasonably priced.

Really just a great species to own.

Do tarantulas see?
Yes, but not very well. Arboreals see better, but still not like we do by any stretch.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
I would strongly suggest G. pulchripes. Its one of the best beginner species, and grows faster than most beginner species do. They're typically very docile, but are excellent eaters and generally active moving sub around and digging holes. The females get large and bulky...they are readily available, both as slings and adults and everything in between so they are more reasonably priced.
Ah I was watching this video:

And so far from this selection I like(not in order):

Arizona Blonde

Brachypelma albopilosum

Chilean Gold Burst

Not mentioned:

Puerto Rican Tarantulas? I wonder how many different kinds there are.

There's a list I am compiling on the ones I like.

Also I am thinking of buying a large painting brush (like the long ones that you use to paint on a canvas) as this seems more gentle way to herd them with 0 room for mistake- I mean how can you hurt a tarantula with a brush?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Are the versicolors the martiniques? because youtube shows them as dull colored like dark with barely any bright.
you know you should be aware that the one time I was nearly bitten by a tarantula, it was because I was still wearing my garden gloves when I came in and was reaching in to just change out a water bowl really quickly. Scared her to death! My little New World arboreal came out like a bat out of hell and was going to get those gloves!

You seem to be really worried about a spider ever actually touching you. I can completely relate! I got into tarantulas because I was afraid of spiders and that fact was really getting on my nerves. At first, if one touched me, even if I knew intellectually that it wasn't going to bite me, would squeal and jump up and down and get up on the bed and squeal some more while I jumped up and down on the bed. Now, if it's a new world species other than my nhandu mature female, I don't even bother with tongs: I just sort of scootch 'em from one space to another with my fingers. Never been bitten, only once ever nearly been bitten, and that was because of the gloves. You've got to trust the process and that you will come to have more affection for than fear of your spiders.

Ps, start with the Arizona blond. She'll be your least colorful spider in the long run, but you'll love her best. And if you ever do have a hankering to handle, they tolerate it very well. I'll tell you right now that I occasionally handle my locally sourced desert blondes because I usually start a relationship handling when I pick them up to move them off the middle of the highway. They climb all over me in the car, and it's just okay.

I don't make a habit of handling my other tarantulas. And anybody who seems to be having a bad day, I do use paint brushes to gently switch them along.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
because I usually start a relationship handling when I pick them up to move them off the middle of the highway.
Lol sorry just out of context sounds funny a bit. But yeah I live up north. Nowhere with anything other than recluse I think, wolf spiders, and black widows.
Ps, start with the Arizona blond.
What would you say you like about them? Also what would you say for the curly hair? I am thinking I might just get two. A sling of a fast growing species, and a nearly adult of a slow grower. But if you say blondy then why not?

cold blood

Staff member
What would you say you like about them? Also what would you say for the curly hair? I am thinking I might just get two. A sling of a fast growing species, and a nearly adult of a slow grower. But if you say blondy then why not?
Curly hair (B. albopilosum) is a wonderful choice...a much better eater than the blonde, and at smaller sizes, a much faster grower. G. pulchripes is another to consider...larger than most beginner species (7" range for females) and a supreme eater, and faster growth than the typical beginner...at least until the juvie stage....but typically very docile as well. The pulchripes and albo are also some of the more active ts you could look at.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Curly hair (B. albopilosum) is a wonderful choice...a much better eater than the blonde, and at smaller sizes, a much faster grower. G. pulchripes is another to consider...larger than most beginner species (7" range for females) and a supreme eater, and faster growth than the typical beginner...at least until the juvie stage....but typically very docile as well. The pulchripes and albo are also some of the more active ts you could look at.
I thought the pulchripes were the slower growing of the bunch according to one of the videos. Albos seem to be cute but now I am stuck between that and the blonde. I started looking more at it after they mentioned it. They look rather slick. Though I see some can be complete ass hats.

But the albos are nice too. So adorable.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
G. pulchra is a slow grower. G. pulchripes grows reasonably fast (for a Grammostola).
How slow is too slow and how fast is fast? All of this sounds very relative.

Is there a growth rate chart for these T's?

As for the curly hairs and the arizona blonde's do you guys know the average size?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How slow is too slow and how fast is fast? All of this sounds very relative.

Is there a growth rate chart for these T's?
It varies widely based on temperatures and feeding schedules, but here are the molting and size records for my two pulchras:

pulchra #1 (acquired on 9/5/2015 at 0.75")
  • 10/7/2015: 1.25"
  • 12/22/2015
  • 2/16/2016
  • 10/29/2016
  • 2/10/2017: 2.25"
  • 10/31/2017
  • 1/1/2018: 2.75"

pulchra #2 (acquired on 9/26/2015 at 2")
  • 12/2/2015
  • 1/19/2016: 3"
  • 1/31/2017: 3.5"

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
It varies widely based on temperatures and feeding schedules, but here are the molting and size records for my two pulchras:

pulchra #1 (acquired on 9/5/2015 at 0.75")
  • 10/7/2015: 1.25"
  • 12/22/2015
  • 2/16/2016
  • 10/29/2016
  • 2/10/2017: 2.25"
  • 10/31/2017
  • 1/1/2018: 2.75"

pulchra #2 (acquired on 9/26/2015 at 2")
  • 12/2/2015
  • 1/19/2016: 3"
  • 1/31/2017: 3.5"
Yeah that's... that's very slow growing.

I wonder how fast the fast growers take.

Also I was looking at native species of tarantulas to the US and I stumble upon this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ds-of-tarantulas-to-u-s-idUSTRE70I0EG20110119

Are brachypelmas really protected? Does it affect me?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also I was looking at native species of tarantulas to the US and I stumble upon this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ds-of-tarantulas-to-u-s-idUSTRE70I0EG20110119

Are brachypelmas really protected? Does it affect me?
Yes, but it is legal to buy, sell, and breed Brachypelma within the U.S. (They're listed under appendix II, which allows domestic trade but prohibits export from their native country without the proper permit.)

And regardless of whether a species is listed in CITES, it's illegal to have tarantulas shipped to the U.S. from another country without going through the proper procedure (which is cost-prohibitive for retail buyers). That's called brown-boxing, and it's a felony. Buy only from sellers located within the U.S.!

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Yes, but it is legal to buy, sell, and breed Brachypelma within the U.S. (They're listed under appendix II, which allows domestic trade but prohibits export from their native country without the proper permit.)

And regardless of whether a species is listed in CITES, it's illegal to have tarantulas shipped to the U.S. from another country without going through the proper procedure (which is cost-prohibitive for retail buyers). That's called brown-boxing, and it's a felony. Buy only from sellers located within the U.S.!
Oof. Guy was naughty and got caught doing it then.

It just threw me off a bit. Haven't heard of illegal imports since... well reptile hobby...

I have so many choices right now to choose from and in my own time I would seriously want one of the ones I've been mentioning throughout the post.. that nhandu, aphonopelmas chalc, as for brachypelmas.... the curly haired and the albiceps seem nice.

The more I see the arizona one, I like the look-- but their behaviors from video to video? I keep seeing little arselings flicking hairs left and right...

Though this guy was sort of pestering her a bit...

as for avics, the versicolors, and this one purple one is all I have seen so far.

Not sure what videos you've been watching but my lass looks incredible in hers. Obviously she looks better in pics but still.

Ah wow that is a beauty! Looks absolutely stunning.

Does anyone know which one is this?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
I'm relatively new to the hobby, but here's my 2 pence. If you like colour, get a Chromatopelma cyanepubescens (Greenbottle Blue). They're easy to keep, don't hide much, produce a lot of web, are good eaters and despite being skittish, they're still quite docile. That was my first tarantula and now I have two of them (9 tarantulas overall).

However, you've said you like the Brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair) and I can't recommend that enough. My curly hair is probably my favourite tarantula. She's active, eats well, as docile as a kitten, doesn't hide and is great to observe.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I would strongly suggest G. pulchripes. Its one of the best beginner species,
I second this. They're attractive, easy to keep, generally docile.... This is the spider I recommend to anyone wanted to get into T's. They're wonderful. The problem is, OP wants a T that stays out in the open almost all the time and is very colorful. An adult G. pulchripes perhaps, but the youngsters are good burrowers/hiders. I haven't seen my juvie male since November. Plus, while I personally find them very beautiful, they aren't in the same league as C. versicolor colorwise. If the OP were willing to negotiate on some of their demands, I agree a G. pulchripes would be perfect. I love mine. He was my first ever tarantula and I don't tell my others, but he's kinda my favorite :embarrassed:

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Lol sorry just out of context sounds funny a bit. But yeah I live up north. Nowhere with anything other than recluse I think, wolf spiders, and black widows.
Sorry, just caught this.... Are you saying up north we have brown recluses? Because, I mean, unless their range has expanded dramatically, we don't. As far as I know, there are no Loxosceles reclusa established in the North East. And why are poor wolf spiders included with widows and recluses?? None of the Lycosidae sp. are medically significant. We DO have L. variolus and I believe a bit of mactans up here, but I've never seen one.... ::mumbles of resentment:: Honestly, I'd love to find a recluse up here.... All the pest control guys say we have them.... I always say I'll pay cash for a locally collected specimen, but no one ever calls back.... :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
Does anyone know which one is this?
judging by the hairs on the rump, that looks liks a species in the genus Xenesthis.

I second this. They're attractive, easy to keep, generally docile.... This is the spider I recommend to anyone wanted to get into T's. They're wonderful. The problem is, OP wants a T that stays out in the open almost all the time and is very colorful. An adult G. pulchripes perhaps, but the youngsters are good burrowers/hiders. I haven't seen my juvie male since November. Plus, while I personally find them very beautiful, they aren't in the same league as C. versicolor colorwise. If the OP were willing to negotiate on some of their demands, I agree a G. pulchripes would be perfect. I love mine. He was my first ever tarantula and I don't tell my others, but he's kinda my favorite :embarrassed:
Well i rsised 162 (half a sac) and didnt have that experience with them....house any sling in an oversize enclosure and thats bound to happen. I still have 5, and none ever hide...in fact every one has totally blocked their hides making them unusable...